View Single Post
Old 07-29-2007, 10:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lots fo different cars that change all of the time
Not Ranked     
Default Wow!!!! Another Great Trip

Rolled into San Antonio Thursday evening towing the trailer with the 69 Mercury Maurauder. Friday morning I went to Lonesome Dove Ranch to unload the car and meet again with the soldiers and check on progress. The newly powdercoated frame for the Bronco had been delivered and work was progressing. We unloaded the Marauder. Hugh Long, the ranch owner then took me to where the finifhout of the new break room was being completed. Sheet rock was almost completely hung and texturing was about to begin. Plumbers would be installing the new showers next week. He is an amazing man...what a heart.

While waiting for the rest of the guys to come, I helped one soldier work on his exhaust system, talked to Chris who kindof ram rods the guys, took an informal inventory of what work had been done to the Bronco and ehlped get lunch ready for the guys.

Two huge buses rumbled into the area. One for just people and one for wheel chair bound soldiers, that was equipped as a mini hospital should any of the soldiers have a problem. Twice as many soldiers than our first meeting made their way into the shop and began to "oooo" and "ahhhh" over the Merc. Many began making plans on what the wanted to do with the car.

During lunch, I answered questions, talked with some new soldiers that I hadn't met, heard more stories, talked with family members and just watched these great guys.

After lunch, more talk, listening to their needs and wants and then give them an update on what is happening with the program and hoqw it is being refined. Then the good parts...presenting them their first piece of automtive art that had been donated, giving Janis some checks and other donations that had come directly to me and then........
INFORMING THE GUYS THAT AER MANUFACTURING IN ADDISON HAD COMMITTED TO FURNISH THEM A BRAND NEW CRATE MOTOR FOR THEIR PROJECT. They went NUTS. What a class act AER is and always has been!

Sadly I had to leave for Dallas after a truly great day. My drive home was largely spending time taking calls from the soldiers and family members expressing thanks for all of the help being given by so many of you.

I wish all of you had the chance to meet these heros and their families.

Side note: a gentleman from West Texas has even gone far enough to start a fund for college for one of the soldiers family. It's the people that will make the soldiers lives somewhere near normal.

Thank you to all of you that have helped. Thes comes from the soldiers by way of me. They are truly greatful.

More updates in two weeks when I go back again.

Jay

Run & Gun participant 1998-2005