View Single Post
Old 08-30-2001, 10:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default MG BIG Brakes

Hello, I am the guy who built the above mentioned Hawk 289 Cobra. Assuming you have MGB spindles here is how to have incredible stopping power. Get the rear 12" rotors for a '90 Covette and the front calipers for the same '90 Corvette. These calipers are finned aluminum and look very good on a Cobra. These calipers can also be found on the SVT Cobra Mustang with "Cobra" embossed on them. BEAR Racing BearClaws are also the same. The Corvette are easier to find and have more of a vintage look. You will need to have a machinist make an adapter plate to bolt up the calipers. This plate is very simple. I probably should have traced it before installing it. The guy who has the car now may be willing to trace this for you. It is basically a flat piece of steel with four holes. Then two of the holes have had material welded on them to raise it about a 1/4 of an inch so that the caliper is centered over the rotor. The rotor mounts to the rear of the hub with four bolts. The center hole was opened slightly to match the MG rotor and the MG bolt pattern (to disc not to wheel) was drilled. This is a very easy way to upgrade your brakes. If you want to spend more you can get a bolt on kit from DWPilbeam@aol.com in England.