Thread: Aluminum blocks
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2008, 07:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #89, KCR aluminum 427 windsor
Not Ranked     

I had concerns about an aluminum block as well, when I was searching for my Cobra. I ended up buying a Backdraft with a Keith Craft Racing all-aluminum 427 Windsor stroker. It puts out 612 hp & 615 lb-ft of torque, but the all-aluminum engine keeps the vehicle weight to 2240 lbs... not bad, as Backdrafts are a little bigger than most replicas. Mine has the Dart aluminum block, which my research indicated was a pretty stout block.

I don't think there are any overly special considerations to be made... it's not a cheap, garden-variety engine, and I treat it accordingly. I'm probably more cautious about proper warm-up... and I always keep my eye on the coolant temp. So far, the biggest issue for me has been getting in the habit of routinely going around the engine & making sure all the bolts are properly tightened (carb, intake, headers, etc.).

as for streetability, I'd think cam & gear selection would be the primary factors, but I'm no expert. The stroked small block doesn't fill the engine bay like a big block would, but there's more room to get in & work on it... and probably a little more room for the engine to "breathe". Good luck with whatever you decide on...
BDR #89- KCR aluminum 427 windsor, TKO-600