View Single Post
Old 02-23-2008, 08:57 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Brent,

This bill is DEAD. It never got out of committee. Here is an e-mail reply from Senator Tom.

"I understand your frustration. The bill is not going to pass, I didn't even try to get it out of committee. What I wanted to do was start what I believe is an important conversation we as a society need to have regarding how we can reduce our adverse environment impacts, while reducing out dependence on foreign oil from an unstable region. Pouring billions into the Middle East is adding fuel to the fire.

My frustration stems from the auto companies fixation on every car going zero to 60 in under 5 seconds. There are a ton of clean burning diesels in Europe that are getting 50+ MPG. The US auto manufacturers are looked into yesterdays mentality that they can make $10,000 off every SUV sold. I remember in 2005 when we were debating the clean car bill (HB1397), when a lobbyist out from Detroit told me, "We (auto companies) have Washington DC locked up." Washington State has a rich history of showing leadership, and I believe we must do everything we can to intelligently address global warming. I appreciate your thoughts and feedback.

Best of success,

Rodney Tom
State Senator
p 360.786.7694
o 800.562.6000 hotline
e tom.rodney@leg.wa.gov
w SDC - Senator Rodney Tom "

Last edited by jwd; 02-23-2008 at 09:03 AM..