View Single Post
Old 04-08-2008, 04:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Just to clarify the situation. I did not build the engine or install the gear on the dizzy. The engine was built by a professional engine builder. He specified the distributor to use in the paperwork I received. Unfortuately, as i found out after the fact is that the reason he spifically specified the model distributor was that it had the proper cast gear on it. There was no direct discussion on the actual dizzy gear as he assumed i would just drop the dizzy in and not read the instructions. Which is usually what i would have done. The fact that the engine was so expensive and the dizzy having that big red warning tag is what prompted me to call Comp as that is what the warning tag said to do. If I would have called the builder instead of Comp, I would have installed the dizzy with the gear it came with and never had this problem. So to be fair, if I would have ignored the instructions on the dizzy and called the builder instead of the cam maker, the mistake would never had been made. However, the cam maker is supposed to know more about what works with their product then anyone else, so why are they saying the wrong thing? The dizzy gear was installed by a machine shop that does it all the time. The only thing I actually installed was the dizzy itself. Both times. So again, even if I might have by some small chance of installed the dizzy wrong the first time, then why is the dizzy gear undamaged? Anyway, i just wanted to be clear that i did not build the engine at home. The builder builds hundreds of engines a year and has built this exact same engine many times before. He always specified the same dizzy which has a cast gear on it. The only time there has been a failure was mine. So all the other engines with a cast gear have run fine for thousands of miles. Mine only made it 150 miles. The damage to the rest of the engine was caused by the metal filings from the cam. No other causal damage was found and it was rebuilt by the same builder and has well over 1000 miles since it was fixed and is running fine.

Mike