View Single Post
Old 04-08-2008, 05:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Have a couple of question Mike

FFRCobraMike Mike looking at the cam and distributor gears, I have acouple of questions. Is it possible that the end play on the cam was not checked? If this was a retro roller kit, Some need a cam plate with a roller bearing to hold the cams in location. Some have a front thrust bearing that pushes the cam back to hold in location. Some motors, FE aftermarket had the distributor hole not machined correctly and caused the same problem. If you have the money, send the cam and gear out for testing and see if the rockwell is correct. I worked in a Caddie store in 88-93. The 4.1 motor had soft camshaft cores and would wear out both parts just like yours. Some cars had 100K some had 30K. How is the oil pump? is it a HVHP? Extra drag could cause this problem. I have not looked at a windsor motor, where is the oil coming from to lube this location? (between the gears) You may want to look into the composite gear for your distributor. I now run one with my roller and HVHP oil pump. This may fix the problem. Rick L.