View Single Post
Old 04-09-2008, 10:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Venom 351W
Not Ranked     

If I can come to Mike’s defense here. Back in 2006 I had a similar problem with my CompCam billet steel cam (Hydraulic Roller 35-426-8) in my 351W.

Out for a drive one sunny day and it stopped running. Had it towed home and discovered the cam gear was striped. I discussed the problem with my engine builder. He called CompCam and discussed the problem with them. He told me to remove the cam and give it to him. He sent it to CompCam and they replaced the cam with the comment that they had received a bad batch of cores from China.

CompCam highly recommended that I use the “Carbon Untra-Poly Composite” distributor gear that CompCam had just introduced. They sent it along with the replacement cam. The cost for the distributor gear was $115.69.

I was really shocked that CompCam would replace a “race part”. However, my engine builder said they were replacing it because of the bad batch of cores that they grind the cams from. Of course, he buys several hundred cams from them each year. That may have been the real leverage.

To Mike, I would recommend talking to CompCam about which batch your cam came from. It may be the same batch my cam came from. In that case you may get some satisfaction. Also, the Carbon Untra-Poly Composite distributor gear solves all the questions about which distributor gear, steel or bronze, to use.