View Single Post
Old 04-09-2008, 02:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Still Working on This
Not Ranked     
Default CA Small Block Build/Two Choices

Apologies for the somewhat cryptic title, but am looking at two options for a new small block.

First option is to purchase a new, Ford Boss 302 small block crate engine.

Second option is to have a local builder start with an original 289 small block (cast in the mid-60's), and have him build it from the ground-up.

In a discussion with the engine builder, he mentioned that the top reliable HP out of the older 289 block will be in the 400hp range. Conversely, if I start with the newer Boss 302 engine, he would have to work hard to keep it under 450hp. (I am leaving much detail out of this regarding options we are looking at for each engine).

To be honest, I am not particularly worried about the HP difference, but am wondering that if I build an engine from an original 1960's block, whether I might be able to have the engine smogged as a mid-60's engine versus having to get a permanent SB100 exemption.

Has any member in CA taken this route, big block or small block? Sincerely not trying to get around the system, just wondering what end result might be should I take the 289 route.

Thanks for your input.

Bob