View Single Post
Old 05-12-2008, 08:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, PE 514
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 767Jockey View Post
To take what Bryon says a step further, you get to the point where more power really is just meaningless. The cars just become traction limited. What's left is handling. You make the traction problem worse by putting more weight in the front of the car. For me, I'd take a slight loss in power potential with the aluminum FE, and have less weight in the front for better handling. You may actually go faster with less power in this situation due to weight distribution and it's effect on traction and handling.

As far as the additional cost for the FE, I would guess that he value of the car with the FE over the 385 would probably account for some if not all of the additional cost. When you look at the value of a Cobra, as a general rule they retain their value as a result of the originality. Most Cobras at the high end of the price scale are usually the most original looking ones. Again, not a hard and fast rule, but as a general trend I think that's a fairly correct statement. You can rarely go wrong with an FE in a Cobra.

The 385 series engines are AWESOME engines, and there is nothing wrong with them. Personally I like them a lot. There is no question that you can make more power, more reliably and cheaper with a 385 than a FE. It's hard to argue, however that a large heavy cast iron 385 is a better engine for a Cobra than an aluminum FE. A better engine? perhaps. A better engine for a Cobra? Personally I don't think so. Your thoughts may vary.
Doug

I'd have to agree with Doug. End value will be increased, offsetting the higher initial cost. Weight of an aluminum FE would probably be comparable to an iron small block -- definitely improving handling. Power to weight ratios with the aluminum FE (with the impressive HP/Tourque numbers produced by a stroked Keith motor) will still be blow-your-socks-off good.

Bryon