View Single Post
Old 07-20-2008, 12:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: UK Ram SC. KC-Yates 373, Jerico 5 speed.
Not Ranked     
Default Road race shocks.

With my limited experience, and my latest cobra being a very purpose built vehicle, I got talked into a set of custom Bilstein gas shocks which have to go back to the shop for valving adjustments, I wanted Koni double adjustable shocks and was told they are finicky and not worth it........well BS!

The advantage of Bilstein, Koni, and very expensive Penske, Ohlins shocks are they are very good shocks and much better for serious racing than other cheaper brands, and if I set up my Bilsteins for the springs etc and dry track conditions thats all good they should perform very well for serious times on slicks, but if I need to make an adjustment for weather or different track conditions etc, I cant unless I send them back to the shop, that is where Koni comes in if you can get your valving in the middle of the range then you can fine tune with the double adjusters.

So I have learned it is to get the shock to cater for your application, and the serious track guys " HERE IN NZ"especially single seaters etc tend to run either Koni Ohlins etc for the easy trackside adjustment factor, but some of their entry level Formula Ford cars use Bilstein. The difference between race Bilsteins and Konis was $1000 but I reckon a bit of time and on my local tracks I should be able to get a good result as my car isnt exactly a F1 car!!
One point though I think on car adjustable Bilsteins can be had at plenty of $$$$$,

The 1960's rocked!