View Single Post
Old 07-20-2008, 04:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default You are talking to one of the best Scott

coyled Scott the guy that responded in #2,4 is one of the best suspension guys out there. He has the proof and records to back this up. He has done lectures at R&G. The info was right on the money. He explained basic on spring weight, ridehieght, wieghting of the car, how and where to move the wieght around, Acherman angles, and bumpsteer. His 4 hour lecture cost me $600.00+ dollars and worth every penny. You know that what you setup for the track and racing is no good for street driving unless you have the SMOOTHEST roads in your state. I am running QA1 and increase my front springs by 150lbs. I am running an all aluminium motor in my ERA. If you are really serious about doing this and go out and buy roadracing tires, You will need a good temp reading gauge for tire temps, good air pressure gauge for hot temps, and a HRP race sheet for all the other stuff to help you make adjustments. Alignments and bumpsteering are the most important things and change from track to track for roadracing. This is just like the nascar guys. We just don't have a large team for all the adjustments. There are a couple of suspension books out there to give you a basic understanding of how and what to do to make the car handle better. Start with getting the weight in all 4 corners none with you in full race mode. Full or 3/4 tank of gas in the backend. Gas is 7.5 lbs a gallon. Get the ride height set, an alignment print out of the car, and start from there. You want about a 48-52% front to back ratio. I thought 50/50 was ideal, I was wrong. I shopped hard for the best deals on the shocks and springs. I beat the Summit price with both parts again there shock only price. Dirttrack guys will give you a better price. My car went 3 seconds faster last year in the roadcourse with this change to the suspension. The nose stop plowing and diving into the turns. The tracking was flat and smoother. I am working on the bumpsteering next. I have thanked Morris for his ideas and help with setting up a car. I have 28+ years of wrenching and repairing cars. This is a whole different level. Rick L Ps I was told by some people that the spring rate was TOO HIGH. The guys racing are another 50 to 175 lbs more than me with spring rates. Some have ground effects, some don't. My ERA is 2705lbs with 1/2 tank of gas, minus my fat @$$. We are not going there!!! Scott Morris and his PRO driver Steve had there car on the cover of KitCar mag as the fastest cobra. They forgot to say one of the best every built. The engineering is top line PRO work. I have watch them race this car. I wonder if Steve is even awake when driving. Very smooth driver, almost machine like, and his hair is perfect.

Last edited by RICK LAKE; 07-20-2008 at 04:26 AM..