View Single Post
Old 01-18-2009, 03:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default I go with the block first, next year the FI system

FUNFER2 Kevin Your car is like a house, If it doesn't have a good foundation, it's going to colapes. I would shop hard for the block, get a crank kit for Barry R. unless you find one cheaper and keep the 428 shortblock as a backup motor. If you can find a machinist to check and assembly the block for under 1 K you will have about half of the money for the FI system. If you are going to swap motors, do all the plumping for the FI system withthe motor out. Cap off the lines until you are ready for the FI system. Rough break down, $4,000.00 of an Aluminum Ponds block, ( guessing on this price) Barry's crank kit 2,400.00 unless this has gone up. Machine work and assembly $1,000.00, gaskets, oil, ARP fasteners, $600.00. I built my first Shelby motor for $13,000.00 with all new parts but the 428 crank that was 10-10 under. This didn't include the FI system for my car. Machine work and assembly was $ 1,400.00 dollars for a blueprinted short block. What's 1 more year? Just be careful and not drive your car into any more houses. That place was not a quick lube for the car. Rick L. Ps forget about the 600/600 numbers, I have 550 and 524 and my car is now a handful to drive with 3.31 gears. You can build a real nice torque motor and have many years without any problems. Check with KCR for a hydro roller cam shaft. I have the small crane in my car now, 587-607 and make the numbers above.

Last edited by RICK LAKE; 01-18-2009 at 03:53 AM..