View Single Post
Old 04-28-2009, 05:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance MKIII #887, drive it a lot!
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Kellogg
Not Ranked     

There are a few replica owners that use their Cobra as a "Daily Driver". I have driven my SPF rain/sun/snow year around in upstate NY for several years. I haven't racked up the miles of some drivers on this forum - I seem to remember a FF owner with LOTS of miles in a previous thread, but my SPF has seen several years of rain and snow.

Don't want to clutter the thread with photos, but here is a link to a photo of my SPF "daily driver"
http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/s...6&ppuser=14970

My friend Don Morse has a beautiful BDR in a one of a kind color. My SPF is a traditional Blue/White. When his car is in the shop, I always hear great comments about his car. The BDR and SPF look very different from each other when parked side by side. Some prefer the looks of the BDR. Others like the look of the SPF. It is simply a matter of preference. Neither is an "exact" copy of the orginal.

When it comes to engine choices, I recommend getting more horsepower than you think you need. You can always add a throttle stop if you have too much horsepower, but it's much harder to go the other way

Another thought...
It is a little known fact that Lance, the CEO of SPF, works very hard to maintain the ownership experience AFTER the sale. He and his staff particpate in ownership discussions and get-togethers, working hard to support the current owner base, and support and improve the product. I'm not sure, but he may even have a photo of my SPF hanging somewhere....

Your dealer can make or break your Cobra experience if you buy new. There are good dealers out there for both brands. I have very limited experience with BDR, but highly recommend Olthoff as an East Coast SPF dealer. Don't just talk to the dealer - ask for the names of a couple of customers - perhaps a recent customer and one that has owned their replica for a couple of years, and ask THEM what they think of the dealer you are considering.

Spend some quality time researching your purchase, and you will be sure to enjoy your replica for years to come.
Enjoy the hunt!
Jim Kellogg
Breesport, NY