View Single Post
Old 08-28-2009, 03:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Tires, performance, tuning.....Yikes !!!

OK...not sure if this is the appropriate forum or not, but check out this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqkxu8TsJfw

Well, I don't think I can do what they are doing....well, I can, but not easily. Even with BFG T/As (which are supposedly not very good) I just accelerate faster and faster. I guess that's really a good thing.

So why is it I can't easily spin?

360 single plane manifold not conducive to low end torque

2x4 Holleys with progressive linakage, again not conducive to low end torque

mech only dist....not the optimim timing for part throttle

limited slip differential

I actually like my set-up...docile down low, but once over about 2000 rpm it comes alive. No shortage of higher rpm hp. In fact, a good 2nd gear run, shifting into third is with no more than 1/2 throttle and the steering is getting light with little weight on the front wheels.

So, if I keep the rpms up quite a bit, and ride the clutch I can spin. Is that typical?

ps: I have a 428 with RG 5-speed and a 3.07 differential. Crane did a computyer estimate and came up with 480 peak hp, however I think that's a bit optomistic as it assumes perfect ignition timing and fuel delivery.

EDIT: Let me clarify. In the linked video, many of the Cobra seem to have extremely "instant acceleration". Hard to hear if they are revving much before they let out the clutch, but it appears many arn't. Sort of wondering exactly what's going on.

Last edited by Argess; 08-28-2009 at 06:58 PM..