View Single Post
Old 09-26-2009, 08:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

I pulled the pan today and found my problem - one of the bolts was broken. I really didn't think I over-torqued anything before, but maybe I did. Of course it's the bolt on the corner by the cross member so its a bit hard to get at.

So I have sprayed it several times with penetrating oil. I then drilled a hole in the bolt and inserted a screw extractor and i can't frickin' believe it, but the extractor broke off in the hole. The bolt is broken off below the surface of the hole and the extractor is about flush with the hole, so there is nothing to grab onto to remove it. I tried to drill it, but I think I need a harder bit as the extractor steel is harder than the bolt by quite a bit. I also hit the extractor nub a few times with a screwdriver and hammer to see if i could loosen it.

None of the other bolts were at all hard to remove, so I am surprised this one is being such a bugger.

So in the AM I plan to go get a cobalt bit to drill out the extractor and also buy a tougher extractor. Hopefully the penetrating oil will help some too. I hope I don't screw up the threads in the hole getting this thing out. Anything I am not thinking of or should try?