29 30          

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2009, 04:49 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-289 FIA, 65 Sunbeam Tiger, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Way2Fast View Post
Of these two companies, what is the general opinion as to which one makes the best vehicle? It seems that the SPF cars cost more than the BDP. What is the reason for this.....better quality or just paying more due to the association with Shelby?
ERA, oh, wait, that was not part of the equation/question was it

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 11-04-2009, 04:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BACKDRAFT
Send a message via AIM to SKINNEDR Send a message via Skype™ to SKINNEDR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickd View Post
Backdraft made in America? When did they relocate their factory from South Africa?
Good question..
I am hoping for an answer,,,
Dex...
Old 11-04-2009, 05:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Actually, Backdraft is clearly superior to Superformance. No question about it.
So, explain to me and, a few thousand other SPF owners why you think a Backdraft replica is better than an SPF. My car is as tight as the day I bought it 6 years ago and 20k miles later. Parts just seem to stay put and last.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1715, Roush Built 434 ci Stroker, Dart Block, Ported AFR 205 Heads... 561 hp / 547 tq, Former Roush Show Car, Completed and Prepped By Olthoff Racing.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom This View Post
So, explain to me and, a few thousand other SPF owners why you think a Backdraft replica is better than an SPF. My car is as tight as the day I bought it 6 years ago and 20k miles later. Parts just seem to stay put and last.
If you read through the thread it appears he is joking, but I could me mistaken.

For the OP, go look at both cars and decide if the extra $$$ for the SPF is worth it.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:29 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP01715 View Post
If you read through the thread it appears he is joking, but I could me mistaken.
What?!? You expect people to actually read and think??? C'mon. Had the SPF owner who attacked my dual roll bars been a BDR owner, I would have flipped and supported SPF as being the superior ride.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1715, Roush Built 434 ci Stroker, Dart Block, Ported AFR 205 Heads... 561 hp / 547 tq, Former Roush Show Car, Completed and Prepped By Olthoff Racing.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
What?!? You expect people to actually read and think??? C'mon. Had the SPF owner who attacked my dual roll bars been a BDR owner, I would have flipped and supported SPF as being the superior ride.
Yeah, I kind of figured that...
Old 11-04-2009, 05:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

BDP instead of BDR was a typo. Superformance was my bad. Actually I only started to look at the various Cobras about a week ago. I was really disappointed this morning to learn that a SPF listed on CC was already sold. It had just about everything I want. The good ones don't last for long. So....there seems to be a lot of views on what make is best. I think the all aluminum Kirkhams are best, but the prices are excessive. I tried to do a "search" to see other opinions but it didn't turn up any results. ??

Are the BDR's really made here now? I don't know how they would able to compete with the cheap labor in South Africa and still have a price advantage?
Old 11-04-2009, 05:49 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Are the BDR's really made here now? I don't know how they would able to compete with the cheap labor in South Africa and still have a price advantage?
Honestly, I don't know. I made the Newark part up -- I tend to spout a lot of crap on these types of threads.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4000; Shelby aluminum FE with 58mm IDAs
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Honestly, I don't know. I made the Newark part up -- I tend to spout a lot of crap on these types of threads.
Really, you only spout a lot of crap just on these types of threads!?
Old 11-04-2009, 07:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Why would you do that?
Dex...
Old 11-04-2009, 07:10 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
BDP instead of BDR was a typo. Superformance was my bad. Actually I only started to look at the various Cobras about a week ago. I was really disappointed this morning to learn that a SPF listed on CC was already sold. It had just about everything I want. The good ones don't last for long. So....there seems to be a lot of views on what make is best. I think the all aluminum Kirkhams are best, but the prices are excessive. I tried to do a "search" to see other opinions but it didn't turn up any results. ??

BDRs are not made in the US. Welcome to the wacky world of CC.

Make sure you're also monitoring Cobra Country for cars as well.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 11-04-2009, 07:43 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I think the all aluminum Kirkhams are best, but the prices are excessive.
Yes, but Kirkham's are Cobras. With a BDR or SPF, you would have a replica.
Old 11-05-2009, 06:20 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2592, Shelby alum. 527
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stentor View Post
Really, you only spout a lot of crap just on these types of threads!?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKINNEDR View Post
Why would you do that?
Dex...
He can't help himself. Patrick also adds "facts" to some of the Wikipedia topics.

Rodger
Old 11-05-2009, 06:52 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You can't take yourself too seriously around here. Way2Fast -- I don't think you can make a generalization between the two cars. I've seen examples of each that were better than the typical example of the other. That being said, with these cars you generally get more car with the more cash you put out. You should also try driving both, or at least riding in both, as well -- your local Cobra club can probably help you out there. Regardless of the car, you'll pay more for an FE under the hood. If that doesn't matter to you, stroker small blocks put out just as much power (sometimes more) and are easier/cheaper to work on. In today's economy, you'll be able to find SPF/BDR cars with strokers in them that look great for a reasonable price. But, if Mr. Mustang still has his ERA for sale, then touch base with him -- that's a dynamite car at a very fair price.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I saw the title to this thread and was so happy to see all the replies because I was wondering the same thing as Way2Fast. Then I had to wade my way through the sarcasm...lol! In all seriousness, I have never driven either car, but I saw both at Carlise last May. They both seemed like great cars and well built from what I could see. You do seem to get a lot for the $$$ with Backdraft(plus 2in longer wheelbase if that is important to you). Of course, you do get more add-ons with Superformance. I don't think you could go wrong with either one.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You do seem to get a lot for the $$$ with Backdraft(plus 2in longer wheelbase if that is important to you). Of course, you do get more add-ons with Superformance. I don't think you could go wrong with either one.

What are those noticeable differences between both BDR and SP ?
To warrant the extra $10,000 for a SUPERFORMANCE.

Dex.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
You can't take yourself too seriously around here. Way2Fast -- I don't think you can make a generalization between the two cars. I've seen examples of each that were better than the typical example of the other. That being said, with these cars you generally get more car with the more cash you put out. You should also try driving both, or at least riding in both, as well -- your local Cobra club can probably help you out there. Regardless of the car, you'll pay more for an FE under the hood. If that doesn't matter to you, stroker small blocks put out just as much power (sometimes more) and are easier/cheaper to work on. In today's economy, you'll be able to find SPF/BDR cars with strokers in them that look great for a reasonable price. But, if Mr. Mustang still has his ERA for sale, then touch base with him -- that's a dynamite car at a very fair price.
I guess I'll be learning about the "jokers" on the forum.....but the above post goes to prove that even "they" can be serious and give good advice once in awhile
Old 11-05-2009, 09:57 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2117; 331 stroker; TKO600
Not Ranked     

There are quite a few Superformance and BDR cars on Cobracountry. However I would be looking at the ERA's listed there as well. There are two silver 427's and a beautiful blue one. My personal choice would the the silver FIA car - really nice. Enjoy the research and I highly recommend visiting the ERA factory in New Britain, Ct (unless Patrick has heard that they relocated to South Africa?? Or Newark!!)
Old 11-05-2009, 10:08 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I guess I'll be learning about the "jokers" on the forum.....but the above post goes to prove that even "they" can be serious and give good advice once in awhile
Patrick, you're developing an enemy. There's nothing wrong with a little humor, but nonetheless, Patrick does have good suggestions, ideas and give good tech advice. Though he's obviously ERA-biased, which is fine as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKINNEDR View Post
You do seem to get a lot for the $$$ with Backdraft(plus 2in longer wheelbase if that is important to you). Of course, you do get more add-ons with Superformance. I don't think you could go wrong with either one.

Dex.
One difference: The SPF is built under license from Carroll Shelby Licensing.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Gary Edwards Racing 460
Not Ranked     

Dex.[/quote]

When I was doing my research, I found the BDRs commonly had suspension/handling problems. This was 2 years ago, so the issues may have been addressed. Look at the basic shape of the 2 cars, they are quite different.