29 30          

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2010, 08:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 1964 289->Webers
Not Ranked     

Why would anyone want an ERA FIA? Nice Choice! & Cool car! I used a lot of that car as inspiration when building mine. Can't wait to see current pictures!
Old 09-30-2010, 04:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

This should be the one:

http://www.erareplicas.com/cars/rushin/index.htm
Old 09-30-2010, 04:51 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

I remember that car. I love the color. Very nice indeed.
Old 09-30-2010, 06:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary 482 all aluminum Tunnelport Self built and owned since 1980 frame#0000017 and owner of frame CCX 33961 looking for an FIA body to go with it
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPit View Post
I live in North Jersey about 25mile west of Manhattan, if anyone knows a garage in that area. Thanks for your help
You must be close to me,what town?
Old 09-30-2010, 06:11 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 532, 466 BB, 560HP
Not Ranked     

I like different (not two roll bars ), so leave it that color. It looks great.
Old 09-30-2010, 06:33 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback51 View Post
I like different (not two roll bars ), so leave it that color. It looks great.
Uh-huh. And I particularly like the padding used in the forward brace bar. Functional, and in good taste, as well.

Old 09-30-2010, 06:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Auto Works body, Ron Godell Racecars chassis, 1989 Mustang GT 5.0 HO (converted to carb), W/C T-5, 3.73's in a Ford 9" Traction-Loc.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by strictlypersonl View Post
Just curious....why the "wind" shield around the gas filler cap? This is the first time I've seen that on any Cobra.

Cheers from Dugly

No names were changed to protect the innocent!
Old 09-30-2010, 09:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 289 #2054
Not Ranked     

I live in New Providence (first town west of Summit).
It is a splash guard around the gas cap, I was told it is there for safety reasons beacause the car was built to race.
I'm still working on the insurance. State Farm said it would be at least a $1000 per year, with serious limitation also the car would have to pass "some" tests. I am going to call a couple more insurance companies today.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:06 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Uh-huh. And I particularly like the padding used in the forward brace bar. Functional, and in good taste, as well.
Oye vey. Obviously Peter and ERA did a much better job than the owner of your ERA.

Congrats on the new ERA. Best of luck with it.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:36 AM
Proud Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 2121
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by *13* View Post
I used a lot of that car as inspiration when building mine. Can't wait to see current pictures!
Like 'Rushin', #13 was a huge inspiration in my planning. Great job!

JPit: Love to see some recent pics!
Old 09-30-2010, 09:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289FIA 2131, 331 stroker by Dan Dalena with 48 IDAs by Jim Inglese, AC Cars AC8 "Rosso Chiaro" (PPG Nexa code FG39) by Connecticut Custom
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by YerDugliness View Post
Just curious....why the "wind" shield around the gas filler cap? This is the first time I've seen that on any Cobra.

Cheers from Dugly
On some of the original competition cars they added the wind shield because gas was being sucked out through the filler cap. Would also keep spilled fuel from getting into the cockpit, but that wasn't the original intent. Not many of the FIA/USRRC "cutback door" 289 cars had them.

Here is one of the original FIA cars at the 1964 Targa Florio with the "splash shield"; this one also has the Cobra badges and NO trunk dimples, unlike the other team cars in the race which were badgeless and had trunk dimples:

Another team car, same race: no badges, no splash shield and with dimples:

Last edited by jeffy; 09-30-2010 at 09:47 AM..
Old 09-30-2010, 10:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #775
Not Ranked     

Congrats on the car and welcome to the family.

If you have any other questions about getting it on the road, don't hesitate to ask as I just went thru the whole process earlier this year.

Ray
Old 09-30-2010, 03:14 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2100 Rio Red Wimbledon White Stripes 302 stroked to 331 Webers Richmond Road Race 5 speed
Not Ranked     

That car was detuned to make it streetable and sold to the secretary or bookeeper? She just bought it when I was giving my second payment to Peter to start my build.
Old 09-30-2010, 05:38 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2117; 331 stroker; TKO600
Not Ranked     

Jpit - there are a ton of insurance companies out there who specialize in collectible cars - and have decent rates based on true valuation of the car and reasonable mileage - 5000 miles per year. I am in one of the most expensive markets in the country - Miami - and I am at $800. I was at $450 for my first cobra, a used Unique FIA insured for $35K. Just look around. 10 minutes on the internet, some of the numbers already posted above, and you are good to go!! Have fun!!
Old 09-30-2010, 06:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 289 #2054
Not Ranked     

The car was detuned when it was sold to the secretary at ERA. The race engine was replaced with a 351W, built by Dan Dalena and the top loader with a tremec 5 speed. The interior was also redone with leather seats and carpeting. The race dash is the same and no more padding on the roll bar.
Now to car insurance. I called a couple more insurance companies today and the premiums range from $500-$700. The limitations seem a little extreme. Only pleasure cruising, car shows and public events (parades). No errands, parking lots, daily commuter, etc. I even asked one of the representatives if I could go get a bagel and cup of coffee or drop the kids off at soccer game and they said no. Is this how it is and does anyone pay attention to the rules?
I’m still having trouble down loading pictures. I think the files are too large it keeps saying download failure
Old 09-30-2010, 07:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289FIA 2131, 331 stroker by Dan Dalena with 48 IDAs by Jim Inglese, AC Cars AC8 "Rosso Chiaro" (PPG Nexa code FG39) by Connecticut Custom
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPit View Post
I’m still having trouble down loading pictures. I think the files are too large it keeps saying download failure
What I do is upload my pictures to the picture-sharing site Photobucket than embed the photos in my posts here using the IMG code.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:51 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 'Street' Build
Not Ranked     

JPit ... welcome to the ERA family from me as well ... hope to have my car in the very near future.

I remember seeing 2054 on Cobra Country and was tempted to take a closer look at it. It's a very cool car with a unique history. For the color, I like it as well, give it a little time it will probably grow on you.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 2008/351W/TOP-LOADER
Not Ranked     

You need to call Parrish insurance or do the search here on CC. There is another I can't remember that specializes in these cars (see below). You will have no luck with State Farm or any of those guys, I promise. There are only a few that I found that will truly give you a good deal, understand these cars, know these cars, and will actually let you drive these cars! You need to do the search because the wealth of knowledge is what you need, the right questions to ask, the right amount to insure, the right coverage. I called Parrish insurance, he asked all the right questions, I sent him pics, he sent me a quote, BOOM done in one day! Make sure you get it insured for "agreed value" not replacement. Welcome to the ERA family, should have bought a red one!!

Get that puppy insured, tagged and go have some fun! Matt

Another is Robbin at Midwest Classic Insurance. 1-888-271-4000, I almost went with him. Very nice guy too! He knows his stuff!
Old 09-30-2010, 09:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 1964 289->Webers
Not Ranked     

Thanks! We all build ours to suit ourselves, as it should be. The Rushin' is a strange breed apon first glance. However, the more you look at it the more it seems to grow on you. I like that about it. I overheard an old "Glossy Car" car guy say that my car looked like it just came off a dirt track. Not everyone is going to get what you are going for. Sometimes it's more fun when they don't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 289FIA View Post
Like 'Rushin', #13 was a huge inspiration in my planning. Great job!

JPit: Love to see some recent pics!
Old 10-01-2010, 04:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 351W
Not Ranked     

Jpit,

Congrats on that car; I have lusted after that one for quite some time.

I had State Farm when I lived in Hoboken last year; they had no milage or storage restrictions with a premium of around $500 per year...??? Surprised to hear your experience is different. My agent was Joe Nachbaur in Jersey City (201.222.8866). He is a good guy and he spoke highly of my ERA2044 - that's the VIN also. He will probably remember if you give him my VIN if you want to figure out if you information is bad.

I currently insure with Chubb; I have had a tremendously good experience with Chubb homeowners in the past and think/hope they will be as good if I ever have a problem in the future.

If you are ever driving past Giant Stadium, be sure to take a hot lap or two in there, pretty deserted when no event is on-going.

Good luck.