LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2010, 08:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA Chas View Post
That's only about 80lbs more than an all aluminum Dart.
Where did the weight come from? I probably had a full tank too but that doesn't add up. Wheels perhaps? They're not magnesium. I thought CF was supposed to be lighter than glass.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:56 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

From what few numbers I've seen in reference to carbon fiber vs glass, I've always been surprised to see the weight difference is not significant. Go figure...
Old 11-11-2010, 09:12 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
And whatever happened to that CSX "manual" that was being written by someone on this board and that I correctly predicted would die on the vine just like it has umpteen times before....
It was PANAVIA (Steve) from Mustang Ranch. Man, you keep banging that drum. Yes, ERA is the best Cobra, because they have a manual. Manuals are soooooo important for our cars, since they're soooooo complicated

(Note: sarcasm excludes me, since I can't fight my way out of a wet paper bag let alone assemble and disassemble a Cobra ).
Old 11-11-2010, 09:17 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
Man, you keep banging that drum. ... Manuals are soooooo important for our cars, since they're soooooo complicated

(Note: sarcasm...LOL.
I bang that drum because it resonates so clearly. If it was that easy, the manual would have been done by now. I won't go back and pull the thread, but it's easy to find, where I say to DCDoug, "it won't be done, it won't ever be done, and you won't even hear about it when the project is quietly abandoned. You'll just be left twisting in the wind if you were indeed waiting for it."
Old 11-11-2010, 09:19 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I wouldn't expect Shelby to offer a manual, I suspect 98% of the car's are built by dealers anyway, or completed by a professional. Whereas, many ERA's are built, to varying degrees, by the original purchaser. The ERA manual goes into great detail about how to BUILD the car, just not necessary for the typical Shelby.

I know a guy who built an early CSX8000's himself (fairly rare I think). As I understand it, from him, he ran into a LOT of problems putting the various details together (no manual you see). Shelby followed that build closely to gain some knowledge of what to do with the future ones (but still no manual, who needs it?).

Last edited by Excaliber; 11-11-2010 at 09:22 AM..
Old 11-11-2010, 09:21 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcdoug View Post
RodKnock has dreams of having any sort of SOHC motor, the more alloy the better. But as of yet, he is still unwilling to stroke the check to make his dream into reality.
Hey, if a great deal came along, I'd buy any Cammer.

But with all due respect to BBQ, $30,000 for an unknown Cammer in a vehicle that I would have to toss, is not really a great deal for me, especially in this economy. That's my humble opinion. I've seen complete original standard bore Cammers with known histories and sellers for less and you didn't have to throw away a vehicle.

At any rate, Doug is right, I would be more interested in the modern Cammer with an alloy block and heads and a T&D rocker assembly, but Keith Craft's $40K Cammer is just a little outside my comfort zone today, but tomorrow is a new day.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:25 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I bang that drum because it resonates so clearly. If it was that easy, the manual would have been done by now. I won't go back and pull the thread, but it's easy to find, where I say to DCDoug, "it won't be done, it won't ever be done, and you won't even hear about it when the project is quietly abandoned. You'll just be left twisting in the wind if you were indeed waiting for it."
1 out of 100 CSX buyers might want a manual, er, or as you would say 99% don't care. How often do you refer to your ERA's manual and tell the truth.

Anyway, as your mom and dad said to you as a child, "Patrick, you're different."
Old 11-11-2010, 09:28 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

I'll have you know that my ERA manual sits next to my potty. It's my favorite reading material and I keep it in my favorite reading room.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:30 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

If you own the car long enough and as it ages you may well find that manual an important item in your set of tools! I refer to mine, or the on-line manual available only to ERA owners, more often than I'd like to!

Most recent example (last week), my fuel gauge suddenly stopped working! I tracked down the wiring details and ran some tests. In the end, I had to pull the dash (bummer) and found a broken power wire. Drat...

I think I broke the wire when I recently installed the new heater, which sits right behind the fuel gauge (I'm mine own worst enemy).
Old 11-11-2010, 09:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Re: manual: I've wanted to do some things and been curious about other stuff for which a manual would have been very useful. In particular, the "parts recipe" for things like clutch and brake master cylinders, brake setup, etc.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:56 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
Re: manual: I've wanted to do some things and been curious about other stuff for which a manual would have been very useful. In particular, the "parts recipe" for things like clutch and brake master cylinders, brake setup, etc.
The voice of truth and reason. The bottom line is that writing a really good manual is a HUGE undertaking. The Kirkhams started one, and let it languish. There have been at least three claims that I can remember regarding a CSX manual being written... and they always fall through once the claimant realizes just what a massive job it is to do right. They then quietly skulk in to the night hoping no one will remember that they were supposedly working on it....
Old 11-11-2010, 09:59 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 532, 466 BB, 560HP
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Hey, if a great deal came along, I'd buy any Cammer.

But with all due respect to BBQ, $30,000 for an unknown Cammer in a vehicle that I would have to toss, is not really a great deal for me, especially in this economy. That's my humble opinion. I've seen complete original standard bore Cammers with known histories and sellers for less and you didn't have to throw away a vehicle.

At any rate, Doug is right, I would be more interested in the modern Cammer with an alloy block and heads and a T&D rocker assembly, but Keith Craft's $40K Cammer is just a little outside my comfort zone today, but tomorrow is a new day.

Don't junk the existing truck. Put another engine in it and recoup some of your cost.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:16 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

So, Patrick, Ernie and Tony have voted "manual."

Great. That makes three. Anyway, Ernie could take apart and reassemble the Space Shuttle better than NASA, so he really doesn't need a manual to pull the dash and do wiring work.

Patrick, uh, make sure you give me gloves before handing me your ERA manual.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:18 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback51 View Post
Don't junk the existing truck. Put another engine in it and recoup some of your cost.
It's not like it's a Toyota Tacoma or something. Have you seen a mudd bogger and been to a mudd bogger event?
Old 11-11-2010, 10:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2007 BDR FR Boss 302
Not Ranked     

Heck, those massive new tires and wheels have to be worth a couple of grand. The Dana front and rear axle assemblies are rare and worth a fair amount of money also. Then you have all the other parts. Elect water pump and fuel pump, headers, etc. The price isn't just for a OEM 427 cammer. If I remember correctly, the motor also has some fancy alum rods in it. This isn't a junk thrown together cammer from what I've been told. Bob Q.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
So, Patrick, Ernie and Tony have voted "manual."

Great. That makes three. Anyway, Ernie could take apart and reassemble the Space Shuttle better than NASA, so he really doesn't need a manual to pull the dash and do wiring work.

Patrick, uh, make sure you give me gloves before handing me your ERA manual.
Cool. But when I go to look for manual who's going to think about looking in a topic about a Roush rocker failure?

I also needed it when the Lucas switch for my fuel pump went on the fritz. I got down on my knees next to the car, prayed to the gods to keep the snakes that live behind the dash wouldn't bit me and got the switch out. Then one of those monsters bit me. One of the wires to the light switch got bumped off. Then while trying to get it into a working position so I could see (even with mirrors) I bumped another one. Trial and error was the only way I got the lights working again. Yep, manual.

Maybe they all figure it's part of the ownership rights. If you can't reverse engineer the car then you shouldn't own one.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:15 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQCYCLEWERKES View Post
Heck, those massive new tires and wheels have to be worth a couple of grand. The Dana front and rear axle assemblies are rare and worth a fair amount of money also. Then you have all the other parts. Elect water pump and fuel pump, headers, etc. The price isn't just for a OEM 427 cammer. If I remember correctly, the motor also has some fancy alum rods in it. This isn't a junk thrown together cammer from what I've been told. Bob Q.
Bob, I said that somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but I still probably could not drive your mudd bogger up to my golf and country club and have the valets park it.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2007 BDR FR Boss 302
Not Ranked     
Smile

Quote:
Bob, I said that somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but I still probably could not drive your mudd bogger up to my golf and country club and have the valets park it.
RodKnock: No offense taken. I know what my friend had is quite unbelieveable at the very least. Heck, I still can't believe all the stuff. He was a Ford deaalership employee and raced all venues of fords and all the stuff is orig OEM equipment. I had to even buy a Ford Performance guide book to trace back part #'s and casting #'s and production #'s to verify aall that he had. Hell, He even has 8 stack fuel injector set ups for a 427 SOHC and 427 Medium Riser. I have no idea where he even got some of this stuff as it isn't in the guide books. So don't worry, as no offense taken. Bob Q.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Quote:
He's just trying to get me to take the bait. But when I run into an issue now, I just pepper you guys with inane questions until I get a manual with pictures from Patrickt about how he would solve my problem (and increasing his post count by at least 50 while doing so) and ERAChas starts telling me to stop over-thinking the issue.

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)
Old 11-11-2010, 02:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQCYCLEWERKES View Post
RodKnock: No offense taken. I know what my friend had is quite unbelieveable at the very least. Heck, I still can't believe all the stuff. He was a Ford deaalership employee and raced all venues of fords and all the stuff is orig OEM equipment. I had to even buy a Ford Performance guide book to trace back part #'s and casting #'s and production #'s to verify aall that he had. Hell, He even has 8 stack fuel injector set ups for a 427 SOHC and 427 Medium Riser. I have no idea where he even got some of this stuff as it isn't in the guide books. So don't worry, as no offense taken. Bob Q.
Let us know when you get the real inventory together. It'd be fun to see it. Maybe Patrickt will loan us all the dough for Xmas.

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)