29 30          

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2011, 03:09 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #185, Shelby Alloy 482; sold
Not Ranked     

That guy driving Seca was only in two gears....3rd and 4th, so when you say he wasn't pulling, he could of used 2nd. The fact that he can do 1:45's at Seca with two gears is astonishing for a 3600 lb. car.

Most magazines peg 0-60 times around low 4's, so much for slow around town.

Last edited by 4pipes; 03-02-2011 at 03:10 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 03-02-2011, 03:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It weighs in at 3632 lbs, quite the porker.

The weight and terrible aero will keep it from running with the big dogs.

Although... with a 3.66 first gear coupled with a 3.73 final drive she should launch hard.

http://media.ford.com/images/10031/2...Boss_Specs.pdf

Last edited by undy; 03-02-2011 at 03:18 PM..
Old 03-02-2011, 03:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4pipes View Post
That guy driving Seca was only in two gears....3rd and 4th, so when you say he wasn't pulling, he could of used 2nd. The fact that he can do 1:45's at Seca with two gears is astonishing for a 3600 lb. car.

Most magazines peg 0-60 times around low 4's, so much for slow around town.
Good point about using 3rd and 4th gears.

On the 0-60 though, you don't take off like you were taking off from a stop sign. You take off with as much throttle as you can without breaking traction and then start slamming gears. Not quite the same....

You don't drive downtown in a parade doing drop clutch takeoffs and speed shifting.... (or at least most of us don't)

As I said earlier, that's a phenomenal amount of horsepower from 5 liters. However, the torque is very disappointing and I would imagine that the average horsepower is very low as well. Combining that with a heavy car and a semi-low rearend gear, I think there's a lot more to be desired. That's an engine that would constantly have to be kept at screaming rpms to be competitive.

As an engine builder, this is at the exact extreme of what I would build for a street engine. I tell my customers to try to make the most horsepower in the rpm range that you will be driving. Street cars don't spend any time at 7750 rpm.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #684, 482FE, Mike Mccluskey build
Send a message via Skype™ to fordracing65
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by blykins View Post
Good point about using 3rd and 4th gears.

On the 0-60 though, you don't take off like you were taking off from a stop sign. You take off with as much throttle as you can without breaking traction and then start slamming gears. Not quite the same....

You don't drive downtown in a parade doing drop clutch takeoffs and speed shifting.... (or at least most of us don't)

As I said earlier, that's a phenomenal amount of horsepower from 5 liters. However, the torque is very disappointing and I would imagine that the average horsepower is very low as well. Combining that with a heavy car and a semi-low rearend gear, I think there's a lot more to be desired. That's an engine that would constantly have to be kept at screaming rpms to be competitive.

As an engine builder, this is at the exact extreme of what I would build for a street engine. I tell my customers to try to make the most horsepower in the rpm range that you will be driving. Street cars don't spend any time at 7750 rpm.
I have a 5.0 litre cammer same displacement as coyote and same hp and tq numbers, i drive all day at 7000 rpm on the street, torque is overated unless your towing, especially in a 2200 pd car. Just my 2 cents but what do i know. (3.91 rear gear, don't fear the gear.)
Old 03-02-2011, 04:07 PM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     

I'm sorry Brent, I agree with you on allot of subjects but the statements you're making sound like you don't have any experience with some of the engines that you've mentioned. Specifically I'm referring to the Boss 302 of old and by experience I don't mean built a couple/driven a couple. As one who has owned/driven daily and raced several I can tell you that the stories that float around about Bosses being all doggy in day to day driving are GREATLY overstated. Does it run like a BB? Of course not, but then the people who bought them didn't want a car that acted like a BB. They wanted a car that was responsive and nimble (comparatively speaking of course) with the HP on tap to get the job done when called upon to do so. In that realm it was a huge success and I believe that this new Boss will be 3 times the car my old one is. Doesn’t mean that I want to get rid of my vintage Boss, just that I do respect the engineering that went into this one and I think they hit the nail right on the head.

Steve
Old 03-02-2011, 04:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

A vintage BOSS and a new 2012 BOSS head to head, i would love to see it, and have them.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Auto Works body, Ron Godell Racecars chassis, 1989 Mustang GT 5.0 HO (converted to carb), W/C T-5, 3.73's in a Ford 9" Traction-Loc.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordracing65 View Post
A vintage BOSS and a new 2012 BOSS head to head, i would love to see it, and have them.
The new Boss would eat the Boss 302/Boss351 for lunch.

.....and I am a real fan of the old Boss 302...my all-time favorite engine is the 351C and the Boss 302 was a smaller variation of that, the closest we can get today is the Clevor combination.

The 70's Boss 302s were notorious for being hard to get going from a standstill. TOO much port volume, no port velocity to the intake charge. They were a pig until they got into their upper RPM range....then they took off like a scalded-ass ape.

The new Boss is clearly better......damnit! I would have LOVED for the old Boss to win the comparison, but everything I see and read says the new Boss would humiliate the old Boss and do it with power steering, power brakes, A/C, and a higher wet weight.

So disappointed !!!! I think I want one !

Cheers from Dugly

No names were changed to protect the innocent!
Old 03-02-2011, 05:35 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordracing65 View Post
I have a 5.0 litre cammer same displacement as coyote and same hp and tq numbers, i drive all day at 7000 rpm on the street, torque is overated unless your towing, especially in a 2200 pd car. Just my 2 cents but what do i know. (3.91 rear gear, don't fear the gear.)
Have you actually had your car weighed? I am curious as 2200# sounds a little light. And has the diff ratio in your rear end been changed becuase the factory does not install 3.91 gears?

Yep, these motors love to rev!

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 03-02-2011, 05:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark IV View Post
Have you actually had your car weighed? I am curious as 2200# sounds a little light. And has the diff ratio in your rear end been changed becuase the factory does not install 3.91 gears?

Yep, these motors love to rev!
Yes i changed the gears, you have to with no tq, and it weighs 2450. (I usully run a 4.10 rear gear but the btr rear end is small),(4.10 not o.e.m. won't fit)

Last edited by fordracing65; 03-02-2011 at 06:00 PM..
Old 03-02-2011, 05:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovehamr View Post
I'm sorry Brent, I agree with you on allot of subjects but the statements you're making sound like you don't have any experience with some of the engines that you've mentioned. Specifically I'm referring to the Boss 302 of old and by experience I don't mean built a couple/driven a couple. As one who has owned/driven daily and raced several I can tell you that the stories that float around about Bosses being all doggy in day to day driving are GREATLY overstated. Does it run like a BB? Of course not, but then the people who bought them didn't want a car that acted like a BB. They wanted a car that was responsive and nimble (comparatively speaking of course) with the HP on tap to get the job done when called upon to do so. In that realm it was a huge success and I believe that this new Boss will be 3 times the car my old one is. Doesn’t mean that I want to get rid of my vintage Boss, just that I do respect the engineering that went into this one and I think they hit the nail right on the head.

Steve
Steve, I do have experience with them....along with a myriad of 281ci SOHC and DOHC engines.

I suppose "dogginess" is relative from person to person, but that particular trait of the Boss 302 comes from the huge port volume of the 4V 351C head.

These cars absolutely did have horsepower, I didn't say that they didn't. But they were more suitable for higher rpm driving.

Listen guys, I'm not saying that this particular engine is a piece of junk, I'm not saying that at all. What I am saying is even though I could drive a 358ci 9800 rpm Cup engine downtown (and I realize that's not a perfect apples/apples comparison), it's not optimal for street driving. Also, even though you may hit 7000 rpm occasionally, I can't see someone driving down through the middle of a small town at 35mph in 1st gear bouncing off the rev limiter.

I've been down this same road as all of you and then I've been down different roads as well. The engines with the broader torque curves and higher average horsepower not only make it easier for lower speed, lower rpm driving, but they "feel" like they have more power as well. If you don't believe that statement, go for a ride in a car with a 500hp 347 and then go for a ride in a car with a 500hp 408.

And absolutely FordRacing65, don't fear the gear. If I were given one of these cars, it would have at least a 4.30 gear in it.

Last edited by blykins; 03-02-2011 at 06:48 PM..
Old 03-02-2011, 06:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

4.30 gear wont fit in the btr pumkin 3.91 is as deep as you can go, I tried. The btr rear is junk, its small, same as american gto, they can run a 4.10 but its not an oem gear, so i dont trust it.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

I have a 2008 Mustang GT and a 2003 Lightning and I'm amazed at how strong these little modular motors can run. With that small bore and long stroke (especially for the 5.4 liter) it just doesn't seem that they should make power and rev so well. It's kind of like Ford figured out how to re-invent conventional wisdom concerning bore and stroke ratios.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mod motors rule, supercharged they are absolute animals, and if you add spray hold on your off to the moon.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:56 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 'Street' Build
Not Ranked     

Quote:
There are two keys for the car. The black key uses an ECU programed for the street, and the red TracKey switches to a program for the track. The firmware changes valve overlap and many other parameters. Mine arrives 3/19.

Dave ... so you pulled the trigger ... nice

After you have had a chance for some seat time, please put me on your list ... I wanna ride

- Tim
Old 03-02-2011, 06:58 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

When I get it this month, I'll take you up to Alice's.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:59 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 'Street' Build
Not Ranked     

Deal ... I'll buy
Old 03-02-2011, 07:33 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1980 Arntz 427W, Webers, TKO600, Jag IRS
Not Ranked     

Can I get on the list?
Old 03-02-2011, 08:35 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Howland View Post
Can I get on the list?
I'll want to show it off to whoever is interested!
Old 03-02-2011, 09:35 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I'll want to show it off to whoever is interested!
What's the color combo? Can't wait to check it out.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 03-02-2011, 10:05 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got the Bug View Post
What's the color combo? Can't wait to check it out.
My wife chose white with black. I got the Torsen 3:73 rear end and Recaro seats.

Last edited by 4pipes; 03-02-2011 at 10:19 PM..