LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2011, 08:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #684, 482FE, Mike Mccluskey build
Send a message via Skype™ to fordracing65
Not Ranked     
Default 2012 ford boss 302r rwhp numbers

Just saw ford released the rwhp numbers for the 2012 boss mustang 5.0..
416 wrhp at 7550 rpm, 355 tq at 5250 rpm, with a 15% drivetrain loss thats 478 hp. Ford advertises the boss at 440hp.. Way to go ford that's one bad ass motor.

Last edited by fordracing65; 03-01-2011 at 08:38 PM..
Old 03-02-2011, 03:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordracing65 View Post
416 wrhp at 7550 rpm, 355 tq at 5250 rpm, with a 15% drivetrain loss thats 478 hp. Ford advertises the boss at 440hp.. Way to go ford that's one bad ass motor.
They had a couple of the 12 bosses at the LA auto show late last year. One was making half-a$$ed pulls on an installed chassis dyno. They had a "torn down" componant display for all the Boss 5.0 engine parts. The hype was on the revised head and cams design. The dual PCM programs are pretty neat too.
Old 03-02-2011, 04:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordracing65 View Post
That would make for a really nice race engine.....street engine, not so much.....
Old 03-02-2011, 08:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Owned CSX 3121 1969-1975. Went to the dark side and bought a 'Vette. May yet repent and be saved.
Not Ranked     

Unusual for a manufacturer to hype chassis dyno results. As most of you realize, dynos differ. and games can be played with correction factors for DA.

In any case, still pretty damn strong for a 302. I'd bet that the original couldn't wheeze out 300 at the wheels.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1715, Roush Built 434 ci Stroker, Dart Block, Ported AFR 205 Heads... 561 hp / 547 tq, Former Roush Show Car, Completed and Prepped By Olthoff Racing.
Not Ranked     

I watched a special on TV about the new Boss. The whole process of how the car was developed was very impressive. Their target was the M3, and they said they would have to find another car to target because it beat the M3 so bad on the track. The whole car including the motor is very impressive.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:41 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #185, Shelby Alloy 482; sold
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by blykins View Post
That would make for a really nice race engine.....street engine, not so much.....
There are two keys for the car. The black key uses an ECU programed for the street, and the red TracKey switches to a program for the track. The firmware changes valve overlap and many other parameters. Mine arrives 3/19.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hope you have a low rearend gear....
Old 03-02-2011, 12:47 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Hope you have a low rearend gear....
3:73 torsen.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Any engine that has a horsepower peak near 8000 and a torque peak up in the 5's, will not have much "street power", even with the VVT. Hopefully the light weight of a Cobra and the 3.73's will help out a little there.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:09 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Any engine that has a horsepower peak near 8000 and a torque peak up in the 5's, will not have much "street power", even with the VVT. Hopefully the light weight of a Cobra and the 3.73's will help out a little there.
Most of the reviewers would disagree with you. Here's one with some laps around Seca.

http://rumors.automobilemag.com/feat...eca-20727.html
Old 03-02-2011, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP01715 View Post
I watched a special on TV about the new Boss. The whole process of how the car was developed was very impressive. Their target was the M3, and they said they would have to find another car to target because it beat the M3 so bad on the track. The whole car including the motor is very impressive.
Took this pic using the iPhone two weeks ago in Salinas at the hotel I was staying at...also known to be a favorite of magazines, etc. because it's away from Monterey-Seaside, and it's at the end of a street so traffic is light.

The guys were swapping tires a couple of times on all three, which led me to believe they were out at the track and having some fun on the good roads in the area. Lots of photo equipment in the backseat of the M3. too busy to get to talk to them when they were out by the cars.

Old 03-02-2011, 01:22 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

At my age, I decided not to track the Kirkham anymore....too hard on me and the car. This car, while not supplying all of the visceral excitement of a Cobra, will be more comfortable to drive to the track, and safer on the track.

Can't wait.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It looks great from 5-7000....however, you can tell that when he pulls it down to around 3000 in the corners, that it takes it a good bit to get moving again. That's all I'm saying.....great engine, very high technology, but more geared towards a track engine.

Stop light to stop light would tell a different story...especially if paired with a heavier car or higher rearend ratio.

This is very much the expected result from trying to get a lot of horsepower (but no torque) from a small displacement engine....you need lots of revs. My mind takes me back to 302 Camaros, Boss 302 Mustangs, etc. Gotta keep em revved up high...
Old 03-02-2011, 01:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1715, Roush Built 434 ci Stroker, Dart Block, Ported AFR 205 Heads... 561 hp / 547 tq, Former Roush Show Car, Completed and Prepped By Olthoff Racing.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamo View Post
Took this pic using the iPhone two weeks ago in Salinas at the hotel I was staying at...also known to be a favorite of magazines, etc. because it's away from Monterey-Seaside, and it's at the end of a street so traffic is light.

The guys were swapping tires a couple of times on all three, which led me to believe they were out at the track and having some fun on the good roads in the area. Lots of photo equipment in the backseat of the M3. too busy to get to talk to them when they were out by the cars.

Nice photo...
Old 03-02-2011, 02:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Blykins,

With all due respect, we have them in out Ford Falcons here in oz, and 'ill give you a hot tip this engine is the best of both worlds...

You hit the race track and wring the suckers neck out & then you can have a fuel saving ride home when you're not bouncing the thing in the VVT zone.

With the super charger I can tell you it would pull a building off its stumps, and not many cars can beat it when its pulling a 2900 pound (rough estimate) car. Off line if in a Cobra, I'm guessing not many would touch it trafic light to traffic light.

Yet, around town you'd have a compliant docile car that even granny could drive.

They offer a lot of bag for your buck, and strongly worth considering in a cobra
Attached Images

Old 03-02-2011, 02:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Is the Boss 5.0 that we've been talking about supercharged?
Old 03-02-2011, 02:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RUCC, SB 331 Stroker
Not Ranked     

No..it's NA.
Old 03-02-2011, 02:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

That makes up a lot of the difference....superchargers make a gob of torque down low...essentially the same as doubling the displacement.
Old 03-02-2011, 02:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RUCC, SB 331 Stroker
Not Ranked     

Shelby and others are putting smaller twin screws on the Coyote motor and making around 600 at the crank. How long the motor will live at that level is anyones guess.

I have a 2010 Mustang 4.6 with a small M90 roots and it is making 410/396 at the wheels with a slightly smaller pulley than stock and a very good tune.
Old 03-02-2011, 02:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'm a big fan of the modular engines. I've owned 4.6L Mustangs myself and have had friends with '03-'04 Cobras. Lots of horsepower potential.....great technology....seem to be very stout engines with 6 bolt mains, etc.