Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2011, 01:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
Can I interest you in a nice shade of Pastel Blue?
Careful-you'll be getting Victoria Secret crinolines and push-ups from you-know-who with that kind of innuendo...
-NOT THAT THERE'S ANYTHING WRONG WITH PASTEL COLORS...
Old 04-07-2011, 01:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mreid View Post
I would think the old cost/reliability formula comes into play here, but I also look forward to Bruce's answer.

Mark
Bruce has obviously NEVER let cost stand in his way. Example: magnesium water pump!
Old 04-07-2011, 02:10 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerworks View Post
No magnesium.
But, but, but, the originals had magnesium wheels. You seem like a guy who would be after "originality."

Maybe the mag wheel thread has turned you off on getting a set after 33 pages of absolutely NOTHING.

Chas, the Kirkhams had a show car a long time back with yellow center stripes.
Old 04-07-2011, 03:49 PM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 427 S/C, Twin Paxton 511 FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
Maybe the mag wheel thread has turned you off on getting a set after 33 pages of absolutely NOTHING.
I heard that.
Old 04-07-2011, 03:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 289 FIA #690, FRPP 427 Boss engine
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA Chas View Post
Bruce has obviously NEVER let cost stand in his way. Example: magnesium water pump!
I don't know, Chas, I think he felt safe that as it is a water pump, at least that part of the car couldn't burst into flames!
Kirkham #690 289 FIA
Old 04-07-2011, 04:32 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mreid View Post
I don't know, Chas, I think he felt safe that as it is a water pump, at least that part of the car couldn't burst into flames!
I don't think water helps put out a magnesium fire.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Small Block

Quote:
More thanks for your car's resume and your great build progression. Very refreshing to see serious tech on here.
I think you and Morris have achieved the most success for road racing Cobras with the difference being yours is in more of a conventional configuration. You both agree on many points like starting with a KMP, stiffness, power required and lightness.
Just to pick your brain, an all aluminum, 9.5 deck small block (of 358 to 427 ") would weigh in around 470 pounds. Why such a modest power figure (650) when with Cup technology (na), you could achieve 730-800HP and a conservative 9000RPM top?
It's great reading your experiences and views.
I would use the short deck block and final weight would be around 380 pounds according to my engine guys. Engine acceleration rates would be unreal, think old trans-am cars with better heads Ti rods etc. HP could get close to 700 which would be way more than adequate at 1900 LBs. My car has so much torque now that we tried to kill some of it to help traction by going really big on the cam 292 @.050 N and 296@ .050 X
The small block would do that and still have a big top end and lots of flexibility with that rpm range. I stuck with the FE because it is an original car if it weren't, I would have gone the small block route. At one time I was looking at a DFX Cosworth Turbo engine but again the originality thing got to me so I did not do it, had a hell of a deal on one and it was under 400 lbs complete.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I understand now. My experience was with alloy 9.5's at 427 and 460" with power between 625 and 710HP (solid rollers, Kuntz heads, Callies strokers-those were 470-480 pounds.
You're talking smaller, lighter block and tiny stroke cranks.
Cosworth Turbo eh? YIKES!
Please post your next mods on 3170 or your next project. I'd love to follow along.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Next Project

Quote:
I understand now. My experience was with alloy 9.5's at 427 and 460" with power between 625 and 710HP (solid rollers, Kuntz heads, Callies strokers-those were 470-480 pounds.
You're talking smaller, lighter block and tiny stroke cranks.
Cosworth Turbo eh? YIKES!
Please post your next mods on 3170 or your next project. I'd love to follow along.
Thanks for asking,
The Cobra is sitting under a car cover waiting for it's lazy owner to install a new flywheel and some larger front tires for this summers autox season.
I am currently working on my Ford GT trying to get into the 2011 Optima Challenge, I have upgraded because that blown LS chevy killed me on the straights last year. I have added a 6' wide carbon fiber rear wing mounted above roof line, a 7" deep carbon fiber front splitter, Penske shocks, 19x12 rear wheels and 19x9.5 front wheels, heavy springs, lowered it 2" from stock and added skirts to keep air from entering at the sides of the car. I also added a 4.0 L Whipple and long tube headers, and two MSD Boostapumps because we were running out of fuel on the chassis dyno. We are currently working on a new mass air flow and improved air cleaner to get rear wheel HP over 900. First Dyno runs were 862 RWHP and 790 lb/ft. The car melted the cats and plugged the exhaust the first time out at an Optima qualifier. I am working on a fix for that and will be running it at Willow Springs in May, hopefully all will go well this time. It is pretty quick now but weighs 3470 lbs so it is not nearly as agile as the Cobra.
It is lots more stable than the Cobra above 100 mph though and pulls like a train up there. Here is a link to a Youtube video where the cats are beginning to plug the exhaust. The speeds in gear are 1st 62, 2nd 102, 3rd 140 check out how quickly it pulls 1st, 2nd and part of 3rd it isn't the Cobra but it ain't bad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vZcU6uSW1o[/url]
Old 04-07-2011, 06:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dude,
That thing corners flatter than my grammar school sweetheart. It pulls merely incredibly. You are working in a league apart from us.
Do you run JPL in Pasadena?