Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2011, 03:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 289 FIA, 363 Stroker
Not Ranked     
Default Solenoid for FE and Placement

I was wondering which Solenoid everybody likes for an FE motor with a high powered mini starter, if that matters. Id like to be able to pick one up at one of the major auto parts stores. I ordered a random solenoid from summit, but when it showed up it was neon blue, so i returned it. Also, where were they placed on the original cars? Passenger side of the firewall? I am running out room with the puke can and the voltage regulator mounted in the same area.
Old 04-14-2011, 04:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates (2001)
Not Ranked     

i went to a major auto parts store and ordered a heavy duty solenoid for a 65 ford pickup and got a black solenoid that i mounted dead center on the front crossmember...dont know where they were on the originals...
Old 04-14-2011, 08:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 289 FIA #690, FRPP 427 Boss engine
Not Ranked     

If you have a mini-starter, it already has a solenoid mounted on the starter motor. Given your room issue, why not just use that one and avoid the firewall solenoid? It also allows you to hide some wiring.
Kirkham #690 289 FIA
Old 04-14-2011, 10:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mreid View Post
If you have a mini-starter, it already has a solenoid mounted on the starter motor. Given your room issue, why not just use that one and avoid the firewall solenoid? It also allows you to hide some wiring.
What Mark said - if your mini starter has a solenoid mounted on the starter, a remote solenoid is redundant. Why have two solenoids when you just need one.

Last edited by cobradvm; 04-15-2011 at 06:27 AM..
Old 04-15-2011, 02:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Ampage spike load when turning on curcuit

RestroCreations For ERA cars the Starter soleniod goes above the right valve cover on the fire wall. The voltage regulator is on the top of the l/s pedal box. Puke tank should go on the side where the little outlet is from the fill area. I have mine on the l/s of the car inside the fender above the heat shields for the headers.
Yes mini starters come with soleniod internally there. It's not a good idea to NOT have either a heavy duty relay or a second soleniod for the stater curcuit. The same reason we have relays for coolant fans, head lights, blower fans, and other curcuits. There is a heavy ampage to run these curcuit. There is alot higher ampage to start one of these curcuits. A coolant fan may use 12-15 amps in high speed with continious running. Turn this fan motor on will spike the ampage to 35-50 amps. This is what burns out the ign switch if you run direct power from switch to soleniod. Soleniod can handle the ampage. Look at the battery "CABLES" and size. Now look at the starter wire. Most cars sold today run mini starter, and they also have relays to start them with a 30-40 amp load rating. Rick L. Ps is it worth carrying an extra 1/2 pound to protect the wiring harness??? Nothing like a good harness fire to make a person cry

Last edited by RICK LAKE; 04-15-2011 at 03:00 AM..
Old 04-15-2011, 03:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX6363
Not Ranked     

Chris,
Just in case you decide to mount a solenoid, here is a photo taken showing how it was mounted in a CSX.
Attached Images

Old 04-15-2011, 06:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast Cobra/427
Not Ranked     

Hey while in the subject of double solenoid. I just installed a new hi torque mini starter on my WCC with the FE and it has in fact already a solenoid . My friend who installed it for me routed a jumper wire from the satrte to the firewal solenoid and starts fine. However, today after an hour run not to exceeed 200 degrees temp the cooling fans kcked on and after I turned the car off I was nnot able to restart the car. Any clues or thoughts as to what causes this? By the way I also have an isolator coat on the mini starter.
tks
Lou
Old 04-15-2011, 08:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 289 FIA, 363 Stroker
Not Ranked     

Thanks everybody. I actually just really wasnt thinking and did not realize that the starter had a solenoid. I will just use it. It will cut down on the mess on the firewall and make things neater. The only good the solenoid would do me is to act as a junction block and i already have one that came with the Ron Francis Wiring kit.