LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2011, 09:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA Street #2122 , 302ci
Not Ranked     
Default 4 Post Storage Lift Suggestions

Gentlemen,

I'm in the market for a four post lift as well as an installer in Central New Jersey? Nothing fancy, just inexpensive storage for my 57' Vette on top and my every day car on the botton, thus allowing the Cobra to be along side in my two car garage.

I've been looking at the Super Lift, Pro Park 7 and American Custom lift and right now I'm leaning toward the Super Lift.

I require 84" max height up rights with a narrow width of a max of 106".

I know these are relatively easy to install, having done so in the past, but my problem is getting the lift off the delivering trailer.

Thanks for any suggestions.[/b]

We Few, We Happy Few, We Band of Brothers..............
Old 05-04-2011, 10:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimeg View Post
Gentlemen,

I'm in the market for a four post lift as well as an installer in Central New Jersey? Nothing fancy, just inexpensive storage for my 57' Vette on top and my every day car on the botton, thus allowing the Cobra to be along side in my two car garage.

I've been looking at the Super Lift, Pro Park 7 and American Custom lift and right now I'm leaning toward the Super Lift.

I require 84" max height up rights with a narrow width of a max of 106".

I know these are relatively easy to install, having done so in the past, but my problem is getting the lift off the delivering trailer.

Thanks for any suggestions.[/b]
I had an engine hoist standing by and intended to break the crate down on the trailer and off-load it piece by piece. However, a couple neighbors intervened and we ended up off loading it all by hand - still piece by piece. Mine is an AutoLifters which is like the Backyard Buddy lift. It may be a little lighter than a Pro Park or some of the others (but is very solid and stable). If I remember right the heaviest piece was the ramp with the ram under it and it weighed about 350 lbs. Now that I'm 60 and have the usual back issues I'm not sure I would (or could) do it this way again but it worked OK then. They should be able to tell you what the heaviest memeber is when you settle on a lift manufacturer and you can judge from there. Other than the ramps, the rest of it (columns, cross girders) were not especially heavy.

If necessary I think the engine hoist would still work OK - just would be a little slower.

You will like having one.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA Street #2122 , 302ci
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
I had an engine hoist standing by and intended to break the crate down on the trailer and off-load it piece by piece. However, a couple neighbors intervened and we ended up off loading it all by hand - still piece by piece. Mine is an AutoLifters which is like the Backyard Buddy lift. It may be a little lighter than a Pro Park or some of the others (but is very solid and stable). If I remember right the heaviest piece was the ramp with the ram under it and it weighed about 350 lbs. Now that I'm 60 and have the usual back issues I'm not sure I would (or could) do it this way again but it worked OK then. They should be able to tell you what the heaviest memeber is when you settle on a lift manufacturer and you can judge from there. Other than the ramps, the rest of it (columns, cross girders) were not especially heavy.

If necessary I think the engine hoist would still work OK - just would be a little slower.

You will like having one.
Dan,

Thanks for your comments. I'm 64 and most of my friends are about the same age or older. At this juncture in my life I think I'd rather have it installed, especially when I hear the cost would be about $750 delivered and installed. As an added note, I understand that Autolifters are no longer in business.

So.....anyone out there have any other brand suggestions and installers in Central New Jersey before I go with Superlift?

We Few, We Happy Few, We Band of Brothers..............
Old 05-04-2011, 12:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF-2659/Roush 427SR
Not Ranked     

Keep us posted on what you do...I need a lift as well in northern NJ
Old 05-04-2011, 02:10 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via Yahoo to flyboy1997
Not Ranked     

AC American Custom Lifts with some models being made in The U S of A, just bought The Park King & delivered & installed & also taking my Kwik Lift to it's new owner. Perfect product,people, & service after the sale.

blaine@aclifts.com ( Blaine Davies)

tell him Wendell from Magnolia sent you
he has two men that travel all over delivering & installs
Old 05-04-2011, 02:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via AIM to agcobra
Not Ranked     

Do some searches on Club Cobra. Before you buy I would talk to Brad at American Custom Lifts. I bought one, had them deliver and install and couldn't be happier. Well made, sturdy, and no worries when working under the cobra or model a street rod. I bought the SUV model forthe extra height. If your garage is tall enough I recommend it.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

group buy group buy...i need the SUV version
Old 05-04-2011, 06:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Cobra #659 SOLD
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgs365 View Post
group buy group buy...i need the SUV version
PLUS 1 on the group buy
Old 05-04-2011, 06:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimeg View Post
Dan,

Thanks for your comments. I'm 64 and most of my friends are about the same age or older. At this juncture in my life I think I'd rather have it installed, especially when I hear the cost would be about $750 delivered and installed. As an added note, I understand that Autolifters are no longer in business.

So.....anyone out there have any other brand suggestions and installers in Central New Jersey before I go with Superlift?
Sounds like you may need to use a supplier that offers direct delivery and installation as an option. Yes, Autolifters is deceased and then came back under another name for awhile - but last I heard I don't think they made it through the recession either. Too bad - all American made in Wichita and very solid in design and construction. All certified welders and construction. Their 6000 lb lifts would not have been as tall as your looking for anyway. I'm not sure if Backyard Buddy's lift - that is a near duplicate of the AutoLifters - is any taller or not.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR3985:
Not Ranked     

I put a Danmar lift in my garage. It's a good value brand. This is my second one, and I couldn'r be happier.

I bought from GES and they found me a local installer that took delivery (so I didn't need a loading dock, and an army to unload).

Danmar also makes a taller/wider version for SUV needs.

HTH
Old 05-04-2011, 07:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2004 Kirkham 427 S/C, Shelby 496C.I.
Not Ranked     

you might also check on garagejournal.com

quite a few notes and reviews about lifts just as you describe. one fellow, oldcarguy, has the ultimate garage mahal in 5 garages if I recall. he even received one for a review.
Old 05-05-2011, 04:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 S/C, 427ci
Not Ranked     

I bought a two post lift from American Automotive Equipment... here's the link Four Post Car Lifts / 4 Post Cars Lifts from AAE They offer everything and I was also considering a 4 post lift. They sell an option for the 4 post lift that will allow you to move it around. IT's very easy to put together. You could hire a local contractor with a forklift, front loader or backhoe to get it off the trailer and into your garage. Get on their mailing list as they has constant sales.... like $400 to $600 off and $195 to free shipping. I'm very happy. I got their name and recommendation from another person who bought their 4 post lift. PM me with your email address and I'll be happy to forward the email sales flyers when I get them to you.

Good luck, Mark

PS: look at their other options like sliding oil drip catchers, etc.

You can check my build site at Project Mustang Boss 429 | FordMuscle.com