Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2011, 11:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 289 FIA, 363 Stroker
Not Ranked     
Default Issues with Transport Company

Im curious if anybody else has had issues with UNReliable Carriers recently. I have used them several times in the past and they have been great to deal with. They have provided timely pickup, they have called 24 to 48 hours in advance to pickup the car, etc.

Well, 6 weeks ago i ordered a car to be picked up from New York and delivered to Alabama. The time frame for pick up and delivery of the car was 5 weeks max, but the agent told me it would be more like 3 weeks. Three weeks went by and i didn't hear a thing. I called and they said it would be picked up in two days. Another week past and i called again. They said it was way past due for pick up and they were not sure what had happened. Another week past and i called again. Pickup was due for Wednesday and then it was supposed to be delivered to my location either today or tomorrow. The promised they would give the seller of the vehicle at least 24 hours notice before pickup. That didnt happen. They randomly showed up at the seller's home last Thursday, without any warning, to pick up the car. I havent heard a thing since then, so i just called to find out where the car is. The agent informed me that it is sitting in a warehouse in Michigan for some reason and they arent sure why. He told me to call back Thursday and he would know more. ???? I stopped him at that point and explained my position and that i really needed to know more now about when the car would delivered. Im supposed to get a call back today. Something tells me that will not happen.
I'm not trying to bash the company or turn this into a bash session. Like i said above, i have had great experiences with them in the past. However, i am curious what in the world is going on right now with my situation and if the company is experiencing issues. I understand a little confusion, especially when you are trying to logistically sort out the most cost feasible way to deliver cars to the same region of the U.S. Then again, I paid 1500 for this car to be delivered in a timely manner and the ill communication and mass confusion is starting to make me uncomfortable. This is now 1 week passed the max time for delivery and it doesnt look like it will arrive this week either. So, i guess i am just curious if anybody else has experienced something similar with UNreliable Carriers.

Last edited by RestoCreations; 06-14-2011 at 09:08 PM..
Old 06-14-2011, 01:46 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Yes we have experienced this with Reliable.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:35 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None, sold it
Not Ranked     

Naw, I won't say it. Just too obvious.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

No call back today from Reliable. From this point forward, I will refer to them as UNreliable carriers. I will not use them again.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Contacted reliable again yesterday, after not receiving a return phone call as promised for the xxxxx time, and was told that it might be two days or another three WEEKS before the delivery of the car. Nobody knows!
So, i contacted upper management and nicely explained the situation. I was basically told tough luck. Management defended their company as if i was attacking them and offered no apology. They stated that communication possibly could have been better, but that was about the only fault they were willing to admit to.
I will never use Reliable Carriers again. They certainly do not live up to their name. After this experience, i suggest others look elsewhere for their transportation needs as well.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Cobra Chassis #408, 427FE, TKO600
Not Ranked     

Great....I just contracted them early this week for a pick-up.

We'll see how that goes.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Maybe you will have better luck. They were good to me in the past and that is why i decided to use them again.
However, Im pretty ticked off at the way i have been treated this time. It seems like I am just an insignificant person that ships a couple of cars a year and they could care less. As a repeat customer, i certainly expected to be treated better.
Old 06-17-2011, 01:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star 351W/408CI 525HP
Not Ranked     

Gentlemen,

I am in the Transportation Business, not cars but oilfield equipment, and you ain't seen nothing yet. I have no doubt that in the past trucking services have been at a better level. In the last couple of years the economy, and several other issues have led to the loss of thousands of truckers. In my industry the average truck drivers age has increased almost a year every year. This means we have no new drivers entering into the profession. Alot of the larger trucking companies are trying to change that thru aggressive recruiting and working with the govt. in allowing more individuals access to a comercial drivers lisc. This is both good and bad. Less experience with a driver handling an 80K pound rig traveling 70 mph down the highway sounds a bit scary.

Long story short, and the answer to your original question. Most Transportation businesses do not have nearly enough available company equipment to meet their customer demands. In this case they will broker the load to another trucking business and keep a "Finders Fee". They lose control over your Car at that time and are at the mercy of that companys schedule.

Larry Boatner

HINT: Ask the company That you contract to will your car be on their truck and be insured by their insurance!!!! When they BROKER out you freight "CAR" the first place outside trucking companies cut cost in a bad economy, Their Insurance" Ask me how I know!!!
Old 06-17-2011, 01:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

They just called and they want to deliver the car to my paint shop at 8am Sunday morning. WTH? Really, 8am Sunday morning. The shop is closed. I swear they are doing this on purpose at this point. Now they are acting like i am being an inconvenience.
Old 06-17-2011, 02:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: HM-2027 / 427 SO
Not Ranked     

.................................................. ................

Last edited by FFR428; 06-18-2011 at 11:43 AM..
Old 06-17-2011, 02:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #766, FE V8, Toploader
Not Ranked     

Intercity Lines has been recommended many times on this forum. I used them to deliver my ERA kit from its Connecticut "birthplace" to my home in Texas. No problems, everything as promised, the driver even kept in touch with me by cell phone during the trip out so that I always knew how things were progressing.

I recommend them highly.
Old 06-17-2011, 03:07 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RestoCreations View Post
They just called and they want to deliver the car to my paint shop at 8am Sunday morning. WTH? Really, 8am Sunday morning. The shop is closed. I swear they are doing this on purpose at this point. Now they are acting like i am being an inconvenience.
The delivery time and place doesn't that out of the ordinary to me, but I'm not an experienced buyer and seller of cars that's used auto transports a lot.

Personally, I would be thankful the car is being delivered and hopefully without any damage.
Old 06-17-2011, 03:21 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Original ERA 427sc, Powered by Gessford
Not Ranked     

Use Intercity Lines next time.

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."
Old 06-17-2011, 03:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

I've had only one experience with Intercity Lines but I would also recommend them based on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cscobra View Post
Intercity Lines has been recommended many times on this forum. I used them to deliver my ERA kit from its Connecticut "birthplace" to my home in Texas. No problems, everything as promised, the driver even kept in touch with me by cell phone during the trip out so that I always knew how things were progressing.

I recommend them highly.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:08 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Reliable does not broker. They do have awful pickup wait times though. Auto transport took a major dump around 3 years ago. I use Intercity, Precious Metals, EVT (if they promise to use their truck), or do it ourselves. If FL to CT we use Rocket Express.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Make a subtle mention of the PUC and ICC. You will at least get their attention.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 1964 289->Webers
Not Ranked     

I would be nervous bringing this up during transport. A professional would take corrective action & take care of you. There are a lot of very unprofessional people out there these days. I hope the car turns up, as promised.
On the other hand, I am glad the subject is brought up. I'm looking to moving a couple cars in the future. Having moved a couple cars in the past, I know how nerve racking it can be. & luckily my experiences have all been good. Intercity lines was great for me. I can't, for the life of me remember the other guy I used but he is a west coast transporter only. I'll post his name, If I can find it.
Old 06-18-2011, 06:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Last edited by FFR428; 06-18-2011 at 11:44 AM..
Old 06-18-2011, 09:06 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFR428 View Post
They told me at the time they only were a broker. So maybe that has changed since I used them.
Had to be a company with a similar name. We've been doing this for 7 years and I have used Reliable for about 6 years off and on. They are known in the industry for having the most trucks (like 300) vs. a company like Intercity with 30.

Passport is back in the game I hear, they were gobbled up by FedEx and then FedEx dumped the biz right before Barrett Jackson Scottsdale (major mess).
Old 06-18-2011, 11:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Cashburn your right it was another company I used. Not the same one and edited my posts. Sorry about that everyone.