Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2011, 03:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 289 FIA, 363 Stroker
Not Ranked     
Default NEgative battery cable ??

I have an aluminum block and im wondering if i should run the ground/negative battery cable to the engine block, or would it be better simply to run it to the steel frame?
Thanks
Old 06-19-2011, 03:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 Cobra
Not Ranked     

Run it to the frame, and then run a ground wire from the engine to the frame. There are a lot of opinions on this but if you run it to the frame you pick up all the grounds for lighting and such at the same time. I run one of those stainless woven grounds from the engine to the frame, plus a #10 wire in another location.

Second thought!
Actually, I'm not sure there is correct answer to that question. I know on some expensive cars they don't use the frame as a ground for the starter, they go to the engine and then go with frame grounds to the engine. I did talk to one wire harness manufacturer that said he has seen problems with frame grounds from time to time.

Last edited by Wbulk; 06-19-2011 at 04:00 PM.. Reason: Info added
Old 06-19-2011, 04:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ive got a couple of massive engine to frame grounds that i made out of welding wire. Ill probably take your advice and run those to the frame and run the battery cable to the engine.
Old 06-19-2011, 05:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Depending on location of the battery

RestoCreations It's more important to have good clean battery cables and connections to battery and frame. IMO if
the battery is in the trunk 2 different locations for ground cables in the trunk. For the motor a min of 2 grounds, one one each side of the motor, have them bolted to a dry holes in the head or block. It also doesn't hurt to add one to the trans or bell housing.
the battery in under the hood again 2 grounds min. Major ground wire to the block, and secondary cable to the frame. Also run 1 ground strap between frame and block. Apply dye electric grease on connections to weather proof.
If you are running an FI system, add 1 10 gauge wire for the ecm grounds direct from battery. Rick Lake
Old 06-19-2011, 05:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

Yep. Can't have enough grounds.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the replies!

The car officially has power and turns over, but currently i only have the main battery ground running to the passenger engine mount. I will run two grounds off the engine to the frame tomorrow, one off the transmissions, and then the extra lead that came with the neg battery cable to the frame in the trunk.

Not to get off topic, but there was no rhyme or reason to the numbering or the ordering of the terminals on the Lucas ignition switch. I figured 1 would be for 12V in, 2 Would be for accessories, and 3 would be for crank and safety switch, but i was wrong.