15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30          

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2011, 10:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF2984 MK111, Roush 511 IR FE 8 Stack, Dynoed: [flywheel] 572HP at 6000 , 556# Torque at 4700, Bowler 4R70W Auto Transmision. Tires: Mickey T's S/R 26.0x10.0x15.0 F ,26.0x12.0x15.0 R Color, Bleck, because they told me it was Bleck, at the factory.
Not Ranked     
Default tin-man has a question about filling body mounted mirror holes

During my enjoyable but very brief ride I realized the body mounted rear view mirrors, while being I guess, period correct, are for all practical purposes none functional in the sense y'all can't see squat of what coming up behind you out of either side, well at least this was my experience, so I am considering installing the Raydot side mounted mirrors shown in the picture below.

The picture is courtesy of a club members previous post.

So here is my question:

Once the old mirrors are removed how did you guys fix or cover the holes that remained in the body, what was the solution? Remember my car is brand new and has a fine paint job so filling and a paint redo are not on my list of to do things at this time, so I need some suggestions for best alternate to filling and repaint.

Pictures of what you did would be very helpful not only to me but to other folks who may be considering the same thing..

I do thank you in advance for taking the time to respond.

With respect, tin-man

Old 07-18-2011, 12:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I replaced the mirror in mine with a $2.50 convex mirror from Autozone. Problem solved. Can see fine now.

Besides, if you are ever in doubt about changing lanes - use the peddle on the right and apply it firmly to the floor.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Black CSX 4910, Roush 511 8 stack
Not Ranked     

that is how I have mine and I love it. It is actually functioning and I can see out of it. HRBD can fix you up. They custome mde the bracket to do mine that way as I didnt want to pu tholes in the body.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2009 Solbra
Not Ranked     

It depends on how your mirrors where attached to the fiberglass mine where set into nutserts & I screwed in a couple of stainless round headed screws which look fine.

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.
(No doubt, most will blame it on the donuts.)
You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me
Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
The gene pool could use a little chlorine.
The original point and click interface was a Smith & Wesson.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:32 AM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Terlingua decal over some kind of temporary plug. Wait til a repaint and get it properly filled.

Last edited by Jamo; 07-18-2011 at 04:35 AM..
Old 07-18-2011, 05:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance SP02228, ROUSH 402R w/custom DiVinci Performance Carb.
Not Ranked     
Default Fill and Paint

Had a great body shop fill and paint, as well as repairing rock dings on me bleck cobra. At the same time I had my paint protection replaced because the 3M film was no good or the install was crappy....don’t know. I replaced it with Armor Coat. Best stuff if you hate rock chips. I have several images of the work in my gallery
Old 07-18-2011, 12:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#0760
Not Ranked     

The mounting holes for the body mirrors are usually anything but precision drilled in the body. If you are lucky, all you have are two small holes from wood screws...But I know of one "lucky guy" who removed his mirror and found a winged drywall anchor under the mirror base...The wide angle stick-on mirrors are quite popular.

Large, easy to read and trace schematics with part numbers, wire colors, wire gauge, fuses, and electrical upgrade information. Trouble-shooting and replacement part numbers for those roadside repair adventures.
SPFWiringDiagrams@Comcast.net
Old 07-18-2011, 02:59 PM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 427 S/C, Twin Paxton 511 FE
Not Ranked     

tin-man,
If you like the looks of the original, don't give up on them so fast.
As STL Mark said, a convex mirror (or 2) should do the trick.
One thing I love about Cobras is the view. Don't be afraid to turn your head a little.