22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30          

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2012, 08:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Buy a late model Z06... For < $50K a very nice low mile used one can be had.

With just minimal bolt-ons (headers/CAI and tune) I'm pushing 509 rwhp with mine. That's good for just a tad over 200 mph, given enough room. Cam and head work can push you to 600 rwhp+. That'll net you 10.3 to 10.8 through the quarter at around 130-135 mph trap speed. I get 28 mph on trips and as my daily beater (80K miles) nets me 22 mpg combined!

Mine's been rock-solid too!
Old 02-27-2012, 08:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

After 20 years of constant tinkering with a Cobra and an unfortunate meeting with some Armco, I "traded" for a plain Jane 5.0 Mustang and that car impresses me more than the Cobra ever did. Definitely not as fast but it turns, stops and is much easier to drive fast than the Cobra.
412 HP, A/C, roof, 25 MPG what's not to like?
Old 02-27-2012, 08:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #1962, 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Keep the Cobra and take up skydiving. You can enjoy the ride to the airport, and then really get your adrenaline going.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

My recommendations:

1. 2007-2009 GT500. You can buy an extremely low mileage car for the low $30s and with $15k in modifications have an 850hp car like mine that handles and stops well. It makes all the right noises and is plenty fast.

2. Ariel Atom

3. Used Z06 like others have mentioned.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classics, red white stripes
Not Ranked     
Default Pantera

I've never driven or ridden in a Cobra (next on my list), but I currently have a 72 Pantera and an 01 Viper GTS ACR. I used to own a 67 428 Mustang, and many other average cars.

The Viper feels like a Vette. The Vette is a better car, due to being more mature, and having higher production numbers, but the feeling is pretty similar. The Viper has the long hood feeling, and it generally feels like a heavier car with more power, but the two are pretty similar. You can buy Gen-1 or Gen-2 Vipers for the mid $30's all day long.

The Pantera is amazing, especially once it is updated. They have the same problems you'll find in any 40 year old car, but once you take care of the basics they are extremely fun. A slightly warmed over Pantera will *smoke* nearly any stock car on the road, including a Lamborghini Diablo, Ferrari 512TR, and just about anything from Porsche.

The Pantera community is very good too. A few hours after I bought my Pantera, there were 2 owners at my place checking over my car and telling me what I needed to address.

It is a different feel from a Cobra (assuming, since I haven't driven a Cobra). It has a short hood, so you can see the road really well. It feels like a 500HP go-kart. It is comfortable, does not kill your ear drums, and is pretty reliable once sorted.

A stock Pantera will hit 160mph fairly easily. Most every other car I've driven seems to hit a wall around 110mph. My Pantera pulls hard to 130mph (track time), and wants to keep going. It feels very stable over 100mph.

There is some bad press on Panteras, but most of those problems were resolved very early. I don't really care about the bad press. It keeps the prices artificially low.

A Pantera in pretty good shape, but not sorted is in the mid $30's. You can find them cheaper, but you have to look. A sorted Pantera is in the mid/upper $40's. And then you can personalize it - different seats, wheels, etc. If you spend your money wisely, $60K would get you a terrific Pantera.

It would not be a replacement for a Cobra. They are very different. They compliment each other very well.

I would have included GT40, but you can't get a GT40 for $60K. Otherwise, it would be a perfect compliment to a Cobra. Most people use a 351W variant, but you can build them with an FE. I have a friend with a Superformance. It is a rocket. It even uses pin drive Halibrands.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:26 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxx View Post
OMG, Nice!!!!! Never even thought of that, what type of maint cost are involved with one?
All Ferrari's are hugely expensive to maintain, but it is generally recommended to buy nothing older than the 360's, if choosing a modern Ferrari. Things like you don't have to pull the engine to perform maintenance.

I would stay away from 308's, 328's, 348's and 355's.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:34 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkooiman View Post
The Pantera is amazing, especially once it is updated.
Now I think this is a very smart choice.

I would add a couple of others.

1. A fully restored Sunbeam Tiger MK1 or MK1A or a driver MKII.
2. A Porsche 993 (1996-1998) Twin Turbo. The 993's are the last of the air-cooled Porsches.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classics, red white stripes
Not Ranked     
Default Pantera Maint Costs

If you do your own work, the maintenance costs are low. Once you have it sorted, you mostly just add gas, check oil, brake pads, coolant, etc.

The engine is American (351C). The second most popular is 351W (392, etc.). I've seen or heard of 429/460, 427FE, BBC, SBC, 302 Ford, and even Chrysler Hemi.

The trans is a ZF 5-speed. It is expensive to repair (avg $5K), but they are very strong and reliable.

The rest is very cheap, but you need to talk to the Pantera group to save a lot of time finding parts. The rear wheel bearings, for example, are an enclosed ball bearing design. If you go to Autozone, they'll shake their heads. If you go to a bearing supply store with the correct part number, they'll sell all 4 rear bearings for under $100. The front wheel bearings are the same as 67-69 Mustang. Once again, if you go to Autozone and ask for bearings for a 72 Pantera, they'll say, "What?" If you say, 67 Mustang wheel bearings, they'll have 'em.

On the other hand, if you don't do your own work, you could spend a lot of money educating the local mechanic.

And if you want to check one out, there are owners all over the place (even Hawaii, Sweden, Canada, Japan, and Alaska). They'll even let you drive one. They are just as cool as the Cobra owners.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Wow great discussion. Things I love about the cobra, appearance, beat the heck out of it and it wont break (BFG T/A's) I can repair anything on it. Holds it value better than most.

Things I dont need on a Cobra - more power, the fastest I go is 100mph, and that fast enough for me, I just like getting there real quick. 0-60 mph @ 4.5 sec is plenty fast to me.

Things I dont like - rain, 95F and sunny, little to no creature comforts.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:28 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

Again, the GT500KR or '013 Boss 301 LS fill your bill perfectly. American muscle, ease of maintainence, brutal performance and accelaration and exclusivity. They are the only two choices I see from the above list that can provide all of those factors.

Your money though. Your choice.

Good luck with your hunt.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:38 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by REAL 1 View Post
Again, the GT500KR or '013 Boss 301 LS fill your bill perfectly. American muscle, ease of maintainence, brutal performance and accelaration and exclusivity. They are the only two choices I see from the above list that can provide all of those factors.

Your money though. Your choice.

Good luck with your hunt.
Personally, I wouldn't buy a new Ford, but that's just me. Putting aside the car will depreciate in a hurry, IMHO, they ain't that good looking.

If you're considering a new or newer car and American, then another car to consider is the new Camaro ZL1.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:44 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Pantera with a Coyote swap... for the win!

Drop ship to us, we will partner on the build:

Other Makes : De Tomaso Pantera Other Makes : De Tomaso Pantera | eBay

Last edited by Cashburn; 02-27-2012 at 01:46 PM..
Old 02-27-2012, 01:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Cobra, 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
Had one of these, when gas was $2.00/gallon. You think your gasoline bill is high now......
Old 02-27-2012, 02:17 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

In response to Rodknock I say....GT500KR was produced only 2 years ('08 and '09). Only 1600 produced. Likely the last pre title Shelby to ever come out of SAI, nearly 600 hp stock. Looks are subjective. I love the looks.

Boss 302 LS. Again, limited production. If Ford lives up to their claim this will be the last year of the Boss. Killer performance. Looks are subjective. I love the looks.

Camaro ZL1. It's nice but the new 2013 GT500 is going to make it it's "B..itch" Also, I suppose you have info that ZL1 resale will be better then the GT500?

Those are my suggestions and what I'd spend my $$$ on but its not my money so they are just my suggestions.

Last edited by REAL 1; 02-27-2012 at 02:20 PM..
Old 02-27-2012, 02:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, 427 SOHC
Not Ranked     

To me Pantera's are dated....not in a good way. They just dont have the same WOW factor as a Ferrari or a Cobra. Not to mention, the interiors are not so great.

Forget the corvette junk. Rough ride, creeks and rattles to beat hell, miles of hood in front of you and you haven't set yourself apart from the other middle aged balding guy sitting in his vette one lane over. Not to mention, it's a GM (Govt. Motors) product.

The answer: Get (or build) yourself a Steel Brookville bodied 32' Ford Roadster! Drop a coyote, flathead or small block Ford in it and you're off to the races. The possibilities are endless...

Just my 2 cents....
Old 02-27-2012, 02:44 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by REAL 1 View Post
In response to Rodknock I say....GT500KR was produced only 2 years ('08 and '09). Only 1600 produced. Likely the last pre title Shelby to ever come out of SAI, nearly 600 hp stock. Looks are subjective. I love the looks.

Boss 302 LS. Again, limited production. If Ford lives up to their claim this will be the last year of the Boss. Killer performance. Looks are subjective. I love the looks.

Camaro ZL1. It's nice but the new 2013 GT500 is going to make it it's "B..itch" Also, I suppose you have info that ZL1 resale will be better then the GT500?

Those are my suggestions and what I'd spend my $$$ on but its not my money so they are just my suggestions.

Well, I wouldn't buy any of them personally. I don't like the new Mustang's or Camaro's, but if you like performance, then I suppose (reluctantly) they're a good choice.

Limited production? Again, that's subjective. I wouldn't call 1,600 limited production. They made 47 (or whatever) 1997 Mazda Miata R's, but they're still $5,000-$10,000 cars. Whoop-Dee-Doo.

If it were me, then I would look at a Porsche 993 TT, low mileage Cabriolet or 997.2 or even an early long hood Porsche like a 1973 911E or S. The Porsche prices have been on an upswing for quite some time.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Once drove our 69 SS Chevelle 454,to Dodge dealership tried out an SRT Charger when they were first offered.Wow! what a disappointment.Too smooth too quiet,and all together too tame.The big block Cobra is what I have always wanted from the getgo.It looks good from every angle,sounds good,love the shake,well you guys already know what I'm saying.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: #6101 streetbeast Ingelese stack EFI 351w/t-5 9" 4link 3.55
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdross1 View Post
Once drove our 69 SS Chevelle 454,to Dodge dealership tried out an SRT Charger when they were first offered.Wow! what a disappointment.Too smooth too quiet,and all together too tame.The big block Cobra is what I have always wanted from the getgo.It looks good from every angle,sounds good,love the shake,well you guys already know what I'm saying.
Hell yeah!!! You know it!
Old 02-27-2012, 04:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Since I sold my Cobra I gotta say I do miss it. I had plans for either a Porsche Cayman S or a C6 Vette. I also think that the only all around satisfaction for me will be in a Z06 very soon. However, NO OTHER CAR will give you the immediate recognitiuon and admiration that a 427 Cobra does when it's out and about. None.

Bill
Old 02-27-2012, 04:41 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 532, 466 BB, 560HP
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar73 View Post
To me Pantera's are dated....not in a good way. They just dont have the same WOW factor as a Ferrari or a Cobra. Not to mention, the interiors are not so great.

Forget the corvette junk. Rough ride, creeks and rattles to beat hell, miles of hood in front of you and you haven't set yourself apart from the other middle aged balding guy sitting in his vette one lane over. Not to mention, it's a GM (Govt. Motors) product.

The answer: Get (or build) yourself a Steel Brookville bodied 32' Ford Roadster! Drop a coyote, flathead or small block Ford in it and you're off to the races. The possibilities are endless...

Just my 2 cents....
My Corvette is a great daily driver. Yes, it does suffer from the balding old guy image, but it's still nice since I cannot drive the Cobra that often due to the weather here.