29 30          

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2012, 04:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five, 302 powerdyne supercharged
Not Ranked     

I've been considering this question for a few days and I've come up with zilch, nadda, nuthin.

Nothing looks as cool as a cobra. Can't think of any other car that has the same effect on myself and others.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 838
Not Ranked     

How about a Factory Five GTM. I have never driven one, but they look like they would be fun. GM LS power should make it fly.

GT40 would be on my list, but I don't think I could get one for $60k.

John
Old 02-27-2012, 07:36 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

[QUOTE However, NO OTHER CAR will give you the immediate recognitiuon and admiration that a 427 Cobra does when it's out and about. None.

Bill[/quote]

Wrong. FGT surpasses it in this department.

Rodknock. I like your Porsche suggestions. As to the Mazda Miata R, it's a Mazda. The Shelby is a...well a Shelby. The Boss also is storied name.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:50 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by REAL 1 View Post
Wrong. FGT surpasses it in this department.

Rodknock. I like your Porsche suggestions. As to the Mazda Miata R, it's a Mazda. The Shelby is a...well a Shelby. The Boss also is storied name.
I think we're still talking about $60K cars and obviously the FGT is no where near that price level.

Shelby and Boss are storied names, back in the 1960's. The modern Shelby and Boss just don't have that same "je ne sais quoi."

Personally, I think the 1st generation of Mazda Miata's have reached that iconic status, but that's just me.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Camaro ZL1. It's nice but the new 2013 GT500 is going to make it it's "B..itch" Also, I suppose you have info that ZL1 resale will be better then the GT500?

Evidently you didn't see the 7.42 the ZL1 turned at the ring. The GT500 (track wise) is going to be the ZL1's biatch. With slicks and a 1/4 mile run things "may" be different, not by much though...
Old 02-28-2012, 07:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates/Shell Valley Street Cobra
Not Ranked     
Default Bang for the buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratsnst1 View Post
buy a used vette thats been gone thrue, and save have of your budget money.about a 2000 to a 2006, done deal nothing will come close.
You cannot beat a Corvette. Mine is pretty much bullet proof and if you have any trouble, there is a Chev Dealer every 100 miles in the USA. Corvette's will give you that great V8 sound and performance plus you will have AIR and a Bose and even great MPG .The 911's are unique and a lot of fun, BUT, god forbid if you have trouble. I don't care for the wow factor and these cars do not get a second look, as people have seen them for 50 years. I kept my SPF and if anything, it is even more fun to drive now that I have alternatives. I also considered a Mercedes 600 SL but, in the end, you just can't beat a Vette. You can drive one across Texas any day of the year in complete comfort. These things are loafing at 100mph and the faster you go, the more downforce you create....edited to add, I am a short, balding old man and I could care less about image...

Last edited by Bartruff1; 02-28-2012 at 07:20 AM..
Old 02-28-2012, 07:34 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I struggled to decide between a Kirkham 289 slabside/hybrid and this:

Beck 904 -- The Ultimate Replica
Old 02-28-2012, 10:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, 427 SOHC
Not Ranked     

MadMax--- think out of the box. Go with a Ford Raptor SuperCrew. It hauls ass. Its piss mean. It will drive right over a corvette (assuming its parked of course) without missing a beat. I drive mine everywhere and love it. I recently golfed at a fancy course in SO CA. The valet's were thrilled to drive it over the Ferraris, Porshes, Mercedes, etc that are a dime a dozen here. 60K will just about get the job done too!
Old 02-28-2012, 10:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Cassani View Post
I struggled to decide between a Kirkham 289 slabside/hybrid and this:

Beck 904 -- The Ultimate Replica
So which one did you go with? I am not familiar with the Beck, thanks for the info. From the front the car is beuatiful, but somewhere mid doorline back, some of the proportions and angles seem a little off... to me that is. The 289 looks good from any angle.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:39 AM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     

On the C6 Vettes, a co-worker recently gave me a ride on his 08 and while we were driving he related a story of locking himself IN the car. Seems with one of these, if the battery is close to dying, you DON'T close the door until it's started because the door latches (all electric) won't function if there is no power. He said he called his wife on his cell to get her to come out and help him remove the top so he could get out. The story reminded me of "Blondestar."

Now that just seems goofy as heck to me so; you guys with vettes ever experience anything like that?
Old 02-28-2012, 11:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovehamr View Post
On the C6 Vettes, a co-worker recently gave me a ride on his 08 and while we were driving he related a story of locking himself IN the car. Seems with one of these, if the battery is close to dying, you DON'T close the door until it's started because the door latches (all electric) won't function if there is no power. He said he called his wife on his cell to get her to come out and help him remove the top so he could get out. The story reminded me of "Blondestar."

Now that just seems goofy as heck to me so; you guys with vettes ever experience anything like that?
Yep. I am not a fan of the keyless Fob. A guy at my office left his Fob in his vette, the door locked, which is not supposed to happen when the key is in close proximatey, he didnt have an onstar account. AAA popped the door open. A real pain the ass. I like good old fashioned keys.... no headaches.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:10 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Dar73 asks me, "So which one did you go with?"

I chose the Kirkham hybrid - slabside body, narrowed 427 frame with a coil spring suspension. I'm waiting for the builders estimate of time and materials. We're likely to go back and forth a few times, coming to agreement on the details.

Then come the months of waiting....

I've examined, but not driven, a Beck 904 at several vintage events. Their owners are pleased with the car. Using the last generation of air-cooled flat sixes results in a car that is much quicker than the original while giving up nothing in the way of street driveability. Be sure to try on one for size, especially if you're taller than six feet. Beck lengthened the chassis, with the added wheelbase allowing a far less cramped interior. Still, your head will be closer to the windshield than you may be accustomed to...

Visibility out of the car is very good. The owner's tell me handling is without reproach, inviting cornering speeds they had not attempted in a street cat.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:56 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
I think we're still talking about $60K cars and obviously the FGT is no where near that price level.

Shelby and Boss are storied names, back in the 1960's. The modern Shelby and Boss just don't have that same "je ne sais quoi."

Personally, I think the 1st generation of Mazda Miata's have reached that iconic status, but that's just me.
Rodknock: His statement wasn't qualified at all. As to cars in the $60K range I agree that against those cars the Cobra is the most attention getting.

As to "je ne sais quoi", first ("F" the French), second if the French say it must be so you know it ain't. Third, I don't read or speak French so don't care what they say and Finally, and most importantly I think the modern Shelbys still have a VERY high level of desirabiltiy. I need only point to the 50th anniversary Shelby 289s that were sold out in an hour. That says it all. Of course the classic Shelbys demand the really big dollars but a Shelby is a Shelby and still very desirable (some more than others granted BUT thats with anything).

As to 1st gen Mazada's reaching Iconic status...your right...it is just you.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF # 2099 Oh yeah, just got it!
Not Ranked     

Rally Fighter - Home

Since I am new to the Cobra world the last thing on my mind is replacing it. But if you wanted a very unique vehicle that can go just about any where and draw as much or more attention as the Cobra then there is the Rally Fighter part car part off roader. And it is powered by a 6.2 liter Corvette engine. They are also custom wrapped instead of painted so if you every got bored of your paint scheme it could just be replaced. It might help if you are truely a Mad Max fan as your display name implies.

Last edited by bnelsonod; 02-28-2012 at 02:33 PM..
Old 02-28-2012, 02:42 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Rodknock: His statement wasn't qualified at all. As to cars in the $60K range I agree that against those cars the Cobra is the most attention getting.

As to "je ne sais quoi", first ("F" the French), second if the French say it must be so you know it ain't. Third, I don't read or speak French so don't care what they say and Finally, and most importantly I think the modern Shelbys still have a VERY high level of desirabiltiy. I need only point to the 50th anniversary Shelby 289s that were sold out in an hour. That says it all. Of course the classic Shelbys demand the really big dollars but a Shelby is a Shelby and still very desirable (some more than others granted BUT thats with anything).

As to 1st gen Mazada's reaching Iconic status...your right...it is just you.

For me, the OP qualifies the $60K limit in the initial post by saying "I have a budget of 60k."

The modern Shelby Mustangs are used cars with "some" desirability, certainly not "very high" to the general sports car buying public.

As for the 50th anniversary Shelbys, come on, are you serious? I heard 1/2 to 2/3rd's of them were bought by dealers for inventory and they're just starting to deliver their first production models. There are plenty for sale, just call your local Shelby dealer.

The 1st generation of Mazda Miatas are very collectible, and iconic. I could go on forever, but here's just a few.

Hemmings:
1990-97 Mazda Miata | Hemmings Motor News

Road & Track:
Complete comparison test of the Mazda MX-5 Miata and the Pontiac Solstice. View photos, data specs of the Mazda MX-5 Miata and Pontiac Solstice at RoadandTrack.com

Businessweek:
25 Most Iconic Cars of the Past 20 Years: Mazda Miata - BusinessWeek

Kelly Blue Book:
Kelley Blue Book

Car Review:
Mazda MX-5 Miata Essential Buyer’s Guide | Car Reviews and news at CarReview.com

The Car Connection:
2012 Mazda MX-5 Miata Reviews and Ratings - The Car Connection

New York Daily News:
New Mazda Miata's outta sight! Iconic roaderster turns 20, more addictive than ever - New York Daily News

Is it just me?

Last edited by RodKnock; 02-28-2012 at 02:44 PM..
Old 02-28-2012, 03:08 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'll take a Shelby any day over a Mazada.

Yes, your right, contemporary Shelbys are used cars today in the resale market but...classic Shelbys were just used cars too a just couple decades ago.

Time will tell.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my beloved Shelby CSX 4068, Gessford 427 Ford
Not Ranked     

RodKnock
Yeah, Miatas are fine cars. But they'll always be a girl's car. If you want a Mazda, how about the last generation RX-7? Looks like a hardtop Cobra, and has balls to boot! I think they're undervalued, and would be a car you could drive a few years and make a profit.

Last edited by DougD; 02-28-2012 at 03:15 PM.. Reason: damned if I didn't use an apostrophe for a plural
Old 02-28-2012, 03:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnelsonod View Post
Rally Fighter - Home

Since I am new to the Cobra world the last thing on my mind is replacing it. But if you wanted a very unique vehicle that can go just about any where and draw as much or more attention as the Cobra then there is the Rally Fighter part car part off roader. And it is powered by a 6.2 liter Corvette engine. They are also custom wrapped instead of painted so if you every got bored of your paint scheme it could just be replaced. It might help if you are truely a Mad Max fan as your display name implies.
WOW
That's got my attention
Old 02-28-2012, 03:31 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I'll take a Shelby any day over a Mazada.

Yes, your right, contemporary Shelbys are used cars today in the resale market but...classic Shelbys were just used cars too a just couple decades ago.

Time will tell.
Can you please spell it "Mazda" not "Mazada." Twice you spelled it wrong. For someone as bright and detailed as you. Oye vey.

I don't own a Mazda Miata, but I would have no problem driving one. I'm confident in my masculinity.

Doug, yes, I really like the 1993-1995 RX7's too, but I'm more of a convertible fan than a Coupe fan.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Get a FFR spec racer and have one for the road and one for the track. You'll have some left over cash for the tires you'll burn up.