22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30          

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2012, 06:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Fibercraft Bodies 427 S/C, 351W disguised as a 427.
Send a message via AIM to SuperHart
Not Ranked     

DLG, you haven't met my wife. LOL Karl, maybe I will try the Castrol Benol 2-stroke oil. Gotta smell better than what my car is belching now and no amount of tuning makes the smell any better. Sometimes I actually wish I had a street Cobra with rear undercar exhaust. I will try the ratio suggested in another posting above and see what happens. Just thought, could you imagine using the fuel fragrance that smells like marijuana and being pulled over by a State Trooper?

To ERAChas, to me, C-14 meant Carbon 14 as in carbon dating. Guess I can't forget what I do for a living. Wasn't aware there was an actual fuel with that designation. I thought you were ribbing me like the guy who suggested painting my Cobra pink and planting flowers. By the way, my wife suggested something along those lines a while back to make her like the car better.

Thanks. You guys are great.
Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Old 07-05-2012, 07:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

Consider this opinion as financial advice more than relationship advice. In my experience, when my now ex-wife didn't like something, resolving one specific complaint only led to her revealing a new complaint. If she doesn't like the Cobra, I wouldn't spend too much money trying to make it better. Sooner or later she'll reveal a complaint you can't fix (e.g., the wind musses my hair and I don't like the way I look in a hat or scarf). I suspect you're going to end up choosing between using the Cobra by yourself, or getting rid of it. ... You're not the first to face this dilemma.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 07-05-2012, 07:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Homebush,B2 Windsor 445
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
I suspect you're going to end up choosing between using the Cobra by yourself........!!!!!!!
Surely the one ultimate goal....!!!!!!

P.S...ADD 10% Methanol there will be tears all-round !!!!!!

And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years- Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by OZCOBRA; 07-05-2012 at 07:59 AM..
Old 07-05-2012, 09:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

I used to have this problem, however when I configured new sidepipes I have the exit at about 45* instead of opening directly to the side as most do. That, and with the windshield at 42* seems to eliminate this. It wasn't planned but seems to have worked.

[IMG][/IMG]

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way

Last edited by Rick Parker; 07-05-2012 at 09:35 AM..
Old 07-05-2012, 12:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Karl, I found the Klotz Benol 2-stroke oil on eBay for 11.99 per pint and ordered. I will report back to the readership after I try it. I also ordered some cotton candy and grape fragrance just in case the Klotz doesn't work. I wasn't brave enough to order the marijuana fragrance although it would have made for some interesting conversation.

Message to Tommy: are you sure you don't already know my wife??? Every day brings a new complaint, a new aggravation, a new problem or at least a resurgence of an old complaint. Solution: cheaper to keep her and ignore her. By the way, it ain't my wife that I am doing all this for.

To Rick Parker: My sidepipes also point down at a 45* angle. Not sure about windshield angle, though.

I will report back after I fiddle around with the Klotz Benol and the fragrance.
Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Old 07-05-2012, 12:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR
Not Ranked     

I wonder if an under car exhaust with rear exit would help with the smell.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast Cobra/427
Not Ranked     

Superheart:
Don't be offended, I can agree wholeheartedly with Silverback, this is the price we pay when we ride Cobra. I gave up on the idea of smelling nice after a ride so I wait to shower after the ride. There is a funny writeup about the Cobras and I will send it to you as an attachment to bring a smile to your face.
Cheers Brother
Sincerely
Basque1(Lou)

Last edited by BAsque1; 07-20-2012 at 05:22 AM.. Reason: better quality picture
Old 07-20-2012, 01:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Gary Edwards Racing 460
Not Ranked     

I keep my cobra in its own garage and I love the smell in there, even my kids love the smell. The smell is part of the experience. A little exhaust, plus some leather mixed in with a little burning rubber.... Put that on a tree and hang it from your mirror!
Old 07-24-2012, 04:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LA Cobra / B&B 427 SO
Not Ranked     

>>>>>

Last edited by dls141; 07-24-2012 at 04:18 PM..
Old 07-24-2012, 04:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LA Cobra / B&B 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Manhattan Oil 19769-32 - Manhattan Oil Fuel Fragrances - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Manhattan Oil makes several different "flavors" of additives. Grape is a favorite. Has no effect on the performance of your gasoline.

And you WON'T smell bad at the end of the day! But you might smell like you've been working in a cotton candy shop.
Old 07-29-2012, 06:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I thought I would bring this thread up to speed now that I have tried a couple of suggestions. First, I couldn't find the actual Castrol product except on eBay and no one would ship it to the USA. Someone finally suggested Klotz Benol (pronounced "bean oil") and found it on eBay as well as a local motorcycle dealer (same price as eBay). Klotz Benol is a castor oil based 2-cycle lubricant pretty much identical to the Castrol product and has an additive to improve exhaust smell. I bought 2 pints and added 8 ounces to a fresh 20 gallon tank of premium gas. The Benol actually did make the exhaust smell a lot more "palatable" and my clothing did smell better. It may be my imagination but I also thought the engine ran a little smoother at idle. In my opinion, the Benol DID make a noticeable difference and ended up costing approximately $6.00 per tank of fuel.

At the next fill up I decided to try something different in order to persuade the little woman to ride in the Cobra so I bought a bottle of Manhattan Oil Cotton Candy fragrance (the vendor's suggestion as the most popular fragrance he sells) and added it to a new 20 gallon fill. "Hey Mikey, she LIKED it." The exhaust smell was definitely improved to the point my woman liked it and asked me to take her for a ride. The smell was definitely cotton candy but not overpowering at all, just enough that clothing didn't have an objectionable combustion smell after a long drive. Cost per bottle approximately $10.00 so it ended up being almost twice as expensive as the Benol but well worth the effort in order to get HER to ride in the car with me all afternoon.

Thanks again to everyone who made suggestions. I hope this update provides some useful information for many of you. Cheers.

Last edited by SuperHart; 07-29-2012 at 06:52 AM..
Old 07-29-2012, 07:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP532, KC427FE, TWM
Not Ranked     

The smell is part of the experience. Maybe try a lexus....

www.KobraBytes.com
Old 07-30-2012, 05:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avmaviator View Post
Good old race fuel smells wonderful to me! Plus the soot in your exhaust will be white... Just don't have to mind paying 6-12 bucks a gallon

A friend recently filled his tank with 100 octane in his 427 Roush and he loved the wonderful fragrance... might be worth a try especially if ya don't shower often.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:56 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 427
Not Ranked     

So is it the mineral oil or the other additives in the Castrol R or Klotz Benol that makes it smell so good?
The reason I ask is I have a couple of pints (left over from a Jag sedan we owned) of Castrol Hydraulic Power Boost System Mineral Oil.
It is a very clear color and light weight (thinner than cooking oil) and I wonder if this would give the same odor as Castrol R/Benol mineral based oils?

Cheers
Greg