22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30          

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2012, 05:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Fibercraft Bodies 427 S/C, 351W disguised as a 427.
Send a message via AIM to SuperHart
Not Ranked     
Default Make My Exhaust Smell Better

OK, Guys. Help me out. I know in the past I have read about a gasoline additive that supposedly makes the exhaust smell better but for the life of me I can't find any old threads about this stuff. Anyone know if there is such a thing? If so, brand name, where to buy, etc. would be appreciated. Thanks to anyone who contributes here.
Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Old 07-03-2012, 05:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Doc-forget that crap-C-14 will do it.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 289 FIA #690, FRPP 427 Boss engine
Not Ranked     

A different flavor for every tank!

Manhattan Oil Fuel Fragrances - SummitRacing.com
Kirkham #690 289 FIA
Old 07-03-2012, 05:54 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperHart View Post
OK, Guys. Help me out. I know in the past I have read about a gasoline additive that supposedly makes the exhaust smell better but for the life of me I can't find any old threads about this stuff. Anyone know if there is such a thing? If so, brand name, where to buy, etc. would be appreciated. Thanks to anyone who contributes here.
I remember the thread vividly... and it was locked. Click here for the last page and my reference to an engine smelling like a fruit salad. Two Engine failures from Southern Automotive
Old 07-03-2012, 05:56 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 532, 466 BB, 560HP
Not Ranked     

Paint the car pink and plant flowers in it.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:29 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #185, Shelby Alloy 482; sold
Not Ranked     

Switch to a new variety of beans.
Bxx1 likes this.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

Many times over the years I have concluded that I could never succeed in retail because I have no clue of what other people might buy. That realization was driven home again after visiting the Manhattan Fuel Fragrance line at Summit Racing. Why anyone would want their gasoline to smell like watermelon is beyond me. But plainly, some people like it.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 07-03-2012, 07:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #647 brushed
Not Ranked     

Good old race fuel smells wonderful to me! Plus the soot in your exhaust will be white... Just don't have to mind paying 6-12 bucks a gallon
Old 07-03-2012, 10:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR
Not Ranked     

Convert to E-85 and your exhaust will smell like popcorn, and it's 105 octane to boot. Otherwise you might consider adding a catalytic converter and EFI. Cheers.
Old 07-04-2012, 04:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Chaps

I am a newbie on here as I am only a dreamer, but very interested in what goes on.

I did build a GT40 in about 1989 but that is long gone.

However, when I was a kid, here in England, about 16 yrs old I had a Lambretta scooter, along with my pals we used to put a little Castrol R on the tank ( 2 stroke engine) and the smell was wonderful.

Found this quote on the internet just now from Castrol

We are often asked about the best way to obtain the Castrol R odour and from our discussions we are aware that many people add a small amount to their fuel. Just how much seems to be an inexact science, but generally the less you can get away with the better. You might like to start with 1000:1 fuel:R ratio (20ml of R in a 20 litre fuel tank) and see how that works, adding more oil if there is insufficient effect. I would suggest if you get as far as 100:1 (200ml of oil in a 20 litre fuel tank) and still aren’t getting the effect you want, you might want to re-consider the benefits versus the downsides!

Try some it cant do any harm.

Baad
Old 07-04-2012, 06:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Oh boy, seems like many of you guys are dyed in the wool comedians. You know, I was being serious here and thanks to the ones who took my post in that light. First, I won't be switching to EFI or installing a cat even though I agree doing so would probably solve the problem. Second, I just wanted to see if there was anything I could add to the fuel to try and reduce the residual smell on my clothes after a long drive. Tuning, etc. hasn't seemed to eliminate that undesirable effect much and those of female persuasion don't share my opinion that exhaust actually smells good.

About Castrol R 2-stroke oil, I'm not sure what to expect inside the combustion chambers of my motor if I added that stuff to the fuel. Anyone know for sure? Beans??? I already tried that and the result actually did smell better than the car exhaust. Lastly, racing fuel is out of the question, I have no idea where to find E-85, and C-14? That was a joke, right? I will check out the fragrances at Summit. Maybe that will calm the powers that be.

Again, thanks to those who took my post seriously. I forgive those who didn't. Just too hard to resist, I know.
Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Old 07-04-2012, 06:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Castol R is not a two stroke oil, I just used it as such, in the quantities mentioned by Castrol it would not cause a problem, it would be like an upper cylinder lubricant like Redex we used in the old days ( I am 60 now). Stll think its worth a try. Smells fantastic I think its castor oil based pressed from beans.

Baaad
Old 07-04-2012, 06:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Lastly, racing fuel is out of the question, I have no idea where to find E-85, and C-14? That was a joke, right?
Again, thanks to those who took my post seriously. I forgive those who didn't. Just too hard to resist, I know.
No it was not a joke. I took your question seriously and gave you a serious answer. You can order C-14 from VP Racing Fuels and similar from Sunoco Race Fuels. Or local engine or race chassis builders.
ANY exhaust smell will permeate your clothes and even Old Spice won't smell better.
Don't forget the soot/dust residue on your skin. After a drive, wipe your head and neck with an astringent pad and then look at it.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:04 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302 Street), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and COB5999 (427 S/C)
Not Ranked     

Add race fuel, smells great!
Old 07-04-2012, 07:41 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 532, 466 BB, 560HP
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Oh boy, seems like many of you guys are dyed in the wool comedians. You know, I was being serious here and thanks to the ones who took my post in that light. First, I won't be switching to EFI or installing a cat even though I agree doing so would probably solve the problem. Second, I just wanted to see if there was anything I could add to the fuel to try and reduce the residual smell on my clothes after a long drive. Tuning, etc. hasn't seemed to eliminate that undesirable effect much and those of female persuasion don't share my opinion that exhaust actually smells good.

About Castrol R 2-stroke oil, I'm not sure what to expect inside the combustion chambers of my motor if I added that stuff to the fuel. Anyone know for sure? Beans??? I already tried that and the result actually did smell better than the car exhaust. Lastly, racing fuel is out of the question, I have no idea where to find E-85, and C-14? That was a joke, right? I will check out the fragrances at Summit. Maybe that will calm the powers that be.

You are riding in an open car that does not have cat's on it. No matter what you do you will smell after a day of riding in the car. It's no different than riding a motorcycle. At the end of the day you smell.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback51 View Post
You are riding in an open car that does not have cat's on it. No matter what you do you will smell after a day of riding in the car. It's no different than riding a motorcycle. At the end of the day you smell.
Yeah, I know about the smell. I was just thinking perhaps I might be able to make the smell a little better. I looked for the Castrol R and it seems that it is available primarily in the UK and web sites state it cannot be shipped to the USA. I might have tried it. All I could find in the USA is Castrol R2 2-stroke snowmobile oil but I'm not sure if that is still castor oil based or not. I wonder if adding a small amount of pure castor oil to the gas would have the same effect.

Just spoke to a dealer who sells the fuel fragrance and he says the most popular ones are cotton candy and grape. GEEZ, they even have one that smells like POT. Go figure.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:46 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I wonder if adding a small amount of pure castor oil to the gas would have the same effect.
Maybe. It worked wonders for Gabriele d'Annunzio.
Old 07-04-2012, 05:30 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX2498 has been in our family garage since '68....Scratch built aluminum bodied 427SC Cobra, 427FE, CSX3000 chassis specs, 95% finished, only needs paint.
Not Ranked     

Hello, Try Castrol Benol 2 stroke oil, it smells great. I even put a cap full in my lawn mower.

later, karl
Old 07-04-2012, 07:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstate; 351 Cleveland
Not Ranked     

Quote:

Find a girl that likes the smell. I find it hard to believe that any woman who finds this kind of car sexy would want it to smell like her body wash.
HM-BUILDER likes this.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:00 PM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     

Finally! A voice of reason! Thank you DLG!