29 30          

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree29Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2013, 10:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

Can we all agree on this?

CSX 2000,3000 series cars are real Shelby cobras AND original Shelby cobras.

CSX 4000+ (all the continuation cars) are Real Shelby cobras but NOT original Shelby cobras. Though they can also be considered a replica of the original cobras.

SPF- Are neither real nor original Shelby cobras. "Built under license by Shelby American" does not qualify them as a real Shelby cobra. Thus, they are a replica.

All the rest- Are replicas (meant to include tribute, clones, kit cars, etc.).

So, when asked by a spectator if your car is "REAL", we all agree that they are really asking if your car is an ORIGINAL Shelby cobra.

Now, either answer yes or no based on the definitions above, make up some smart assed reply or out and out lie. It's not demeaning to own a replica, though some of you seem to think it is.

We all would rather own an original, but the majority of us have lives to live that require most of our money. So owning a replica is as close as we're going to get. There's no shame in owning a replica unless you are ashamed to own one. The public doesn't think any less of you because you can't afford a million dollar car. They can't either. You still have a car that they admire.

So, if you are ashamed to own a cobra replica, then sell it to someone who will take pride in owning it and get something you will be proud to drive. And quit the bickering, smart assed replies and lying to the public. You (the few) make the rest of us look bad.

Once again, what do I know? I don't even own a real Shelby cobra!
Tutosnake likes this.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SAI; '68 427FESO Southern Automotive
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
Hector, this thread is for aluminum cars only, because a true replica must be made of aluminum.

Hector, first, there are owners of 1960's era Cobras on this thread and I get the feeling they're not fond of any replicas, including continuation Shelby Cobras. Second, this forum is for ALL Cobras, not just Shelby's. Please don't try to limit my or others free speech just because we don't own a Shelby Cobra. This is a public forum and we can speak as long as we abide by the rules of the forum.

Lastly, this thread is like all the threads before it on the subject. This thread should have been closed a long time ago. Did you read the OP's original question? How does it feel to be asked whether your CSX2000 or CSX3000 is real or an original? DUH!
RodKnock! I like that you brought up the aluminum issue from our last exchange... I thought that was good
On the freedom of speech thing...CHILL!! It was never my intension to address that right EVER! What I meant is that here we are trying to explain our position on original v. real to what SEEMED to me non-Shelby Cobra owners (ERA, KM, etc.) and interestingly enough, not to owners of original cars. Again, I know there are owners of original cars in CC, but to my best estimate, none have written their view on this thread. Therefore, I suggested that perhaps the conversation, or debate should be entertained by the two subjects: CSX2000/3000 owners of original cars (and COC, COB, etc), and the owners of modern 4000/6000/1000/7000/9000 real cars. No intension to leave all you others out
You're so correct about original owners... I would be upset, too. That's why I would never consider buying an original CSX car (which is a moot point, because I do not have that kind of $$). Nowadays, if you shell out a cool mil to buy a unique car, please do yourself a favor and stay away from the most imitated car in automotive history If you want exclusivity, hit the ferrari, bugatti, jag, or porsche market But I guess what I was referring to is that even thouhg they should have the biggest chip on their shoulders, they do not necessarily behave like that on public forums.
I may be wrong, but it seems to me that owners of original cars may rightfully be upset about Mr. Shelby's financial maneuvers such as Continuation cars with CSX serial numbers, etc., BUT because THEY know they own one of the 900 or so original cars, that exclusivity is enough to allow them let the Continuation owners BE.
I would never expect a NON-ORIGINAL car to grace the lawn at Pebble Beach or Lake Como. I am also completely kosher with separating original from continuation cars are any venue. The owners of original cars deserve that. Nevertheless, those circumstances only deal with one fact: my car is not original. Those circumstances do not alter another fact: a CSX Continuation car is a real Shelby Cobra.
Oh, and I forget who mentioned this, but I want to go on record here at CC:
Although I would not mind making a profit in ANY transaction I involve myself, I did not buy a CSX continuation car as an investment. That's ridiculous Read my comments again! I would NEVER buy a Cobra (original or not) as an investment. There are many better cars for that!!! A CSX car gave ME the satisfaction of buying a Shelby product, certifiable as such, and nothing else.

I really enjoyed this debate, to be honest. I think it stimulates creativity and makes me laugh at times
To close this message, I would like to thank Mr. REAL 1 for commenting on my car.
Cheers!!
Tuto
Old 06-23-2013, 10:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Viking Blue "64" 289 FIA comp car by Superformance #0002, Keith Craft - 331 (460HP), Jim Inglese - 48IDA Weber carbs, BW T10 4spd.
Not Ranked     

mrmustang,

Not bashing? Do you think this is supportive and helps sell Shelby's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post
Well, actually I do own an original Shelby, so that blows your theory out of the water. Ask why CSX Continuation cars Re shut out of pebble beach or other such prestigious events. Or why Continuation series cars Re parked seperatly from CSX2000/3000 cars at other events. It is most certainly not done out of envy.

Truth s told I find more continuation series cars with a chip on their shoulders because there cars are not treated as equals to the CSX2000/3000 series cars. Perhaps because they bought in to the hype that SAI dished out while they were selling them. Expecting them to become the next overnight quality investment and double in value.

Bill S.
I suspect they appear to YOU to have a chip on their shoulder's because of your biased opinion about their cars and the people that own them.

Yeah "Welcome to Club Cobra...The world's largest non-biased Cobra site!"

Old 06-23-2013, 11:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Well, actually I do own an original Shelby, so that blows your theory out of the water. Ask why CSX Continuation cars Re shut out of pebble beach or other such prestigious events. Or why Continuation series cars Re parked seperatly from CSX2000/3000 cars at other events. It is most certainly not done out of envy.

Truth s told I find more continuation series cars with a chip on their shoulders because there cars are not treated as equals to the CSX2000/3000 series cars. Perhaps because they bought in to the hype that SAI dished out while they were selling them. Expecting them to become the next overnight quality investment and double in value.

Bill S.
Aha!, it was you, MrMustang!! I will direct you to my last reply above. My apologies to Mr. RodKnock, since I thought he made the comments about Pebble Beach and investment.

Cheers!
Tuto
Old 06-23-2013, 11:11 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-289 FIA, 65 Sunbeam Tiger, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightNFast View Post
mrmustang,

Not bashing? Do you think this is supportive and helps sell Shelby's?

This site, and it's members are not here to help sell Shelby's, what in the world ever gave you the impression it was? We are here because we love the Cobra (and Shelby's as a whole). We are as unbiased as possible when not put in to a situation where there are no real winners, and we all lose by bickering about petty things (such as the hair splitting of this thread). Feel free to read my sig line, not sure about you, but I live it every day.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 06-23-2013, 11:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Remember that the original AC was not called a Cobra - it was the AC Ace. An original Ace was at a local car show last weekend. Everyone asked him if it was a Cobra kit.

But to the general resurgance of this subject, it has gone beyond vampires. It's full fledged Zombies. No matter what you can't kill them. They, just like this subject, will rise from the grave for time immemorial. To which the same people will make the same circular arguments.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhv48 View Post
Can we all agree on this?

CSX 2000,3000 series cars are real Shelby cobras AND original Shelby cobras.

CSX 4000+ (all the continuation cars) are Real Shelby cobras but NOT original Shelby cobras. Though they can also be considered a replica of the original cobras.

SPF- Are neither real nor original Shelby cobras. "Built under license by Shelby American" does not qualify them as a real Shelby cobra. Thus, they are a replica.

All the rest- Are replicas (meant to include tribute, clones, kit cars, etc.).

So, when asked by a spectator if your car is "REAL", we all agree that they are really asking if your car is an ORIGINAL Shelby cobra.

Now, either answer yes or no based on the definitions above, make up some smart assed reply or out and out lie. It's not demeaning to own a replica, though some of you seem to think it is.

We all would rather own an original, but the majority of us have lives to live that require most of our money. So owning a replica is as close as we're going to get. There's no shame in owning a replica unless you are ashamed to own one. The public doesn't think any less of you because you can't afford a million dollar car. They can't either. You still have a car that they admire.

So, if you are ashamed to own a cobra replica, then sell it to someone who will take pride in owning it and get something you will be proud to drive. And quit the bickering, smart assed replies and lying to the public. You (the few) make the rest of us look bad.

Once again, what do I know? I don't even own a real Shelby cobra!
A Vampire Zombie told me I should say this:

So I think this is a good summary, especially the statement in bold. Most people when asking about Cobras use "real" and "original" interchangeably, while [at least in my opinion] there is a difference. When explained, most people understand the difference and add "I didn't know that [Shelby American still makes Cobras]"

And then like Forrest Gump said, "that's all I have to say about that".
Old 06-23-2013, 11:36 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tutosnake View Post
Again, I know there are owners of original cars in CC, but to my best estimate, none have written their view on this thread.
Cheers!!
Tuto
Tuto, there may be others, but "A Snake", "Cobra #3170" and "Nedsel" are all owners of original 1960's era Shelby Cobras and have commented on this thread.

Quote:
That's correct. My car is not "licensed by SAI". It is built under the license of "Carroll Shelby Licensing Inc."
Maybe others can see a difference here in this statement, but I sure don't.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:42 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ntCobra View Post
Hmm, I suspect that someone trying to enter a 2013 Corvette Z06 into Pebble Beach would just be a confused person, yet he/she still owns a "real" Corvette, just not an "original" Z06.
The flaw with this argument or statement is that the 2013 Z06 doesn't remotely look like a 1963 Z06.
Old 06-23-2013, 12:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: COX 6111 - '66 "AC 289 Sports."
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
Tuto, there may be others, but "A Snake", "Cobra #3170" and "Nedsel" are all owners of original 1960's era Shelby Cobras and have commented on this thread.

Maybe others can see a difference here in this statement, but I sure don't.
Actually, one of this group no longer owns any Shelby Cobras. But he does have a genuine, original AC Cobra, and as this thread evolves, he is increasingly happy about that fact.
A-Snake and LMH like this.
Old 06-23-2013, 12:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2 AC Aces, 1 w/289, 1 w/TBD
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
Remember that the original AC was not called a Cobra - it was the AC Ace. An original Ace was at a local car show last weekend. Everyone asked him if it was a Cobra kit.
Going back to the question in the OP, as an Ace owner it irritates me to get ask all the time if my car is a real Cobra. Sheesh they built over 1000 real Cobras and only 600+ real Aces so I would like to get some Ace respect instead of being lumped in with all of those CSX cars built in Los Angeles.
LMH likes this.
Old 06-23-2013, 12:26 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #185, Shelby Alloy 482; sold
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 289ACE View Post
Going back to the question in the OP, as an Ace owner it irritates me to get ask all the time if my car is a real Cobra. Sheesh they built over 1000 real Cobras and only 600+ real Aces so I would like to get some Ace respect instead of being lumped in with all of those CSX cars built in Los Angeles.

You and Rodney.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Iwu-6GxBHN4
Old 06-23-2013, 12:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

[quote=RodKnock;1249915]Tuto, there may be others, but "A Snake", "Cobra #3170" and "Nedsel" are all owners of original 1960's era Shelby Cobras and have commented on this thread.

Duly noted, Mr. RodKnock! That's why I wrote to the best of my knowledge. It's hard to offers one's opinion when you don't know anybody behind the screen. It gives me pleasure and it is really cool to know that owners of original cars are here in this thread...whoop, whoop

I'm boarding my plane now. Can't wait to see the development of this thread later on tonight !

Tuto
Old 06-23-2013, 12:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Viking Blue "64" 289 FIA comp car by Superformance #0002, Keith Craft - 331 (460HP), Jim Inglese - 48IDA Weber carbs, BW T10 4spd.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
This site, and it's members are not here to help sell Shelby's, what in the world ever gave you the impression it was? We are here because we love the Cobra (and Shelby's as a whole). We are as unbiased as possible when not put in to a situation where there are no real winners, and we all lose by bickering about petty things (such as the hair splitting of this thread). Feel free to read my sig line, not sure about you, but I live it every day.

Bill S.

Of course, most of us are not here to help to sell anything. But since we love the Cobra, I suggest we refrain from comments that downplay the value of owning a Shelby Cobra.

Truce-

Last edited by LightNFast; 06-23-2013 at 12:53 PM..
Old 06-23-2013, 12:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX2321
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedsel View Post
Actually, one of this group no longer owns any Shelby Cobras. But he does have a genuine, original AC Cobra, and as this thread evolves, he is increasingly happy about that fact.
I like your thinking, and it's a fun car to drive!

When I'm asked what kind of car is that, 99% of the time, I answer with it's an AC Cobra I just haven't found the word Shelby or the CS logo anywhere on the car?
Old 06-23-2013, 12:42 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Snake View Post
When I'm asked what kind of car is that, 99% of the time, I answer with it's an AC Cobra I just haven't found the word Shelby or the CS logo anywhere on the car?
The newer replicas from Shelby have a plate on the dash, to correct that glaring omission.

Old 06-23-2013, 03:50 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Need to share something...

Early on (still on the first page), Ron and I were trying to decide whether to let this thread go forward. Ron had his doubts, as did I, because of all of the earlier discussions on this subject.

We finally settled on as good a reason as anything else to let it go forward...there was nuthin else going on.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:59 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-289 FIA, 65 Sunbeam Tiger, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     
Arrow

Quote:
Of course, most of us are not here to help to sell anything. But since we love the Cobra, I suggest we refrain from comments that downplay the value of owning a Shelby Cobra.

Truce-

No need for a truce as there was never really a fight going on. Anyone that reads this thread, or the 20+ just like it that have popped up from time to time will never think that it will devalue owning a Shelby, real, replicva, or continuation series alike. If they do, perhaps it is that particular reader that needs to have his or her head examined

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamo View Post
Need to share something...

Early on (still on the first page), Ron and I were trying to decide whether to let this thread go forward. Ron had his doubts, as did I, because of all of the earlier discussions on this subject.

We finally settled on as good a reason as anything else to let it go forward...there was nuthin else going on.
I figured as much, especially after all the years everyone here has had to put up with the same banter, back and forth, over and over

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 06-23-2013, 04:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

That's funny. TV stations make news out of a duck in water. Why not

My answers were always serious and tried to educate the observer. One drunk did t get it and I told him it was a specially built vw beetle
Old 06-23-2013, 04:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerworks View Post
The newer replicas from Shelby have a plate on the dash, to correct that glaring omission.

Please search for my photos of CSX 2052 (Otto werlins 260). And Carroll's own 289 car. Both had badges on the dash. Carroll's had an automatic too
Closed Thread