Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2013, 01:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX6363
Not Ranked     
Default Looking for some ideas for the garage

Okay CC members, I need your help. I started building my 24x30 garage back in April and before the first shovel of dirt was dug, I’ve struggled with the idea of how I was going to finish the interior. The sheetrock is finished and the garage door will go in next week and I’m still indecisive on how I’m going to design the interior.

I’ve spent a great deal of time on the Garage Journal site and didn’t come away with any ideas so now I’m asking for your thoughts and ideas. Bottom line…..I want to with some sort of Cobra, Ford, and/or Shelby motorsport theme. As far as colors, I’m leaning towards painting the walls an off-white down to the chair railing and light blue (guardsman, lemans, etc.) below, with a white stripe around the middle. I'm not a graphics guru but the pic below gives you an idea of what I'm describing.

A 4-post lift will be on the left side so there are no plans to install cabinets or hang anything that could hit a car. On the right wall, a workbench will run from the far corner to the side door as well as cabinets.
With the exception of the TV, the back wall will be bare as well as the left wall so I could hang memorabilia, photos, or even a mural.

So CC, let’s hear your suggestions and a few pics of your layout so I’ll have some ideas to “borrow”!
Old 09-07-2013, 02:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR354/FMS392
Not Ranked     

Have you tried going to Google Images and then typing in some key words into the search engine. Lots of images to go through using google image.
Old 09-07-2013, 02:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

Mike,
I've been struggling with the same questions as I've worked on my oversize garage. I looked at tons of photos of other garages and didn't see any that looked just right for me. They seemed to fall into seven categories:
  1. Multimillionaires with such fabulous cars the garage was deliberately kept understated.
  2. Regular garages with one cool car and some inexpansive, haphazard decorations.
  3. Two-tone garages with a darker color from the waist down and near white above.
  4. Garages with expensive floor coverings (e.g., black and white squares).
  5. Garages that look like they will soon be on the show "Pickers" because of all the old signs, tools, etc.
  6. Garages that replicate the look of the Pickers garage but have all new, replica signs, clocks and gas pumps.
  7. Garages that are more about entertaining friends than working on cars.

I am a pragmatist who is much more interested in function, cost and ease of use than flash and style. So my approach has been mostly to eliminate those things I don't like and go with what was left. I went with white walls and ceiling to make it easier to see. I added red and gray stripes wrapping around the room just below the ceiling for a splash of color that matches my cars. I plan to hang some large Hoosier racing tires as a reminder of my track days. In addition to my Cobra I have an old Corvette, so I found an old photo of a Corvette and Cobra racing. I plan to have the photo made into a mural size print that will decorate one wall. I expect the rest of the decorations to go up slowly as I only want stuff that has some special meaning to me. ... I'll post some photos as it nears completion. I'd love to see more of yours as you progress.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor

Last edited by Tommy; 09-08-2013 at 05:01 AM.. Reason: Typo
Old 09-07-2013, 02:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Save painting the walls all fancy. Install full length cabinets everywhere you can You can never have enough cabinet space. Floor to ceiling if you can. Leave some counter space for working. Pre plumbed air and electric is a really nice thing too.
Old 09-07-2013, 03:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #773, 482 stroker, cross ram stack injection
Not Ranked     

Here is a list of items I included in my shop spec.

Full height cabinets to store all tools.
Undercabinet lighting above work bench.
Car lift
TV and audio system
heat & cool HVAC
Compressed air, 120v and 240v in the walls
Built-in vacuum system
Ceiling recessed LED lighting
walls painted to celery green, white ceiling
deep sink
security system
Old 09-07-2013, 03:25 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     
Default OK, Here's what I want...

The one thing I would like to have in my garage would be for the trouble lights to be on those little tracks up on the ceiling so you can pull them down, and the cord comes out, and you can pull them down to the end of the garage, and it "rolls" down the track that's on the ceiling. And then when you're done, you just tug on it once and the cord retracts and the trouble light is 'hanging" safely over your head, out of the way. That's not a great description, but you probably can tell what I'm talking about. I'd like the power outlets that way, too. You know, hanging over your head, within easy reach, instead of over on the wall. I hate stumbling over cords on the floor in the garage.
Old 09-07-2013, 03:34 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Oh, and compressed air that I can get by flipping a switch to fire up the compressor and the hoses come down from the ceiling as well.
Old 09-07-2013, 04:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #684, 482FE, Mike Mccluskey build
Send a message via Skype™ to fordracing65
Not Ranked     

Your garage is going to end up nicer than my house...
Old 09-07-2013, 04:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427, 427/487 side-oiler
Not Ranked     

I prefer simple and clean. My walls are sheetrock, painted off white. Lots of high efficiency fluorescent lighting. It shows all paint defects. Ample power. Floors finished in Griot's tan epoxy, which is off white. No quartz in the floor finish - makes it difficult to clean. I have a Craftsman steel workbench, a built in workbench that came with the house and was built in the 30's, and an old model maker's bench from the 1800's that my dad gave me. I store my tools in a rolling craftsman cabinet and on shelves/in closets. I also installed outlets on the ceiling so I have pull down work lights and extensions. I was going to use air rails but I decided I don't need them. I just have a medium sized compressor with good straight hose I loop around the handle. As far as shelving goes, I have several Metro shelves in a separate storage room and one in the garage, all anchored to the walls (I live in CA but it's a good idea anyway.
Old 09-07-2013, 05:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
The one thing I would like to have in my garage would be for the trouble lights to be on those little tracks up on the ceiling so you can pull them down, and the cord comes out, and you can pull them down to the end of the garage, and it "rolls" down the track that's on the ceiling. And then when you're done, you just tug on it once and the cord retracts and the trouble light is 'hanging" safely over your head, out of the way. That's not a great description, but you probably can tell what I'm talking about. I'd like the power outlets that way, too. You know, hanging over your head, within easy reach, instead of over on the wall. I hate stumbling over cords on the floor in the garage.
Patrick - I have a couple of these coiling lights hanging in my garage. Plugged them into the electrical receptacle up there in the ceiling for the garage door opener and hung them from some eye bolts screwed through the sheetrock into the rafters. They are a relatively easy garage accessory.

GT350Mike - you mentioned the garage door is going in next week. Think about getting a high R value urethane insulation package on it. Mine included a metal liner over the insulation - basically a sandwhich panel. Those doors cover a large area and depending on what sun it receives in summer and how cold of temps you have in the winter, it can significantly help keep the temperature in there more comfortable.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Separate electrical box with some big amp breakers

Quality lighting

Cabinets and more cabinets.

Quality floor covering

Beer Fridge

TV/AV

Heated / Dehumidifier / Fans

Space!! Bigger is better. I am adding on again.

Old 09-07-2013, 08:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mark, I’ve searched images thought the net but never found something I’d want to use.
Tommy, it seems that you and I are on the same wave length. Don’t care for the millionaires garage and I’ll pass on the impromptu decorations. I’ve seen several garages that have stuff all around and most of them can actually tell a story behind each item but its not what I want for this garage. Speaking of murals, I found a few on garagescenes.com and fordimages.com:
Fordimages.com - Shelby Roadsters : Posters and Framed Art Prints Available
GarageScenes.com
GarageScenes.com
Looking forward to seeing your pics.

Rick, I really need the workbench space but I will use cabinets in the attached garage.

LodiWino, I installed LED lights under the kitchen cabinets and like them so much, I will eventually install LEDs under the cabinets. I have plenty of receptacles along the wall to tap into for power. I didn’t mention this earlier, but kitchen sink will be dual purpose; one side will be used as a parts washer and the other side for water.

Patrick, I never thought of using a track as a trolley for lighting, but we’ve installed a receptacle in the ceiling just in case the garage door opener was mounted in the center of the ceiling and also to have a pull down light (or electrical cord). I had planned on placing an electrical outlet in the center of the garage floor, but would have been a PITA to install. As far as an air compressor, I’ve run 220v into the closet on the other side of the wall flanking the stairs. I wanted to run an airline behind the wall, but didn’t take care of it before the sheet rock was installed. Eventually I’ll run an airline under the steps and down the left wall with the outlet near the garage door so air will be available inside or outside.
Old 09-07-2013, 08:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Pete, before I went to Afghanistan I had a decent three car garage but my wife down-sized before I got home so the detached garage was part of the “deal”. She’s been pretty good about the whole deal so I do hope it turns out nicer than your house!

Lippy, one of our fellow CC members, Dwight, talked me into installing 5 or 6 T-5 lights in the garage so I hope the space station can see my garage when the lights are on. Never have considered Griots floor paint but will look into it. Can you elaborate more about the quartz finish and the Metro shelves?

Dan, the garage 18x8 door is R-12 with a metal liner. I’ve been in garages during the winter w/out any insulation and almost froze to death……..no repeats!

MJJ, that is a hell of a beer fridge…..a double wide??? Also like the cabinets and the pair of Cobras! I have a split HVAC unit and have run the electrical for it, but it won’t be installed until the spring. BTW, I already have a fridge but it’s about ¼ the size of yours.

Changing gears, the initial plan was to make the upstairs a storage area but realized the potential was too much to pass up so it has evolved into a tv/media room. More on that later.
View from stairs to front (TV will go into left corner in front of access panel)

View from front to stairs

Last edited by GT350Mike; 09-07-2013 at 09:14 PM..
Old 09-08-2013, 04:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

For me the agony was doing the garage mostly alone had help only with setting the trusses on a 24x50,roofing it alone was a bear.
Once the garage was closed in outfitting it was a do it as you go,everything fell into place.Mine is a working garage not a place to watch TV or with finished walls or ceilings for that matter.Do have an incredible sound system with powered sub.
Good Luck and have fun.
Old 09-08-2013, 05:31 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

Mike you need to go see Mike Green's shop. I have pics but can not find them.

His shop is clean, well decorated in car stuff but not over done like mine. Mine looks like pickers from WalMart.

Dwight
Old 09-08-2013, 09:19 AM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

Everything folks have already mentioned. Stressing cabinet space, lots of electrical outlets, air everywhere etc.

One more cool thing that I'm looking at since like Patrick, I hate tripping over light cords. See link. Very cool!

Automotive Products
Old 09-08-2013, 09:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT350Mike View Post
Lippy, one of our fellow CC members, Dwight, talked me into installing 5 or 6 T-5 lights in the garage so I hope the space station can see my garage when the lights are on. Never have considered Griots floor paint but will look into it. Can you elaborate more about the quartz finish and the Metro shelves?
Go to Car Care Products, Detailing Supplies, Auto Accessories - Griot's Garage 800-345-5789 and it's called industrial non lifting floor paint. It comes in a few colors but I like their lightest tan. Of course, prep is key and you need to clean and etch the concrete. They offer an option of quartz non slip aggregate. I had this in my last house because it made the surface safer when wet and my family went through the garage often. But it also makes the floor harder to clean. I didn't use the quartz on my house and it is cleaner and smoother, but slippery when wet.

Metro shelving is the standard you see in restaurants, etc. It comes in chrome, black, and other colors, and is US made. There are Asian made cheap knock offs from Home Depot and others, but the real metro is nicer. Metro: Solutions that Simplify Everyday Life - Mobile Edition
Old 09-08-2013, 01:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1968 GT350, FFR Daytona Coupe
Not Ranked     
Default Air and Electrical

You ll want air connections for tools and a fitting for your lift. Most lifts release the safeties with air.
Also 220 to power the lift.
Lots of 110v outlets to power lights, tools ect.

Good Luck.
The Nut
Old 09-08-2013, 01:54 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

My wife would vote for plumbing, with a big "slop sink" and even a shower. Hell, she would like me to even put a toilet out there!

Depending on what level of work you plan to do, make room and power for welders, tanks etc. Also maybe a solvent parts cleaning cabinet.

Lots of ventilation too, besides heat and a/c. I put in a big electric fan (like an attic gable fan) in the ceiling area that exhausts to outside to extract fumes and exhaust. I bypassed the t-stat wiring and put it on a 60 min wall timer. When fumes are building up, I just put it on for 30 min and clears everything up real well.
Old 09-08-2013, 02:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernica View Post
My wife would vote for plumbing, with a big "slop sink" and even a shower. Hell, she would like me to even put a toilet out there!:LOL
If you did that, you might never leave.