29 30          

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2003, 06:54 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I think it looks great! Not exactly my cup of tea, but we all want something different. Wire wheels are nice, but not a "strong" enough statement for my taste (and to much maintanence).

FIA289? Much better, more "manly" as Turk might say. But maybe there pushing to close to the looks of a 427, and then you have to ask yourself, "Why not a 427 body style instead?"

Well one BIG reason is I like small blocks, so the FIA car would look "manly" enough for me AND be "correct" with a small block!

Now if we could just move the gas cap over to the fender instead of behind the rear bulkhead,,,,,,,,,,,but if you start doing things like that you wind up with a 427 body style body "look"!

What's a guy to do? Personal choice, it's all good!

Ernie
Old 06-15-2003, 07:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ernie:

I've seen two of the new slab sides, one by Lee Benson and one by Bill Andrews. The attention to detail is phenomenal, notably the splined shafts and wire wheels. As far as maintenance, a few extra minutes are definitely worth it. The chrome wires seems to hold up and respond nicely to the commercial wheel cleaners available at Pep Boys, AutoZone, etc.
Seeing the cars is like stepping into a time machine.
The Ace and Bristol and later the early Cobra slab side were certainly MGAs on steroids. The 260s were ok with splined shafts and wires. Tuned 289s outgrew them. Perhaps Cal or Ron or one of our other historians could enlighten us as to when they stopped using wire wheels.
Old 06-15-2003, 10:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4039 427 FE 1966- SOLD
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by Turk

I don't like them for a reason. They look too much like an MGA.

Now, what is weird is ...I like MGA's.
They seem to lack that macho menacing stance that I have accepted as, a Cobra -Must -Have.

I find them a little too refined, and "feminine" if you will.

Just an expression of a personal preference.

Those who need to explore their feminine sides, should be my guest.

What do you put in those things to make them run well?

CHANELL No.5?

TURK
Interesting observations...
You know, to be honest, I think all Cobra's (even moreso 427's) have a rather feminine body. Curves and bulges and very attractive lines and proportions from any vantage point. I think that is partly why the are so popular. They are frankly pretty cars. The other part, of course, would be the big masculine engine, side pipes and deafening sound they produce with a real BB. A marriage of the best of both worlds. I guess we all see what we want to see. When I think masculine I think Hummer H2, Ford F350, Harley's and in cars Panoz, Coupe DeVille and Mercedes Benz. I put cute little Cobra's more in the Jaguar impression category. Heresy, I know, but I think they are more "pretty" than "menacing" (until you drag race one!)

Last edited by CSX 4039; 06-16-2003 at 08:52 AM..
Old 06-16-2003, 01:16 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Well this IS interesting, what we "see" in a Cobra and how that varies for each of us!

Digging deeper into my pschy I "see" in the wire wheels the hell I went through with a couple of MG's and THEIR various wire wheel problems over the years. They look really nice on that CSX8000 car, but I man I don't EVER want to deal with wire wheels again! Ha ha!

Ernie