Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2003, 09:56 AM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 roadster with 351C-4B
Not Ranked     

Chaplin: The popcorn is popping.

StephenC: Who said anything about bad behavior! I also agree with you to a point. What is concidered un-safe can be cirsumstantial and subject to personal belief and ethical structure and therefore open to personal interpretation. In this day and age where when we are switching from personal freedom and conscious to more of a socialy dictated one we must gaurd personal freedom including those with may not be concidered socially acceptable. Those engage in such behavior have to understand that there may very well be a social price for their behavior...... but it is still their choice.

There is a, and has been, a frightening trend to legislate our morality. If an action causes no harm to another individual, then it should not be legislated. Wow, where the heck did all that come from!

Rick

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 08-20-2003, 09:57 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I want to see someone take a 56-57 Ford T-Bird and jack it up in the rear, big tires, mag wheels, you know all "hacked up" ala 60's style.

Seems like those cars are ALWAYS "original" or "restored" condition.

Of course I appreciate a well done to original specs Cobra. BUT I also find it refreshing when someone does something really radical and totally "non-spec" with a Cobra. Monster blower sticking out of the hood, monster HOOD, tiny V-6 that kicks butt. Or someting really off the wall,,,,,,an automatic transmission, LOL.

Ernie
Old 08-20-2003, 10:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1696, 427 Shelby aluminum 462 stroker from Southern Automotive. 1967 GTO and a '98 'Vette. Life is good.
Not Ranked     
Default WOW!

Rick:

I agree...............at least I think I do. I'm sooooo confused.

Are you running for Governor in CA?

BTW: Personal Feedom = Personal Responsibility (far too often those who want the former refuse to acknowledge the latter)

"There ain't nuthin' fun about havin' money in the bank."

"If I were smarter, I'd probably know a lot more."

Last edited by StephenC; 08-20-2003 at 10:12 AM..
Old 08-20-2003, 10:05 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-289 FIA, 65 Sunbeam Tiger, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     
Cool

Ernie,

You need to visit NJ more often...There are quite a few "hotrodded" 55-57 T-Birds running around......One in particular, is painted yellow with a white and yellow interior.....Currently running a fuel injected 5.0 and AOD transmission........

Bill S.

Quote:
Originally posted by Excaliber

I want to see someone take a 56-57 Ford T-Bird and jack it up in the rear, big tires, mag wheels, you know all "hacked up" ala 60's style.

Seems like those cars are ALWAYS "original" or "restored" condition.

Of course I appreciate a well done to original specs Cobra. BUT I also find it refreshing when someone does something really radical and totally "non-spec" with a Cobra. Monster blower sticking out of the hood, monster HOOD, tiny V-6 that kicks butt. Or someting really off the wall,,,,,,an automatic transmission, LOL.

Ernie

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 08-20-2003, 10:09 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star, 351-c
Not Ranked     

Jamo, Ive been looking for that same snake below my belly!
Old 08-20-2003, 10:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster/428CJ "The Stretch Limo of Cobras"
Send a message via AIM to Robert T. Faust
Not Ranked     

Great Posting. I do see this once in a while (kinda alot lately). Not really by the guys who have been around them along time or the older hot rod/car guys/garage builders though. The other day at a local evening car gathering, a "more real/closer to a real one kit car" owner was laughing at a home made/owner built car. Sad part about this was the person laughing never wrenched a day on his car. The car he was laughing at was built ground up by it's owner. Didn't have the right gauges, BBF, or wheels, but it was what the person could afford and did himself. Ten or more years ago these home builts looked FANTASTIC and were appreciated, giving us the "gotta build one of those" attitudes.
This type of "my car is more real than your car" can be seen at many events. I've really haven't seen this type of snobbery at "street rod/hot rod" shows, where guys bring out their garage built rods and cars and can talk with others, all on the same level.
Bob
Old 08-20-2003, 10:31 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     
Talking Oh Yeah?

There are some kinky dudes on this forum.

And another thing, my shifter knob is better then yours, so there! I'm taking my bat and my ball and... going home... or Texas... which ever comes first.

Maybe Michigan.

Old 08-20-2003, 10:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hawk 289FiA with Le Mans hardtop. AC CS(X)2131,289 (my father owned it from `67-`73)
Not Ranked     
Default Re: "Purists to a Point"

Quote:
Originally posted by StephenC

....What was really interesting is the feedback from other forum members. They pointed out that this "purist to a point" was driving a yellow Cobra, hardly an original color. As it turns out, he was far less "pure" than originally thought.
ERm....Wasn`t THE first Cobra a stunning Pearlescent Yellow?(for a while, at least!)

I know a couple of Real Original Cobra owners, one of whom can`t even bring himself to say the word 'replica', let alone acknowledge their right to exist!!! Another,(and I`ll name this one...Nigel Hulme) has been involved closely with the replication of (as was) his car 39PH(CS2131) and the development of the Superformance Coupe.

Then there is a replica owner who`s car is better engineered than the originals, so he mentions that at every opportunity.

We all know of Kits from the past that were 'not as good as....' but I think that everyones game has been raised now to the point where people have deeper to look to find the justifications for their snobbery.

At the end of the day, you`re better off making your car the way YOU want it....

and like my Mother used to say...." If you can`t say something nice....shut the F cup!"

"If I plagiarize, it's only because I like someone else's idea better than mine and I want credit for it."- Anna Sato-Williams.

"If I plagiarize, it's only because I like someone else's idea better than mine and I want credit for it."- nikbj68
Old 08-20-2003, 10:38 AM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Dorman for Gov!

Right on the nosey there StephanC about with freedom comes responsibilty!

Any one care to spot me $3500 for my candidacy? My platform, hmmm....... more than 500 of those special titles every year? How about an unlimited number of special vehicle titles in CA? I am pretty damn liberal (moderate?) for a card carrying Republican. At the same time can be pretty damn concervative (my own contradiction). I would decriminalize drugs, prostitution, smoking in privately owned but publically accessed establishments, put the pledge of allegiance back in schools, stop frivolous laysuits (you loose, you pay), I wouldn't give illegal immigrants social services and ID cards (I would deport them), allow law abiding citizens to carry fire arms, stop sending people to jail for life just because they got busted three times stealing some twinkies, support choice and the death penalty (interesting that I put those two together, isn't it?), put prisoners to work, put welfare recipients to work improving the community in which they live (no free ride on my watch baby!), reward corporate conscious, yadda, yadda, yadda.

How about something actually on topic from me? I think those who look down their noses at other Cobra are individuals that are that way in other areas of their lives. It is just in their nature. I would suspect that Ego, if not ignorance as well, or even a inferiority issue to be at the root of the behavior. Maybe they have a small wanky or they where beat up to much in school or they think their $hit doesn't stink, but whatever the cause, it is their problem. I am not without sin myself. I have seen a couple of cobra that I thought to myself 'I would not be caught dead in that!' But I had the good taste to keep my thoughts to myself. In general I just enjoy those good people who share with honesty and enthusiasm and torment those without! Got to have some fun!

Rick

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 08-20-2003, 10:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: EM cobra, 450 inch sbc running a best ET of 9.14..so far..ALL MOTOR...approx 800 horse.............ERA with 482 FE..All Aluminum Engine
Send a message via Yahoo to Hotfingrs
Not Ranked     

Jamo one word to you.........mirror
Old 08-20-2003, 10:45 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 389 427s/o
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by Jamo

Don't know about the damn cars...but Hotfingers and I look down alot trying to catch a glimpse of the snakes below our bellies.
Jamo,

Image out, image out, image out, image out!

If you get that mirror as recommended above you will be thinking the same thing!!

Old 08-20-2003, 10:49 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison, 347 Tri-power Stroker
Not Ranked     

Bill,

I wasn't looking down at your car, just the fact that you are from New Jersey
Old 08-20-2003, 10:54 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Smile

You are always going to have the extremes in anything, but the few people that I have ever seen actually look down at another Cobra REPLICA also do so at everything else. My house cost more than yours, my pool is larger than his, etc. One guy, ( in an very nice manner ) spent almost 30 minutes once explaing to me why my Cobra isn't correct. After I explained to him that when I built it, I intentionally changed things because in no way did I want it to be exactly like an original. We had a Diet Pepsi together and finally concluded that I do have one thing that is original. The wheels are round.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 08-20-2003, 11:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The world is what it is. In order to cope with it people make distinctions. They create standards. The standards are abstractions of reality, not reality itself. The "standard" often tells us more about the person using and/or creating it than the aleged purpose of its use.

In a person's efffort to create meaning in their life, they often make distinctions and create standards to differentiate themselves from others. By adhering to the standard, they can feel superior than those that do not meet their standard. The weaker an individual internally, the more external "walls" that they need to validate their being.

I do not mind distinctions and differentiations, but I am bothered by anyone that wants to impose their values upon me and treat me as a "lesser" being. May we recognize our strengths and weaknesses and allow other to have theirs. May be accept and not accuse. May we recognize the diversity and digitnity in every other human being ang their values and perceptions.

If someone whats to look down upon me because I do not meet their standard, it is their problem, not mine. It is only my problem when their actions do not allow me to be me.
Old 08-20-2003, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Mirrors?

"Warning: Things appear larger..."

As to the actual subject of this thread, we can psychoanalyze it to death. I really just comes down to a simple fact:

Some people are a$$holes.
Old 08-20-2003, 11:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well,
I guess that we know where you stand Jamo!!!
Old 08-20-2003, 11:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1696, 427 Shelby aluminum 462 stroker from Southern Automotive. 1967 GTO and a '98 'Vette. Life is good.
Not Ranked     
Default WOW Again!

(As my son would say)

This is WAY kool!

Never, ever did I think joining CC would be such an educational and philosophical experience.

Carroll:

I will be joining the GLCC and we shall meet. When we do, remind me of this post and I'll buy you whatever it is you like to drink.

This is WAY kool!

"There ain't nuthin' fun about havin' money in the bank."

"If I were smarter, I'd probably know a lot more."
Old 08-20-2003, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Assolutely.

Never have cared much for folks that try to impose their standards or values on others, as you eloquently state. Whether it is religion, social status, race, or a freeking car.

Has not a damn thing to do with DNA, or some socio-politico-economic theory about the evolution of modern civilization or some such other babble that we can sit around the bottom of the fallen tower talking about.

It's just some people are a$$holes.
Old 08-20-2003, 11:33 AM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Running mates? We are on our way to the office!

Carroll Deweese for my lieutenant governor. Jamo for press secretary. StephenC for my advisor, a 'sounding board'. Ron for my negotiator. Any one else?
Rick

GLCC To soon to have one of our own

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 08-20-2003, 11:35 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Interesting subject to say the least,here's my take on it;

I know of a very snobbish Cobra replica owner,real easy to find at cruise nights,NOBODY around his car,although he has a very nice car,do not even know what manufacter it is,can't get close enough to see,could care less about snobs.....

I think it has something to do with the so-called "pecking order" though....

I like them all,even the cheby powered ones and the VW powered ones although I have not seen one of these yet,but heard there are few around,to each his own.... The way I see it,if you have a real/original/replica,you already have something about 99.9% of the worlds population doesn't have and something a ton of people wish they had.....

BTW; I think I've got the best shift knob in the business,came out of one of Bill Elliot's #94 McDonalds cars back when he had his own team.... no kidding.....

My motto is build or buy what you like and then enjoy it the way you like,be it racer/cruiser/waxer.....and if you can't say something nice about someone or his car,then just keep it to yourself......also keeps me out of trouble.....

David