15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30          

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2003, 08:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1696, 427 Shelby aluminum 462 stroker from Southern Automotive. 1967 GTO and a '98 'Vette. Life is good.
Not Ranked     
Exclamation Give Me a Break II or the Parable of Tom R:

OK, here I go again only because some people just don’t get it.

To all the wrench turners and gearheads (the guys who’s talent and cars I have always admired):

“I COULDN’T BUILD A COBRA REPLICA IF I WANTED TO!”

Now, what part of that don’t you understand?

Still here? Bear with me.

Flashback….the tough industrial town of Flint, Michigan (home of the Corvette). It’s the early 60’s and my friends and I ride 10 and 15 speed racing bikes. Tom R can fix ANYTHING. He can take a Swiss watch apart and put it back together and it will run better than when it was new.

I, on the other hand, could not sharpen a pencil without breaking the lead. I take apart the rear hub on my bicycle, clean everything, and put it back together…only to find I have four “extra” parts and no idea where they go. Call Tom R, he comes over and in 20 minutes, everything is back together, the world is good. Tom R can’t understand why I find this so difficult; it’s, “a piece of cake.” Yeah, right.

Return to present day…those blessed with natural mechanical ability still don’t understand why everyone can’t do what they find so easy to do. If Tom R owns a Cobra today, you can bet the farm he built it. And, he can still not understand why EVERYONE doesn’t build a Cobra. Maybe, it’s a different kind of snobbery (don’t mean to offend here, just can’t think of a better word). Many of the wrenchers still think they are the only ones that have “sweat equity” in their cars. Well, let me clue you in, guys.

There are those that if they are to own a Cobra replica, they have to build it as they may not be able to afford to have someone else do it. Nothing wrong with that. Then, there are folks like me. If I was ever gonna’ own a Cobra replica, I knew from the outset someone else would have to build and maintain it for me. I have NO other option. That meant I had to go EARN the money to pay for it. In my case, that was 40 to 60 hours, Monday through Friday and another 20 to 30 hours on the weekends. I did this for the last 14 years until I retired in February 2002.

Why is this type of “sweat equity” any different than torquing a wrench in some garage somewhere? I fail to see why those who have to EARN the money to buy a Cobra replica have less “heart” than those who are able to build one. We are all using what talents and knowledge we have to get the car of our dreams. Think about this; I may have to work harder and longer to EARN the money to have a good mechanic (now $70 an hour and rising) fix a problem than you would if you fixed it in your garage. I would love to work on my cars, but I love my cars too much to subject them to the torture of my mechanical ineptitude.

For all of you that may look down on us “buyers”, read Carroll DeWeese’s posts on this thread. Then, you may have a better understanding of why you create this distinction.

I’m really sorry, but I’ve needed to say this for years. I feel a little better now.

I will go take my medicine now and make an appointment with Obi-wan DeWeese.

Best Wishes to All (even the wrenchers)!

"There ain't nuthin' fun about havin' money in the bank."

"If I were smarter, I'd probably know a lot more."
Old 08-22-2003, 08:46 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

StephenC,
Those that build it themselves are in a special position of "respect" in my book. I didn't build mine, I bought one. I REALLY admire those guys that DO build, modify, get in there and mix it up with their car. That sweat equity says SO much to me I don't see the "flaws" (if any) in their car like I would on a "factory built". I sure do admire a finely built factory car, but my "standard" of build quality also goes up considerably, if something on that "factory car" ain't right, it will bother me!

My hat's off to you guys that can build, good or great or out of this world cars. I'll buy mine, order a few changes, maybe tinker with it some myself, and be happy! But I'll always feel like second place to that Hot Roder down the road actually BUILDING his, even if it's "less" perfect than my "factory ride". And thats OK with me.

Just my take on it........

Ernie
Old 08-22-2003, 09:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

StephanC, I built my own from the ground up and I can tell you I would never look down on someone who "could" just buy one, I just can't, I wish I could just write the check for that Kirkham I would love to have it is just not in the cards for me, I am a operator in an oil refinery, were talking a years wages here, I had no choice but to build as I went along, when I bought my first house we wanted a pool, but couldn't get the loan so I built it myself, took me 6 months of working like a dog, digging, tieing the steel, and such but it was all mine when done, no brighter than anyone else, that was the only way I was going swimming, and have done 3 others since then !!! My wifes sister and her husband own a Garbage company, she is constantly asking my wife if I could fix this or that because he can't, he could but it would take away from fishing and hunting for him so it is easier to write someone else a check!! Economics forces me to try and be resourceful, I wish I could just write those checks!!!

If you can't afford what you want to buy, pick up a book and learn how to make it.
Old 08-22-2003, 09:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1696, 427 Shelby aluminum 462 stroker from Southern Automotive. 1967 GTO and a '98 'Vette. Life is good.
Not Ranked     
Default Thanks for the Reply, But...

Ernie:

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. I worked too hard and too long (sometimes in the wee hours of the morning in subzero weather) to be able to buy a SPF only to feel somehow inferior to the guy who built his. I admire the talent, I wish I could do it, but feel like a second class Cobra owner? Nope. Envious? No way (well, maybe a little on the days I get the mechanic's bill).

When I was recruiting for the state police, I used to tell young applicants that I greatly appreciated the fact they admired troopers so much that they wanted to become one. This also applies here. I admired you guys (buyers and wrenchers alike) and your cars so much, I wanted to be one of you. Not better than you, not less than you, but one of you.

My point is that I respect and love all of the cars out there. We, as owners, have so much more in common than there are differences. Each car is a celebration of something we all hold in very high esteem and I am sooooooooooo happy I now have one.

"There ain't nuthin' fun about havin' money in the bank."

"If I were smarter, I'd probably know a lot more."

Last edited by StephenC; 08-22-2003 at 09:26 PM..
Old 08-22-2003, 09:29 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Flyin_phuckenfunny

I'm telling ya--the assolute funniest sumb!tch on any site, anywhere!
Old 08-22-2003, 09:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Still Dreaming
Not Ranked     

I've been around cars and garages all my life,as my Dad was an auto mechanic,and eventually had his own place.I started wrenching for real when I was 14 to earn money for my 1st car(a pristine 1961 Galaxie 500 2-door with 352).Earned money for college and Dental school doing the same,as well as working for the railroad in" maintainance of way".I built my first car,and enjoyed it,but at this point in life I'm looking forward to a roller that I will only have to finish.I'm glad I did the first one if for no other reason than I can appreciate the little subtle things that others have done to their cars beyond the basics.That really is the fun of this hobby-talking and sharing with each other.Hope I never lose that.
Old 08-22-2003, 10:35 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Cool

Agreed to disagree on this one.

My back ground "colors" the take for me. I was a Ford and Chrysler dealership mechanic for years. I was born with a wrench in my mouth. Cut my teeth on English cars. I could build one, lazy turkey that I am, I bought one instead, I took the easy road, I sold out man, I'm a major whimp, I don't deserve a Cobra,,,,,,,,now I'm all bummed.

But I'll be all better when I hear those side pipes roar to life! Yeah baby, I'm back just thinking about it!

Ernie
Old 08-22-2003, 10:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: What Cobra?
Send a message via Yahoo to Turk
Not Ranked     

Gordon,
I envy you while you seem to envy who were able to write a check for their toys.

I understand and appreciate where you are coming from.
Some of us are not as well off, and don't let what we now own fool you into thinking owning a car, a boat a yacht a motorcycle, steros, watches, furniture was as easy as just walking up to the bank and writing a check for all that.

The traffic was a killer. The air conditioning in the car couldn't keep up with the humidity. There were a lot of less significant cars on the road to weave through, while some of us went to our banks and had to wait , what? I would say 3-4 minutes before someone offered to help.

Yup those are the tough times we still remember as if it was 2 weeks and 4 days ago.

I remember once right in the middle of a dinner engagement the damn maid comes up and says we are out of "red"!

Can you even understand the humiliation in that.

No sir, things were not always what they seem. I too had to build my own pool. I built the partition in the garage.
The wife wanted a aviary, and there I was working my fingers to the bone writing a check. No more money left for the roof, we needed.
The old one started showing it's age. The sun had taken it's toll on the 2 year old tiles. I was up there day and night doing it myself.
Then the kids asked for a pet, I went and made that too with my own hands. I made them a real nice Persian, and an Alley Cat. We sold the Persion for a hefty sum to buy cat food for the cheap one we kept. the kids didn't care, they didn't know any better.

Yeah, those were the tough times but sure makes you appreciate what I don't have to do today...

TURK
Old 08-22-2003, 10:53 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Obviously a self-made a$$hole.
Old 08-22-2003, 11:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Turk

If you can't afford what you want to buy, pick up a book and learn how to make it.
Old 08-23-2003, 05:25 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-289 FIA, 65 Sunbeam Tiger, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Turk,

All too funny.......So, how does one go about making a cat from scratch these days

Damn all this cheap labor.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 08-23-2003, 08:20 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I think I saw Turk's homebuilt cat the other night. Not a bad job, but the da_n thing barked like a St. Bernard. Also tried to hump my cute neighbor's daughter's leg, and got away with it for awhile, which is much better than my attempts.

TT
Old 08-23-2003, 08:34 AM
heavy hauler
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley stroked 342
Not Ranked     

Turk
I'm real sorry you're having such a tough time, have you talked to social services maybe they can help you out.
Old 08-23-2003, 08:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4761, KCR Shelby Alloy 496,760hp
Send a message via AIM to misfit41
Not Ranked     

this is pretty funny,,,and I by no means think that everyone should only build what they drive,I just feel the guy who builds his dream car,only because he cant afford to buy has more heart in it,you have to want it bad to stick it out,on the other hand,not all ,but some guys have 50 or 100k to invest for a toy,,and maybe choose a cobra,,while others weight out the time and committment involved and maybe buy the spf,working hard hours to pay for it, sometimes I wish I had done that,I have all kinds of cool cars and choppers around,if only I had time to finish them.
As many of you know I sell used harleys for a living,I see the same thing,the guy who has dreamed all his life of owning a mediocre $11000 bike,and rides it 8000 miles pre year,grinning ear to ear,others write a 35k check for the custom chopper someone else built,ride it 200 miles a year but loves it because everyone thinks it's cool.
I just wish we could all embrace eachother as friends and screw what kind of car we have,it feels like the silly clicks in high school reading some of these post,but come to think of it,why cant we all just get along ? hehell,,,Tk

"this whole Adult thing just isnt working for me "
Old 08-23-2003, 08:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey Musfit, you want to buy a 2001 FXDWG2 with 2500 miles?

TURK
Old 08-23-2003, 08:41 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Tom

Ignore his spelling...he's really a nice guy.
Old 08-24-2003, 05:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via MSN to CowtownCobra
Not Ranked     

This building vs buying reminds me of a question I've had for a long time. Why does someone build/buy a cobra and then within say 6 months, and fewer than 500 miles, its for sale?

I'm building mine and I can't imagine parting with it. I want my grandkids to have it.

What gives?
Old 08-24-2003, 05:48 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
To old, to tired, to much frustration. If I were to ever get another car it would be a turnkey and I would not miss a bit of the thrill, Screaming, throwing things, quitting for a week at a time, and all the other joys that go into trying to make all of the this will fit right on stuff work. I now cringe and go into minor withdrawl whenever I have to change a tire.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 08-24-2003, 07:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dave,
Did you ask your grandkids if they want something YOU built?

TURK
Give them the cash intead.
Old 08-24-2003, 09:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via MSN to CowtownCobra
Not Ranked     

Turk,

Ya, unless they are as crazy as me they'll sell it first chance.

But I still see LOTS of Cobras for sale with only a few miles on them. Do they take it for a first spin and end up scaring the $hit outa themselves?