29 30          

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2003, 09:28 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I think they are many that were built with the idea of selling them at a profit, thus low or no miles. Now with SAI offering the CAV those days for the "small" guy doing a few cars maybe over!

Of course there others where they bought, drove, woke up the next morning and said, "What have I DONE?"

Ernie
Old 08-24-2003, 09:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

CowtownCobra,
You asked, “Why does someone build/buy a cobra and then within say 6 months, and fewer than 500 miles, its for sale?”

Many reasons can apply, but for some people the dream is better than the reality. Their desire to possess is greater than the possession itself. We who have Cobras know that they are almost totally impractical. There is no rational reason to own one. They are an in-you-face expression of independence and non-political correctness. They are not very safe. They are expensive to maintain and operate. They take an inordinate amount of time and attention. The reality of a Cobra can overwhelm someone that acts on impulse in getting one. They just do not fit everyone’s lifestyle.

The problem may happen most often with buyers, not builders. Some people apparently have more money than they know what to do with it. Finding that the Cobra does not meet their needs, they bail out and sell it. Sometimes builders sell soon after completion. They are either building the cars to sell or get their kicks in building, not owning. Sweat equity implies a certain degree of specific commitment to the sweat equity project. This is not to say that a person that buys a car has less commitment to it than a person that builds a car. Some buyers are much more committed to their cars than some builders. They have great psychological and personal commitment to their cars. The reality to them is as great or greater than the dream.

If a person spends years building a car and actually completes the project, they have dealt with the reality of building and achieving their dream. The odds favor their being committed to their car. They have dealt with the reality of building and found that the car has become part of their being. For a man, it is analogous of a woman giving birth. The resulting car is the baby. Because of the process, most women – but not all -- are very committed to their child. The very process of birthing reinforces commitment.

I did not build my car with my own hands. Others build it for me. It took me years for me to decide to commit. It was not an impulse decision. I am as committed to the car as if I built is myself. I see myself as the coordinator of great craftsmen to build a car that is better than any given person could do by themselves. I am committed. I do not to sell it in any foreseeable future. I changed my lifestyle to fit the car. I did not reject the car because it did not fit my lifestyle.

Some people try to own and possess a Cobra. To me, a Cobra is its own entity, its own being. To try and possess and control it is to lose it. Those that do not know how to relate to their Cobra find that it does not meet their needs. They bail out of the relationship and sell the car. They may have been the technical owners of the car, but they never really possessed it.

Part of the “snob” question has to do with some people’s inability to relate to their car, their possessions, and to others. As I indicated earlier, this inability is their problem. I hope that the Cobra community has room for all – even for those that do not have room for them.
Old 08-24-2003, 10:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Still Dreaming
Not Ranked     

I can sure relate to Ron Widener's experience.It seems like the car was built and rebuild at least a dozen times before completion(are they ever complete?)Many an all nighter,with work the next day,and untold new combinations of accompaning dialog.I know I can do it and do it well,but I am also a man of many hobbies.When you add up the costs,if someone else can do it better for less money,at this point in life it only makes sense to let them do it.Not a snob issue,just a logical one.
Old 08-24-2003, 11:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 SC, Southern Automotive 427W Stroker
Not Ranked     

Carroll, thanks for the poetic dissertation! My wife and daughter have often accused me of being a bit fanatical with regards to my Cobra interests. After I made them read your email, they backed off. I think the "birthing" thing got them (even if I don't have stretch marks). They would be less likely to make me put the car up for adoption than for sale.
Old 08-24-2003, 01:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via MSN to CowtownCobra
Not Ranked     

Carroll DeWeese,

Old 08-25-2003, 08:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4761, KCR Shelby Alloy 496,760hp
Send a message via AIM to misfit41
Not Ranked     

Turk,,I like the bikes,,keep in mind I resell,how much do you want for it ? still have the tan seat and stuff with it ?
thanks,Tim

"this whole Adult thing just isnt working for me "
Old 08-25-2003, 08:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

actually,I wish I could buy my stuff built,I mean i can figure out how to pay for it easier than finding time and motivation to work on it,but I just cant,EVERYTHING I see I am thinking ,I would do this,or i would have changed that,my car was driving when I bought it and I still took it apart.
I have some kind of complex,I HAVE to do it to like it,and if and when I get something perfect,I get bored with it,like I said,it's a sickness,,lol Help Me,,,tk

Old 08-25-2003, 08:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quik ps,,A couple guys said they wish they could build their own,my opnion is any one can do it,it isnt rocket science,it is just a matter of how much you wanna do it,like anything else.I have always wanted to play guitar,but I didnt want it badly enough to make it happen,so I buy cd's,I think we each have our own priorities,and obsessions.lol tk

Old 08-25-2003, 09:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1696, 427 Shelby aluminum 462 stroker from Southern Automotive. 1967 GTO and a '98 'Vette. Life is good.
Not Ranked     
Default Rocket Science - Maybe Not

TK:

I think you are probably right, it's not rocket science. But, when people (like me) who have little or no mechanical ability begin to "build" something, they lack what might be described as "the eye". By this I mean they cannot see things the way they should be. Mechanics seem have an natural intuition about how things work and how they are put together. Without that natural ability (or in some cases experience) trying to build something (almost anything) results in a whole lot of frustration. This is particularily true when things don't go together right ("Should I hit it with a hammer, ya' think?") or you did something incorrect five steps ago and you have to take three days work apart, go back and redo it all. Time and time again.

The bottom line is that it's not worth the frustration, anger, bruised male ego. Whatever, it's just not worth it. That's why there are so many uncompleted Cobra replicas out there.

Besides, I go back to what I said earlier in this post; even if I could build it, I wouldn't want to ride in it. This is especially true of something as powerful and dangerous as a 400+ hp Cobra replica. I'll photograph weddings (something I'm told I do well and I get paid well to do) and pay someone to build my car, the right way.

I'd be lucky if I could build a Cobra kit by Mr. Revell, much less a real one. I am the living embodiment of Mr. Murphy's Law when it come to things mechanical. On the other hand, you got problems with a computer, camera, or stereo? I can help.

"There ain't nuthin' fun about havin' money in the bank."

"If I were smarter, I'd probably know a lot more."

Last edited by StephenC; 08-25-2003 at 09:15 AM..
Old 08-25-2003, 09:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I agree with what your saying,I have done projects myself,decks,drywall etc,redid it 2 or 3 times,learning as I go,some things you just dont know to ask,you have to really screw up to know the question,then when I am finally done,and proud,I realize I could have hired it done cheaper,maybe even better,and not have all these left over tools I will never use again,plus could have been drinking a cool one while it was done.your point is well taken,Tk

Old 08-25-2003, 09:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1696, 427 Shelby aluminum 462 stroker from Southern Automotive. 1967 GTO and a '98 'Vette. Life is good.
Not Ranked     
Default Yeah but...........

TK:

Drywall, maybe. A deck? Well, probably, but at the cost of how many fingers? Misc projects like that I MIGHT try.

Building something mechanical (the key word here) that COULD carry me and another fool at 140 mph? Never. As I get older, I seem to value my life more. Maybe, it's the realization that we're not immortal. One of the things I learned as a state trooper (I am retired) is that I really do want to grow old, cruising into the sunset with the love of my life.

Oh Yeah!

Old 08-25-2003, 10:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast. 514 / 6 speed Richmond overdrive
Not Ranked     
Wink How and Why

Here's where I learned the hows and whys of living as a Cobra Snob
Attached Images

James Madison, father of the Constitution, said, "If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy." He also said, "No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare..."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.standdown.net/index.htm
Old 08-25-2003, 10:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: What Cobra?
Send a message via Yahoo to Turk
Not Ranked     

Misfit,
The bike finally sold last night on EBAY with "Buy it Now".
Good thing it did, otherwise I would be writing a bad check for the new one this Wednesday.

Yes it had all the original stuff, the tan ostrich seat and all.
It has gone bye bye.

TURK
Old 08-25-2003, 11:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I know what you mean Stephen,I grew up around race cars and motorcycles,so I guess I take it for granted,I may lack some of the tech knowledge the pros have, but I have always had the impression I can do anything as good as anybody as far as repair or making/building goes,so far I have proved that to be true,I have learned most of the time,the people we pay to do things arent more talented than us,sometimes not as much,it is just what they do,I get a kick out of knowing something about everything I guess,,makes for lots of research,and unfinished projects though,,hahah,,have a great day,,Tk

Old 08-25-2003, 11:25 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Some of the builds I have seen may in fact approach "rocket science", these guys are FABULOUS! I mean I'm a good mechanic and could build one, but then there are those guys who MUST be from another planet, or possibly "down under",,,,,,,,,,

Ernie
Old 08-25-2003, 11:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ex,
I have seen those builds too,,I think you just have to be obsessed,maybe a little crazy,,hahah ,way too much time on your hands,,hahah Tk

Old 08-25-2003, 11:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default I Flunked the Entrance Exam

Hey B in B!

I applied to that institute of higher education. They would not accept me, my test scores were too low.

Old 08-25-2003, 12:04 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

Aren't Continuation Cobra owners automatically Cobra snobs????

Old 08-25-2003, 12:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I am starting to think any one owns any cobra,maybe even a diecast is a cobra snob,,hahah
if you cant beat them,join them I guess,,tk

Old 08-25-2003, 12:09 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Original ERA 427sc, Powered by Gessford
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by REAL 1

Aren't Continuation Cobra owners automatically Cobra snobs????

Yes!

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."