Kirkham Motorsports

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2003, 06:59 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

An MSO would make it a nightmare to license in Hawaii, in fact, "technically" impossible.

Ernie
Old 08-22-2003, 07:17 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-289 FIA, 65 Sunbeam Tiger, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     
Cool

Take a look at this guys bidding history when you get a chance. Suspect to say the least........

Bill S.

Quote:
Originally posted by GeorgiaSnake

One bid

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 08-22-2003, 07:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham or the Evil Empire. Do kids NEED college?
Not Ranked     

hey guys $160,000 is a deal if you check the website he was asking $220,000.

How will I spend the $50,000 I just saved....maybe I'll buy some of the drugs he's on!

pk
Old 08-22-2003, 07:21 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-289 FIA, 65 Sunbeam Tiger, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Hey PK,

So, you in Joisey yet???? You have yet to see my "latest" Cobra.....Sure to give you and the Mrs's a ride if your in the neighborhood........................

Bill S.
http://www.bills2.us/cobra2.html

Old 08-22-2003, 07:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Once a car is given a VIN number ,it stays with that car/vehicle FOR LIFE. The Feds would be very interested in these things being issued NEW MSOs.How can these cats be issuing new MSOs when they did not build them . FoMoCo will be very interested too.
Old 08-22-2003, 07:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

signed a contract on our loft. Found a nice house in Basking Ridge now we just need the bank to ok our buyers so we can move forward on the house before it disappears.
pk

ps the wife is melting down as we speak.
Old 08-22-2003, 07:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: What Cobra?
Send a message via Yahoo to Turk
Not Ranked     

If you guys want to laugh at someone who is willing to pay that kind of money for a car most don't approve of, or find it equally amusing that someone has the nerve to ask for THAT much for a car that is obviously not worth it, shouldn't you first visit the thread about the "cobra snobs"?

Those living in glass houses.....

We try to extend a certain amount of respect for any kind of car. I think we should continue doing so.

I am sure there is someone out there who may feel as strongly about your FFR. We don't let them spew their venom in here, and I suggest the same courtesy extended to the owners of other cars.

Calling Carroll Shelby "money grubin POS" is over the line. We ask for self control in personal attacks. Here is a thread there is not even a dissenting voice. There is not even a debate or an argument going on in here.

In that case, that kind of language without any provocation is nothing more than bathroom graffiti

Don't!!

TURK
CC MODERATOR
Old 08-22-2003, 07:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPO 2715
Not Ranked     
Lightbulb It's not enough, there needs to be more!

Gee, I don't think there is enough "Shelby Stuff".

The brakes are Baer/Shelby, the car is Unique/Shelby, the seats are, something/Shelby.........gee wiz.

I need MORE SHELBY STUFF!!!! Like Shelby brooms, Shelby pen and pencil sets. The world does not have enough!!!!

Okay, I'm kidding you.

Great Asp
Old 08-22-2003, 07:47 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     
Cool

PK,

I'll take you and the wife for a ride once you get settled in...Basking Ridge is a great area....Good for "kids" too..........

Turk,

So, speaking of glass houses, has that new 930 of yours shown you it's tail end yet...I hear that on the road course, it can be quite a handful when that boost suddenly kicks in ....

Bill S.

Old 08-22-2003, 07:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Turk-I don't think mrmustang has a FFR any more but your point is well taken.

Everyone's car deserves respect even if it's made in Stuttgart.

Bill-We'll def. get together when the dust settles. BTW I just bought a WRX STi 300hp/300torque 0-60 4.6 1/4 12.9 @104
It's a fun little grocery getter.

They don't cater the baseball games in B.R. do they?
pk

Last edited by pk; 08-22-2003 at 08:04 PM..
Old 08-22-2003, 07:50 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     
Cool

Turk knows that I do not have either of the FFR's any longer.....He got to see the new toy up close at the DVSF III this year...........Rumor has it he was drooling over it while I was not looking .

Bill S.

PS: To one and all, it should not matter what make or model Cobra (real or replica) you have, or want....if it does, then you are not thinking with a clear head.................

Quote:
Originally posted by pk

I don't think mrmustang has a FFR any more but your point is well taken.

Everyone's car deserves respect even if it's made in Stuttgart.
pk

Old 08-22-2003, 07:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It wasn't Mr.Mustang.
He said nothing of the sort.

Bill,
I have NOT pushed my luck. Too many warnings from too many people. Having seen what the car does on a straightaway, I don't think I want to find out what happens in a turn.

TURK
Old 08-22-2003, 07:58 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

Hey Turk,

Your a wise man, I swapped cars (my 89 5.0 coupe for a 1985 930 turbo) for a lap around Lime Rock back in the late 80's.....Got down in to it and found myself looking at the wrong side of the track just off the front straight.........They most certainly do command respect if they are driven properly. God forbid if your not ready for that boost to kick in...............

Bill S.

Old 08-22-2003, 07:59 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I think I get it. They HAD to issue an MSO because of the Shelby number added to the VIN number. I would guess thats a totally legal move and essentially creates a "new" car. Not being DOT and Fed approved could be a problem for some. But maybe they aint really driving them anyway?

,,,like I said before, I'm sure there are plenty of folks scratching their heads over US trying to figure out WHY we would pay so much a 2 seater car with no top!

Ernie
Old 08-22-2003, 08:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

.....and I am NOT. I have zero track experience, 18 laps in a Nascar at Richard Petty Experience, and a day spent at Derek Daley only thaught me how little I know about driving.

That is why I confine my driving to street events!!
JOKE! Just a JOKE!

We also found out they don't allow any speed exhibitions on the tracks here in California. Where are we supposed to go, what are we supposed to do?

The 930 is a phase that is going through my life, it is not a keeper.
Another CSX is on it's way and should be in the garage this Sunday early AM.
If I am going to wreck something I want something without a top so I can get out easier.

TURK
Old 08-22-2003, 09:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #243 - 351W stroked to 418
Not Ranked     

Turk -
I suppose I'm asking for it, but I'm having a hard time with the serious admonitions lavished on the masses regarding the listed car in general and Mr. Shelby specifically.
Personally, I see nothing wrong with spirited discussion regarding an item begging critical analysis. No one has purchased the car, so how are people bagging on an individual's personal choice? I hardly find it snobbery to state the obvious. This is a suspect automobile being listed at an exotic price, not a replica Cobra being subjected to ridicule.
As far as the perceived character assassination of Carroll Shelby goes, other than using the term 'POS,' I saw nothing slanderous or inaccurate in the poster's comments. In fact, I couldn't agree more with his stated opinions. It's a tough pill to swallow when one of your heroes turns out to be a mean-spirited mercenary who has mounted a crusade against the very people who worship him the most.
I'm an infrequent participant to this forum and as such don't presume to challenge the board's etiquette or presume to understand it's dynamics, but I think your criticism of this thread went beyond a moderator's duties.
Old 08-22-2003, 10:53 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I totally agree with Turk on this one! The statements were way over the line in my opinion. And I won't dignify the "comments" that really bothered me by quoting them here again!

Ernie
Old 08-22-2003, 11:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 with 331 KC
Not Ranked     

Hey svobud -

To quote you:

"I spent my entire childhood thinking Carroll Shelby was one of my Heros. Now every time I see his name in print or him in person .. I shake my head in disgust. What a total money grubin POS. He should have died years ago .. before he had the chance to eff up his reputation even worse."

Do you really mean that?

Pat Buckley
Old 08-22-2003, 11:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Gary,
You are "NOT asking for it", you are in a (civilized way) stating your disagreement with what I said. You are entitled to it.

If someone didn't like the pricing policies of SPF and elected to make their opinions heard and felt necessary to refer to Jim Price as a "POS" I believe, me and the other moderator and the administrator would exercise the same discipline.

There is a discussion going on in here regarding the value (or the lack of) a specific car. I personally agree with the looks and shape of that car as being less than what I would like. I also have a serious problem with the pricing of it.

However the reference to the guy who is responsible for much of what has brought us all here in the first place as a "POS" is not necessary to make that point.

There have been many spirited discussions regarding who Shelby is or isn't. This thread wasn't about him, it was about one of his cars and what someone paid or didn't. Does he have to be referred to as a "POS" even in this somewhat tame thread? Is that the only way to make the point?
Money "grubin" yes, POS. NO!

The moderators are ever so vigilant when the participants start slugging it out and revert to name calling, that is when both participants are present.

I feel it is my obligation to defend against the slander and name calling when the recipient is not even here to defend himself.

As for your critique of a Moderator's duties I will say, you are entitled to them. I still would not call you a POS and expect you to like it because of something you did or say sometime in the past.

"Serious admonishments"
I don't personally feel that way. Then it's me.

By your own admission you don't frequent the board often enough and therefore you are spared the constant admonishment of an 80 year old automobile icon.

Those of us who spend a lot of time in here get tired of the same old rhetoric regarding this old fella.
There is a point of redemption, and forgiveness we are all entitled to.

There was not much said in that post that was slanderous and out of the norm. I suppose we can both agree on the improper use of the word "POS" as referenced toward someone some still regard as a hero. It is an insult to those, if not anyone else.

There has been a very poor showing by Shelby American on this forum for a long time. Just about the time the likes of Bob Marsh and Brent Feninmore started posting in here and sharing information, we don't really want to chase them away because they get tired of seeing their boss being referred to in a very sophomoric way.

If my of defense Shelby doesn't sit well with you, that is OK too.
I do take issue with the generalization that somehow I have stepped over the boundaries of a good moderator by airing something you disagree.

There is no school to attend on how to become a good moderator. We learn on the job and try to make this place a fair playing field for all. Those looking for information, those looking for fun are all welcome. Not those looking for cheap thrills.

If you don't like my style of moderating take it up with the management. I need a better paying job anyway.

TURK
Old 08-23-2003, 05:18 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     
Cool

Yes, you got it.....for example, my original 1968 GT350 convertible came originally from Ford with the following VIN

8T03J183030

Of course since it was to be made in to a Shelby convertible, it left the A.O. Smith plant with the following VIN and new MSO

8T03J183030-2623

The "2623" being the official Shelby addition to the serial number., thus requiring the new MSO. Since these new continuation cars are being done in a similar fashion, they too will require a new MSO or title stating their full VIN.....Since Shelby is still listed as a licensed vehicle manufacturer in the US, he can issue the new MSO as he sees fit.

Hope this helps to clear thise item up.

Bill S.

Quote:
Originally posted by Excaliber

I think I get it. They HAD to issue an MSO because of the Shelby number added to the VIN number. I would guess thats a totally legal move and essentially creates a "new" car. Not being DOT and Fed approved could be a problem for some. But maybe they aint really driving them anyway?

,,,like I said before, I'm sure there are plenty of folks scratching their heads over US trying to figure out WHY we would pay so much a 2 seater car with no top!

Ernie

Closed Thread