29 30          

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2003, 08:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #243 - 351W stroked to 418
Not Ranked     

Since I'm somewhat unclear on the whole concept of e-bay anyway, when time comes for me to switch to a Kirkham, I think I'll just call the boys. One bid - done deal.

Durt
Old 08-26-2003, 08:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, 427
Not Ranked     
Smile

TC,

We try not to leave much to chance. We made the pads ourselves and riveted carpet to them to not scratch the frames. The flat pads gave me the "Willy's" and I couldn't deal with it. I was working a car once and someone on the other side pushed or pulled, or something, and the car slid. The cars are so light I just couldn't stand it any more and so I made the pads.

I would recommend them. Better safe than flat.

I guess I worry a lot.

David
"Fear is the thief of dreams."
Old 08-26-2003, 09:02 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2 dr roadster, V-8, 4 spd.
Not Ranked     

That is EXACTLY why I noticed them. I am not a math major (well, actually I am--accounting math, errr simple math), but I have always been conscious of the surface area of the frame to lift arm surface, and I know how light these things are having picked up the front end with a broom stick under the quick jacks. [NOT kidding folks--Johan made me do it ] Appreciate the feedback, especially for this question.
Old 08-27-2003, 01:25 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

onlinesurfer appears again. Now at $50,101.
Old 08-27-2003, 02:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Once Owned CSX4803, CSX803 block, Keith Craft 468, Suspension by Tom Barnard, Built by Kris Kincaid
Not Ranked     

I have lost out on two prior Kirkham auctions! At least I'm the high bidder...for now!!!

Bluedog
Old 08-27-2003, 03:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

David Kirkham: any chance in taking my soul in trade or partial trade?? or one of my three healthy young boys (free labor for your wonderful work)......im in awe.......ive got to sell something to get one of these!!!!........
Old 08-27-2003, 07:53 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I was in there until it hit the 40's on like the FIRST day! That's when I decided, give it up man, this thing's headed for high 50's-60's!

The bidding doesn't even heat up until the last day or later! We still got SEVEN days left!!!!!

How high WILL it GO????

Ernie

Last edited by Excaliber; 08-27-2003 at 07:56 PM..
Old 08-27-2003, 08:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 393 $27 S.O. bored and stroked to 482
Not Ranked     
Default How High?

I've been hearing some manical giggling coming from the direction of Provo! Insert picture into brain, of David K. hunched over rubbing hands together. Heh Heh!
Old 08-27-2003, 09:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I guess it would be just plain irritating if I reiterated that I just don't get this whole tap dance.
But indulge me.
Does anyone seriously entertain a notion to 'steal' this piece of art for anything less than what it would cost directly from the K bros.?
Seriously - tell this idiot (me) why I would want to attempt to buy this in an auction versus through the manufacturer.
Are treasures really buried there, or am I just missing the point?
I'm all ears.

Durt
Old 08-27-2003, 10:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Durt,
Other than being the coolest new thing to come around maybe there some percieved extra value in that it is the first one offered.
They posted what you could order it for right on the auction listing so it seems kinda silly to bid on it after that point is reached.

With the Stainless frame and the new control arms and uprights it has got to be the coolest thing to hit the scene in a while.
Old 08-27-2003, 10:30 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

That was my game plan Durt! I hoped to get it well under "market" value. It HAS happened, it WILL happen again. It aint gonna happen with THIS one, it's to special.

Ernie
Old 08-27-2003, 10:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

xlr - thanks for the reply -
that's my point ... if the car is listed at 60+K sticker, and it's a rarity on top of that, AND it's at 50K+ with 8 days to go at auction - what is all the hubbub about !?
Once it reaches sticker price, what has officially happened? You bought it over the internet other than directly from the Kirkhams?
Is the car a one-off unavailable to order from Kirkham after this week?
I guess if the winning bid comes in under sticker, that'll be interesting. But unless this is an unobtainable rarity, I still fail to see the advantage of jockeying to pay exactly what the builders are asking for at the factory.
I'm not trying to be cheeky - I just don't get it. Color me dumb.

Durt
Old 08-27-2003, 10:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Wink

Thanks for your input too, Excalibur - appreciate it.
Old 08-28-2003, 04:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP/427co
Send a message via AIM to shaps Send a message via MSN to shaps
Not Ranked     

Durt,
Kirkham is the seller, the venue is e-bay for this particular car. You are correct, you can always call them direct, but there is a wait. This car appears to be a completed roller, ie. available NOW.
Along with all else said in the previous posts, that is what might make this more valuable to someone.

Shaps
Old 08-28-2003, 04:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP
Not Ranked     

Just bid $65,000. If that ends up being the maximum, then you still got it for less than the sticker price. If the bidding does get goosed up that uch then you save more. THis way, you won't be sniped at the end, unless of course the sniper bids $65,100.

Of course, I hope it goes for $85,000.

I'm no expert.
Old 08-28-2003, 06:28 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

1st off, there is a chance it will go less than "sticker". Secondly the car is available NOW as mentioned above, and will be known as the 1st one sold to the public. Those are the two-three reasons I see in bidding on this one.

TC, I just called them up myself for my KMP, but waited for it to get built.
Old 08-28-2003, 06:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

That car looks better every time I see it.
Old 08-28-2003, 07:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks to all for the explanation. I guess I'll go place a bid. If it winds up being the top one, I guess I can do a second on the house.

Durt
Old 08-28-2003, 03:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by Durt

Does anyone seriously entertain a notion to 'steal' this piece of art for anything less than what it would cost directly from the K bros.?
Durt, I hoped to steal this one. I guess it ain't in the cards, my max bid has been surpassed.
Steals have happended though, I have one in my garage(I think it was a steal?).
Old 08-28-2003, 04:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, 427
Not Ranked     
Smile

Durt,

Why would anyone bid on this car?

This car is available now. There is usually a 2-9 month wait to get one of our cars. You never know how long the wait is going to be until the day you call us. Right now, the wait is 2 months. If everyone who said they wanted our car, (and said they were going to send us money actually sent us money), the wait would be 2-9 years...

Just kidding...a little.

Also, this car is available at X price and you know you are bidding on a real car at a real price. There is no negotiation, no haggleing, no trades, no gimmicks, no hassle, no...

The car is what it is and it will sell. We always sell our cars at no reserve because we are in the business to sell cars, not in the business to have people wonder what our unrealistic reserve is. People know this car is for sale now and if they want it, they can have it within a couple of days.

No reserve generates a lot of excitement--sometimes the cars sell for good money, sometimes the cars...well just ask SFCJ. We consider it all advertising. No reserve means no BS. I can't stand the games some people play at auctions, (that includes the auction companies themselves). We are confident in our producst, so I believe the risk is minimal. We are happy with ebay, they have always treated us right and have done a great service for us.

Steve,

We NEED one of these cars in Texas.

xl8or,

Thanks for the kind words.

John,

No giggling, just trying to keep ahead of the market.

Rem,

Get selling! Thanks for the kind words.

Have a great day and Happy Motoring!

David
"Fear is the thief of dreams."