Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2008, 06:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, PE 514
Not Ranked     

PHM;

Color is one of the things we've all spent a lot of time deciding. As far as what's "right" -- choose the color that's right for you.

You're on the right track by looking at paint chips. I did that too, settling on just the right (for me) PPG paint codes for the body and stripes. I then specified these colors to SPF, and that's what colors they painted it. It's "supposed" to be an additional cost to do custom colors, but they waived any extra costs.

By the way, I've heard that if you rounded up a "statistical" sample of 10 cobras, 5 of them would be blue, 3 would be red and 2 would be silver.

Bryon

Last edited by BDHE; 06-02-2008 at 10:18 AM..
Old 06-02-2008, 07:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RUCC, 351w 400hp
Not Ranked     

Ahh the dredded color question. Mine was going to be blue with white stripes for almost 5 years, up until it was tiem to paint it. There are a lot of blue out there, and that is the reason I went with something different, but bottom line do what you want, thats all that really counts.

What helped be best in picking a color was spending some time checking out car lots looking at colors, a whole car in any specific color looks a little different then the 1" X 1" paint chip. Find some colors you like in the car lots and check them out in the sun as well as evenings ect... some colors really appear different in the sun light then under a little 60 watt bulb. Good luck.........
Old 06-02-2008, 03:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I have Portifino Blue from SPF, it's a nice color and you don't see it very often. I'm not sure if it is still available, but might be worth a peek! I had mine repainted in PPG, (the old manufacturer was Glasirite(Sp)) with silver stripes!

Good Luck !
Old 06-02-2008, 05:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #2907 with a stroked genisis 427 side oiler and dual quads
Not Ranked     

Sounds Good, let me know when it comes in i would like to look at it.
Old 06-02-2008, 05:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Sorry for the confusion,my SPF is an older one and came through Portifino Blue.I had it repainted in PPG's version of the same color and added silver/titanium colored stripes. I have had some very nice commpliments, mostly the "You don't see that color often, looks nice" Just something to consider !!
Old 06-04-2008, 03:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #2907 with a stroked genisis 427 side oiler and dual quads
Not Ranked     

Thanks Guy's! After looking at alot of pictures and trying to find paint codes it turns out i'm going to go with the SPF Royal Blue with silver pin strips. Thanks for all your help. It's nice to know there is this much information out there! I am going to Carlise this weekend and try to find an engin builder. I've never had a big block and i thing that is what i'm putting in it, for good or bad. I will probebly be looking for a dual quad set up for a 428 if anyone has one?
Old 06-04-2008, 08:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz/SBC/Jag
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback51 View Post
Go with what you like.

It's not like you are going to see dozens of these cars a day and be mistaken for someone else.
Don't be so sure. At car shows around here I have seen six blue/ti Superformance cars within 50 feet of each other on several occassions.

We come into this world naked, screaming, and covered in blood. With dedication and a little planning, you can go out the same way.

View my overflow Gallery (much more to come !)
Old 06-04-2008, 09:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPO 2813, Roush 427SR/TW
Not Ranked     

My Royal Blue with white stipes+pin stripes should by on US soil this Friday. I was not as particular about color as I was about trying to get one with pin stripes as quickly as I could. I actually gave Wayne at Gear 6 my "acceptable" color choices and he told me what was either currently available or "on the water". I picked from that.

I think the Royal Blue with Light Silver stripes would be very nice and will look quite a bit different than the Indigo/Titanium which is the leading SPF color combo right now.

I can't wait to see your car, but I really can't wait to get in mine.
Old 06-04-2008, 07:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory 5 mk4 445 FE
Not Ranked     

Like a guy told me one time... When you lay your head down on the pillow at nite and you start thinking about Cobras... what color do you go to sleep thinking about!!!. Check out the pic of my car below.. Its a stock FORD blue.
Stoneville,NC

My ex car. Sad to see it go.
http://www.ffcars.com/POM/nov2003pom.JPG
Old 06-04-2008, 07:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Looking for a nice Cobra ...
Not Ranked     

I just joined the board as I'm looking to eventually get a SPF in the near future. I'm a long time M3 owner and intimately know BMW's blue lineup ... Avus, Lemans, Laguna Seca, etc. with Avus being the closest color to what I'm looking for in the SPF. Since someone opened the thread, I figured I step out of lurkerville and jump on the blue topic. Does anyone have a pic of Indigo Blue & Royal Blue next to each other? I know colors are so subjective.

Any way to verbally describe the difference? I've seen some pics of Indigo looking really different based on lighting conditions (like BMW’s Carbon Black) ... Royal has seemed more consistent in photos. I'm looking for what most matches RACERAL's gorgeous ride. Does his/your pic accurately represent Ford Blue? Regardless - that color in the pic is extremely close to what I'm after ... no pastel hints, more blue depth.

BTW - how's the Cobra scene in Atlanta? I've only seen a couple. The Southern club looked all FL. A fellow BMW enthusiast here in Atlanta pointed me to the board (Tony H.) - past owner of 2 Cobras with 1 being Indigo SPF, but my memory of it is 3 years old.

Thanks,
John