Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2008, 05:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RUCC, 351w 400hp
Not Ranked     
Default Static cling decal question?

I am just getting ready to put my static cling decals on my cobra. I have read several post on the best way to put them on utilizing windex and a squeegee and let set for a few days, however I have not seen or read anything as far as the removal of these vinyl static cling decals.

What is the best way to remove them from time to time with out damage to the decal or the paint? Has anyone ever had any problems removing them after they have been in place for a long period of time? Is there any point in time or excessive condition such as heat where they start to stick and become difficult to remove or may result in damage to the paint or clear coat?

Just looking for information so I can add and remove my decals properly so they can be preserved and used off and on for a long time.

Jim
Old 07-07-2008, 05:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Ex CSX3327, & AK7113 AutoKraft AC MK IV
Not Ranked     
Default static cling decals

Clean off wax with rubbing alcohol before applying. apply with water and one drop liquid dish soap from a spray bottle to cool car. Squeegee air out , either put car in sun or just let sit for a day. To remove, rewet with solution heavily and pick a corner with fingernail. I'm told you can create reverse fade lines if left on for months and car is heavily exposed to UV...paint under decal fades at slower rate.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BACKDRAFT
Send a message via AIM to SKINNEDR Send a message via Skype™ to SKINNEDR
Not Ranked     

I had mine done a few months ago, and I will warn you, if it rains it will fall off. Mine fell off a few weeks after it was installed, just under normal condition, no rain. I'm planning on having this done permanetly; painted on or striped
Dex......
Old 07-07-2008, 09:34 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RUCC, 289 c.i. with a T-5 "Living the Cobra Experience"
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBo View Post
Clean off wax with rubbing alcohol before applying. apply with water and one drop liquid dish soap from a spray bottle to cool car. Squeegee air out , either put car in sun or just let sit for a day. To remove, rewet with solution heavily and pick a corner with fingernail.
Jim, I have the static cling fender spats on mine & applied them per the instructions like JBo mentioned and they've been fine ever since. I have 300 miles on my Cobra & drove it in the rain once, mine didn't come off.

Hope this helps.

Randy

"Living the Cobra Experience"
Old 07-07-2008, 11:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sounds good,

Just looking for some info before I dive into these. I have never done anything with static cling stickers before and wanted all the info I could gather before hand. Wish I'd done that on everything, might have saved me a few head aches.

Juggernaut, I will try to get some more and better finished pictures of mine in my gallery soon. I had an RU Car Crafter window sticker made up to save some time of folks asking which kit, but never had time to put it on before the London show. Most folks when told what kind of a kit it was, after the general response of "no its not a factory five" just looked kinda confused and said oh, only very few even heard of the kit.

I am just a beginner with only 200 or so miles in the past 2 weeks but man this car drives and handles great so far. Can't wait to get it broke in a little more so I can start builing my experience up to really see what she will do.

Jim
Old 07-07-2008, 12:07 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RUCC, 289 c.i. with a T-5 "Living the Cobra Experience"
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimw427 View Post
Sounds good,

Just looking for some info before I dive into these. I have never done anything with static cling stickers before and wanted all the info I could gather before hand. Wish I'd done that on everything, might have saved me a few head aches.

Juggernaut, I will try to get some more and better finished pictures of mine in my gallery soon. I had an RU Car Crafter window sticker made up to save some time of folks asking which kit, but never had time to put it on before the London show. Most folks when told what kind of a kit it was, after the general response of "no its not a factory five" just looked kinda confused and said oh, only very few even heard of the kit.

I am just a beginner with only 200 or so miles in the past 2 weeks but man this car drives and handles great so far. Can't wait to get it broke in a little more so I can start builing my experience up to really see what she will do.

Jim
Great, anxious to see more pictures. I get the same response when I tell them what kit mine is. To clear up the confused look on their face, I tell them it's a special "limited edition" kit, that gets 'em going!

It does handle & drive great, I'm getting a little "braver" with the gas pedal on mine but I don't want to over do it & wind up screwing the car (or myself) up.

Randy

"Living the Cobra Experience"
Old 07-09-2008, 08:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Got a silly question, has anyone applied these to there car without removing the wax or polis, or do they just not stick at all. I have seen where you use either windex or a soap and water combination, but I does the wax really need to be stripped off? And after they are applied, what do you do when you polish or wax you car, just skip these areas or remove the decals, then remove the wax next time you feel like putting them on?

Jim
Old 07-09-2008, 08:36 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1019
Not Ranked     

I've applied and removed my static cling-on's many, many times over the past 8+ years, and never lost one, even after hitting 140 on the front straight at T-Hill many times. Here's the process that I follow:

1. Clean the area on the Cobra with some detail spray. No need to remove wax.
2. Mix water and about 1/2 teaspoon of car wash soap in a squirt bottle. Do not use household soap - this is really important. Use only car wash soap.
3. Gently peel the cling-on off of the paper (or where it is).
4. Saturation the area on the Cobra and the back of the cling-on with the soapy-water. You cannot use too much soapy-water solution. The excess will just run off.
5. Apply the cling-on - slide it into place. If you use plenty of soapy-water solution, then the cling-on can be easily adjusted (slid) into it's final position.
6. Use a roller squeegy to remove the excess water and air bubbles - start in the very center and roll out the edge (like cutting a pizza from the middle) in either a clock-wise or counter clock-wise direction. It's ok if the soapy-water solution gets on the outside of the cling-on. The key is to get all of the bubbles out - it's ok to go around the cling-on a few times with the roller squeegy.
7. Use a soft dry towel to wipe off the cling-on and the surrounding area.
8. Repeat for each cling-on.
9. Let the Cobra sit for 24 hours before driving.

The soapy-water solution does two things:

1. It provides slippery lubrication, so that you can position your cling-on after you've applied it.
2. After it dries, it provides a "paint-safe" glue-like adhesive (read: post-it note stickinees, not super glue) which adds to the static to help keep the cling-on in place. This is why it's important to use a "car wash" soap and not some household soap which might hurt the paint.

To remove, just pick a corner or any edge with your fingernail and gently pull the entire cling-off. The key is to have a clean place to store it BEFORE you peel it off. I use my garage refrigerator sides/door for my cling-on storage. Just like when applying cling-on's to your Cobra, clean and saturate the storage spot before applying the cling-on (IOW, you are just re-applying the cling-on onto another surface - follow the same steps above, including the squeegy). This will preserve your cling-on.

This easy process has worked for me for many years.

Have fun,
Randy...
Old 07-09-2008, 10:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: west Coast Cobra FRP 460, Tremec 5 sp, Ford 9" rear
Not Ranked     

Hi All
Where do you get your decals ?
Thanks
Old 07-09-2008, 05:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mine came from Finishline. They look great.

Andy.

Anything is possible (if you can justify throwing bucket loads of money at it!).
Old 07-09-2008, 06:12 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4758, CSX 381 Keith Craft 482 w/ Weber 48 IDA's
Not Ranked     

I have done the exact same drill that Randy Rosenberg does, except I use Windex to clean first then the soapy water for install. You can also use a credit card to squeegee out the bubbles from the center out. Works for me and very easy.

Wax right up to and over it if you wish. Just leaves a little waxy ridge when you peel off, which wipes right off.