27 28 29 30 31    

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2009, 05:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast-Ford Performance Solutions 533 BB
Not Ranked     
Default Safe radiator bug screen mesh size?

I live in agricultural countryside and a 30 minute drive leaves my radiator so full of bugs I think by the end of summer it just won't cool any longer. Is there a way to remove them without pushing them into the radiator or damaging the fins?

I've read the forum articles on putting up a screen in front of the radiator but does anyone know how fine a mesh will still not impede decent airflow to the radiator?

Thanks!

Dirk
Old 03-30-2009, 05:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FF Daytona Coupe #211, SPF,1037 sold
Not Ranked     

I just purchased the air and oil mesh screens from www.olthoff-racing.com look under the goodies section Should be in this week sometime. I'll post some pics when installed.

Chris
Old 03-30-2009, 08:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast-Ford Performance Solutions 533 BB
Not Ranked     
Default A bit pricey?

Chris, I sure do love the look of those goodies you bought, but I was hoping to make something myself at somewhat less than the $300+ for that combo. What is the mesh size Chris? Since stop and go overheating is a problem I'm working to solve, does anyone have data on how much flow reduction from a radiator screen is tolerable without significantly reducing cooling during general operation?

Thanks!

Dirk
Old 03-30-2009, 08:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1436 514
Not Ranked     

I ordered mine from SPF which is basically an aluminum frame with two center braces and steel screen mesh. Then you just use velcro strips to stick it on. Easy to take off to clean!! If you look in my gallery, you can see some of the pics. It doesn't completely cover the radiator, it doesn't need to.

Scott

Old 03-30-2009, 09:12 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Dirk - You might want to take a look at the SPF bug screen to get an idea of the density then go to a screen shop and have one made. I just took a look at mine. The screen is extremely fine, but you can definitely see the radiator fins.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 03-31-2009, 05:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arps/Burroughs/Hurricane/428FE
Not Ranked     

I just bought a piece of Sunshade material from Lowes ($5.00), cut it to the appropriate size, had my wife sow a seam all the way around the outside and then inserted a piece of small cable through the pocket seam. I then placed the Sunshade bug screen inside my front intake, just in front of the radiator rock guard, used a couple of small bunges to secure it. It doesn't seem to cut down on cooling at speed and is easy to remove and clean....I'll let you know how it works out.

Bill
Old 03-31-2009, 09:00 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF - 351W, 944 non-turbo
Not Ranked     

Get a piece of window screen and a bicycle inner tube. Inflate the tube until it's firm and shaped. Wrap the screen around it and make it square. Staple it in place. You now have a flexible bug screen that installs in seconds and can be remove even faster.

Bob

Does anyone need pictures?
Old 03-31-2009, 02:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #2144 with a Roush 342R (sold June 2018, but still lurking on Club Cobra)
Not Ranked     

I live in an agricultural setting also and had the same issues you described. I liked the screens offered by SPF and Olthoff (they are well made from heavy mesh material and are good for bugs and stones) but the price was a bit much for my budget. I shopped around and my local ACE hardware came to the rescue. They custom made a screen for me that fits well and attaches by Velcro. Cost about $24. Not really heavy enough to protect from stones but more than adequate for bugs. It's very easy to remove for cleaning. The screen mesh size is what is typically found on a screen door. Have not experienced any overheating issues in approx. 4000 miles. Overall, I'm very pleased.
Old 03-31-2009, 03:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

I used 1/4" SS mesh from Pegasus. Easy to do, protects the radiator very well - even at high speeds. I don't remember the exact cost, But it wasn't much.
Old 03-31-2009, 06:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2108
Not Ranked     

I'd got with Pegasus. They sell it in different sizes and mesh, it's made of stainless steel. I'll be fabricating a bug screen for my radiator, one for my oil cooler, and even make some headlight covers. I have some other projects to do at the moment, but when I get around to it I will be ordering through Pegasus.

DD

"You're kidding, right?"
Old 03-31-2009, 07:29 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Just curious how many people rigged up a screen to cover their oil cooler. I put about 5k miles on my car and found that the oil cooler fins were so fine that a quick wipe with a cloth would clean off any bugs. Lately, I've had the oil cooler covered with thin rubber sheet.

I know that Scooter doesn't even use the oil cooler on his SPF with a 514.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 04-01-2009, 01:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1436 514
Not Ranked     

Curious what kind of bug screens some of you got from SPF?? The one I bought from them is a window screen. I don't think I paid much for it.
I could have gone down to OSH and picked up the materials to make it. Then, buy a roll of velcro that has both sides and are like tape that you stick on. It's nice with the velcro. Easy to take off and clean!!
Have never had a need for the oil cooler even on the track!!!!!!!

Scott

Last edited by scootter; 04-01-2009 at 01:49 PM..
Old 04-01-2009, 03:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 498
Not Ranked     

I use BR Motorsports 559-739-1515--"Honeycomb Radiator Protector" it is a very cool 20in x 20in sheet of some kind of paper stuff. Only costs 18 bucks. You cut it to fit looks cool you can paint it. Weighs only onces wont move around and ware a hole in something. I wont drive across town with out protection on the oil cooler and radiator. BR are sprint car guys they have lots of cool stuff.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arps/Burroughs/Hurricane/428FE
Not Ranked     

Update on my home made bugscreen. I used sunshade material from Lowes and attached it to my radiator rock guard. Anyway, it worked just fine, no measureable difference in running temp. and did catch a few butterflies.
The biggest thing I caught was large flying beach towel.... that ended up hanging on the rear shock mount. It turned out to be a good towel..a keeper.

Best Regards, Bill