15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30          

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2009, 07:01 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2100 Rio Red Wimbledon White Stripes 302 stroked to 331 Webers Richmond Road Race 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Default Helmet face shield fogging up

What do you use to keep the face shield on a full face helmet from fogging up? I read some where they used dish soap?
Old 06-11-2009, 07:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX2321
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakebit View Post
What do you use to keep the face shield on a full face helmet from fogging up? I read some where they used dish soap?
Just do what's done with dive masks, you spit on it.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

Stop smoking with the face shield down. Duh!
Old 06-11-2009, 07:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#0760
Not Ranked     

Stop breathing for a few mins...

Large, easy to read and trace schematics with part numbers, wire colors, wire gauge, fuses, and electrical upgrade information. Trouble-shooting and replacement part numbers for those roadside repair adventures.
SPFWiringDiagrams@Comcast.net
Old 06-11-2009, 07:58 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Try replacing your visor with a "fog free" shield if available. They also sell a spray that will reduce fogging. The other thing is try to find a visor that is vented.

Last option....try an open faced helmet.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it

Last edited by Got the Bug; 06-11-2009 at 08:04 AM..
Old 06-11-2009, 08:22 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 S.O. Dual Quad / Cobra undecided
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Try your local scuba diving shop. Most will have an anti-fog spray used for dive masks that will work just fine on your face shield.

The reason divers spit in their mask is saliva contains a small amount of silica, which when smeared on the interior lens of the mask helps to defeat the fogging process.

You can also try rubbing in a light film of silicone from a can of silicone spray, just a tiny amount on a rag and rub down the inside of your shield.

Last edited by lineslinger; 06-11-2009 at 08:27 AM..
Old 06-11-2009, 09:11 AM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

RainX Anti-Fog...easier to find.
Old 06-11-2009, 02:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

Don't use Rain-X; it will fog some face shields. Spitting in it like a dive mask doesn't work either.

Check with the motorcycle shops. There's a couple of products that work well. The Fog City Pro-Shield works very well, and never runs out. Fog Off! is a spray on product specifically for helmet shields. It needs to be re-applied periodically.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ro-Shield.aspx
http://www.whitehorsepress.com/produ...oducts_id=5867

I use this sun blocker strip on my motorcycle helmet. It works really well.

http://www.whitehorsepress.com/produ...oducts_id=3691
Old 06-11-2009, 04:45 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 228, Roush 342R, 457HP/428TQ, modified AOD
Not Ranked     

Lots of good recommendations above, but if it still fogs up, try this quick trick that one of the instructors told me about at Mid Ohio.

Get a small piece of soft foam insulation about 1/4" thick, 1'4" wide, and about 1 1/2" long with the sticky backing on one side.

Place it in the middle of the lower opening for the face shield so that it goes from the outside of the helmet across the opening to slightly inside the helmet.

You are then able to open the face shield if if it starts fogging up, close it back to an "almost" closed position where it will remain, and if you push the face shield a bit harder it will go back to the "locked" closed position.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1436 514
Not Ranked     

Motorcycle shop will have the anti-fog spray. I used it all the time. Then I started using Warps plexy glass cleaner from Orchard Supply. My dirt bike goggles never fog up!!

Scott
Old 06-12-2009, 12:58 AM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

bobcowan...don't know "which" particular shields you've experienced problems with, but I've never had a problem with RainX Anti Fog nor has anyone else I know that uses it...passed the bottle at more than a few meets over the years. Also know a few fire department folks who use it as well.

Sure it was the Anti Fog product and not regular RainX?
Old 06-12-2009, 05:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 758 KC Pond 482
Not Ranked     

From many wet races in an open cockpit car- Rain-x anti fog helps a lot but isn't fool proof; crack the visor open slightly. Also, I used to put a small piece of weatherstrip foam along the bottom which helps regulate how much air gets in when the visor is cracked open.
Old 06-12-2009, 12:28 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2100 Rio Red Wimbledon White Stripes 302 stroked to 331 Webers Richmond Road Race 5 speed
Not Ranked     

Did some research on the internet. The motorcycle guys recommend "Cat Crap" Yes, that's what its called. It's a green gel that turns clear when applied with your finger and you buff it with a soft towel. Sold at sporting good stores. I have not tried it yet, nor did they comment on what your finger smells like after applying it.

Last edited by Snakebit; 06-12-2009 at 12:39 PM..
Old 06-21-2009, 09:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamo View Post
bobcowan...don't know "which" particular shields you've experienced problems with, but I've never had a problem with RainX Anti Fog nor has anyone else I know that uses it...passed the bottle at more than a few meets over the years. Also know a few fire department folks who use it as well.

Sure it was the Anti Fog product and not regular RainX?
I use the RainX no-fog solution on my windshiel. it works pretty good, since I don't have a defroster.

I tried it on my Nolan helmet shield. After about a week it fogged the sirface, and I couldn't polish it off. I had to replace it. That's the no fog, not the regular RainX product.

I also tried regular RainX on a Bell shield quite a few years ago. That fogged the shield really quick.
Old 06-21-2009, 10:06 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Not sure if some personal experiences are enough to tell someone NOT to use a widely-used product...maybe a warning to try a small portion of the face shield might have been a more proportionate response.

Again, I've never had a problem, nor have others at the track with me, on a variety of mfg's shields...Bell included for me personally. I tend to crack the shield open a bit like xracerbob says...mostly for comfort...so maybe that has helped.

In any event...

Last edited by Jamo; 06-21-2009 at 10:08 PM..