Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2001, 05:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default What is you favorite Road Race course?

Where do you like to spend the weekends doing open track? Not just the best track but also the best aftertrack dining and partying.The best all around experience.(east coast only this poll)
Old 10-13-2001, 06:56 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A CSX Cobra,1966 GT350 and an '06 Ford Heritage GT
Not Ranked     
Cool

In your poll, Road Atlanta. I have been there many times over the years and it is an absolutely beautiful place, full of very friendly people. Panoz has done an excellent job of tastefully updating the track without destroying it's feel, and has greatly improved the amenities--especially motoring in and out. A close second would be Laguna Seca--a lot more to see and do--especially during concours week!
Old 10-13-2001, 07:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Of the east coast tracks I've been to, my favorite track to drive is Mid-Ohio. Including the atmosphere and dining, etc., though, I'd go with Watkins Glenn. So much history and a great town for food, wine, etc. Absolutely stunning in the fall. In the west, it's a toss up between Sears Point and Laguna Seca. Both are drivers' tracks, and who could argue with either Monterrey or Sonoma?

Mike Eckhaus
Old 10-14-2001, 07:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SOLD: 2013 Boss 302 Mustang #2775 (both options). SOLD: 95 Mustang Cobra R #4 of 250 "Rosie's Diner" car. SOLD: CCX2-2505, #5 of 7 289 FIAs ever produced at Contemporary! my first Cobra: Unique 427SC w/ 428CJ moder!
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Hands down its.......

WATKINS GLEN. As Mike stated, you can't beat it in the fall, absolutely gorgeous...unless of course, it rains. Then is really BLOWS!!!!

Great course, every turn is a challenge, the track crew is top notch and it is an extremely tight ship they run there.

Summit Point comes in a close second place. I forgot how long the straight was and drove off the end of it just to make sure that it did end. Off camber dogleg (turn #4) and turn #5 are killer.
Old 10-14-2001, 12:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default VIR

VIR takes the cake. brand new. clean. excellent staff. driving impressions store at the facility. clean bathrooms. showers. decent food. electricity and camping. 24 hour security.

plenty of runoff room. limited number of guardrails/concrete barriers. contoured corners. excellent scenery.

but face it. any track that will open its gates for us on any given day is the best one!!!

-ssnake

wish it was closer.
Old 10-14-2001, 01:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I voted for the Glen. Great area, lots of restaurants and things to do off track, beautiful views from the track. Track food is just that, track food. But the Club Cranky food service is excellent.. Free garages and paved paddock area, lots of clean bathrooms. The Seneca is a real trip through time, especialy if you get a "cabin". Speed vision on TV if you get one in your room. Where else can you have a drunken bonfire at the hotel? The track itself is in very good condition generally, no drop-offs at track out, just the turtles. Lots of SPEED. Fast flowing corners and some reasonably technical stuff. Did I mention SPEED? But it is 6 hours away for me, and I seem to have a problem with clutches there. Sure I mentioned SPEED? And best of all...NO MUFFLER CRAP.

But I still love LRP. It doesn't suit the Cobra as well as the Glen, and it is extremely unforgiving and demands full attention at all times. You can crash at LRP in a hundred ways, sometimes 2 or 3 turns after you mess up. But when you get one right at LRP, you really know it. And the Downhill, talk about sucking it up and standing on it when your foot wants to pull up so bad it hurts. It's only 1 hour away, the food is great, the area picturesque, the paddock is dirt or grass, no garages at all, track gas is stinky smelling ELF Fuel, but the MUFFLER rules are really getting bad.

Guess I'll have to take an extra 2 days and try Summit Point or VIR next year.
Old 10-14-2001, 03:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

you are definitely spot on with LRP and Watkins.
They are excellent tracks. Problem with LRP is availability of events and no sunday tracktime.

Watkins is the best road course in the northeast. no doubt. the town. the restaurants. just a little uncomfortable with the guardrails and rocktraps. i mean sandpits.

Haven't gone to road atlanta or summit point yet. Road atlanta looks excellent. hopefully I can run there next year.

anyone get on the waiting list for the Grand Prix of Washington DC? Next july 20 something. they are building a temporary road course in the parking lots and roads of one of the big stadiums in dc.i think RFK. i am already on the list.

-ssnake
Old 10-14-2001, 03:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

forgot NHIS. fun road course. got the hell scared out of me going into turn one in April. saw the wall and missed it on a prayer going in way to hot.
Old 10-16-2001, 03:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA427SC #323, 427 SO, 428 crank, 454 CI, "IM2QWIK"---ERA GT-40 #2043 Ford SVO 302 Weber 48 IDA's 400HP "1 GT 40"
Not Ranked     
Thumbs down Typical Sopranoville ploy

Cranky,

You East coasters have a way of getting us left coasters to respond to anything... Thread reads "What is your favoite Road Race course?" When you open it, first post says (East coast only this post)

I'm so pi$$ed that I'm gonna enter the Cobra in a show this weekend!!!

spotterjoe

Old 10-16-2001, 03:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Time for a West coast poll

Joe,
How about you left coasters having a poll of your great tracks.
You will probably get a better responce than I did out here in Waxerville.
BTW, we have unoficially closed the doors to any East Coast waxer that want to come parade around our tracks.Getting too crowded with Mustangs and Porsches and we already have enough Cobra racers.
How about that Dale Jarrett, not forcing Craven out of the way for the win.
Looking forward to the night race at Bristol.
RD
Old 10-16-2001, 04:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SOLD: 2013 Boss 302 Mustang #2775 (both options). SOLD: 95 Mustang Cobra R #4 of 250 "Rosie's Diner" car. SOLD: CCX2-2505, #5 of 7 289 FIAs ever produced at Contemporary! my first Cobra: Unique 427SC w/ 428CJ moder!
Not Ranked     
Red face Cranky, are you at it again???

....you whining about waxers???? I thought you'd be a happy camper today since you were at the Cranky version of FAO Schwartz...yer favorite store.....Hoffman machine talking with Dr. Frankenstein (THAT'S FRAHN-KEN-STHEEN!), about a new set of heads for that track turd of yours.
Old 10-16-2001, 04:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA427SC #323, 427 SO, 428 crank, 454 CI, "IM2QWIK"---ERA GT-40 #2043 Ford SVO 302 Weber 48 IDA's 400HP "1 GT 40"
Not Ranked     
Cool Ricky Rudd???

Good run by DJ & you know he's such a gentleman that he ain't gonna take a guy going for his !st win, 'specially a Ford... Geez, that race really hurt Ricky in the pionts... Just got the Bristol renewals last week... BTW, we finished 10th on the big track (1 1/2 mile) @ Las Vegas over the weekend...

spotterjoe

Old 10-16-2001, 07:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Talking "Track Turd"

Oh Giovanni. You crack me up. Track Turd.

I gotta say, to date The Glen is the best. I am going to Road Atlanta in November, so I'll reserve any final decision until after that visit.

NHIS - - Beats the crap outa the car but it is fun. I just don't like the transitions of track to oval and oval to track.

Hank
FFR 1776
Old 10-17-2001, 03:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Word definition

Track Turd = Car in front of you on racetrack that you can't pass.
Cranky
Old 10-17-2001, 07:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default or better yet, Cranky....

....you are actually the "track proctologist" too. You pushy sum*****!

.....remember Blue Bayou???? I hum that to myself when you pass me.
Old 10-17-2001, 02:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

So thats the name of the music I heard coming from your trailer Thursday night. At first I thought the shaking and bouncing was the generator humming away, then a pattern emerged and the music burst forth. And JM, you said that smile was just gas.

FEZ
Old 10-19-2001, 04:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

we can cross our fingers on rausch creek for next year.

they should be ready in time given they cancelled this summers opening.

whats at road atlanta in november. i've got the itch real bad. no not that itch. the racing itch.

ssnake
Old 10-19-2001, 07:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Panoz advanced road racing school. 2 day event.

Hank
FFR 1776