29 30          

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2002, 09:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Home built, supercharged 544cu/in automatic
Not Ranked     

Now this is a interesting thread as apposed to, well, you know. Guess I'll just keep reading,,,,,,,,

Bandit 1 - A 460 aluminum SVT block weighs the same as most production 460 blocks. The aluminum block is quite a bit stronger though.
For the record my 385 engine weighed 540 lbs minus the stuff hanging on it. The 720 lbs number I keep seeing is not true with all the aluminum goodies out there. As for a 385 engine being a copy of Chevys big block, NOT TRUE. It was conceived with something else in mind. To make it short though, they were designed for 500 cubic inch lo/po motors. Ironic that Ford never made them over 460 cubes for street cars.

At least on this thread I have seen logical responses though at times I see emotional responses. In both cases , some of the stuff I see is not true.

Yes, drag racing is not street racing. I know some guys that get really mad about the fact that those two are often confused. It don't stop me from making a blast down the street now and then though.

Finally I get really tickled that a 370 cubed Windsor motor is called a small block by you guys. My, how times have changed!

Regarding the Shelby history information. Most if it is cut and dry stuff that can be researched by anyone. But as for Rem's rejection of Cobras I can understand. There are those that re-live history. There are those that make history. Evans right though, I for one can't ignore the impact that owning this funny little car has had on me and the folks around me.

As for you small block racers out there I got a question.

WHY A COBRA?

cobrashock
Old 06-17-2002, 03:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Lightbulb My reason

Ron,
Why a small block for racing in a Cobra? Well it weighs 2300lbs is one good reason. Most open track fun racing is done in sb cars. My Cobra is a fake, replica , PSB so no need the run an engine that is 40 years old and costs an arm and a leg to maintain. And one of the best reasons is that a well built sb of 358 cubes can make 600 hp and run on pump gas and go a whole lot faster than the 40 year old motor. Do we need any more reasons to run a sb?

Thanks for asking.

Crankster
Old 06-17-2002, 06:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SOLD: 2013 Boss 302 Mustang #2775 (both options). SOLD: 95 Mustang Cobra R #4 of 250 "Rosie's Diner" car. SOLD: CCX2-2505, #5 of 7 289 FIAs ever produced at Contemporary! my first Cobra: Unique 427SC w/ 428CJ moder!
Not Ranked     

Ron,

That Shelby history is not really 'cut and dried'...maybe on the surface. But Big Bob Evans has been trying to tap into the "Mother Load' of information with many of the original drivers/builders/employees of SAI.

I appreciate all the behind the scenes / near espionage levels of enthusiasm that Bob displays in his efforts to gleen all that is Cobra related...Good, Bad and Indifferent.

Its the stuff that is NOT PRINTED that gets me excited!!!!

Old 06-17-2002, 06:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Crankster - I meant why a Cobra? Not sb Cobra or bb Cobra. If you think about it for a while the big block argument comes more into focus for you smallblock guys. I don't think you get it. The correct answer of course is WHY NOT ? In any rate what I think I am seeing is that you guys really do except the bb crowd but on your own terms. i.e. - NO WAXERS. Of course there is better ways to assemble a 2000 lbs racecar. But a Cobra? The argument of bb vs. sb is mute.
You might check out some of the local flavor here at Indy re; hobby racing. Make sure you check out the link to Putnam racetrack. All the REAL racecar drivers practice there. I won't get into who I have meet there but it's a true whos who in racing. Not to mention a few actors of well know fame. Been going there for years off and on.

www.diasio.com or www.putnampark.com
cobrashoch

Last edited by cobrashoch; 06-17-2002 at 10:26 AM..
Old 06-17-2002, 01:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Wer'e not real racers

Ron,
To answer your question why a Cobra? Because that's what I own. I though about my E350 work truck sb powered but too heavy 10,000 lbs., my F250 diesel BB too much torque not enough rpm's, my wife won't let me take her Maxima so I am stuck driving a replica Cobra on the track.
Where did you ever get the idea we exclude waxers from the Club Cranky events? We have invited many waxers to our events, including the Grand Waxer himself but for some reason they don't want to do open track and we don't have a show venue.As far as racing something else, well if I was 30 years younger and many dollars richer perhaps I would have a real racecar. I am not so I will have to drive what I have and that's the reason I drive a replica Cobra.
Thanks for asking.

Crankster

BTW there is a guy who brings one of those Diasio cars to the Glen and his lap times are among the best, but I get some satisfaction by out running him on the straights.

Last edited by RACER X #99; 06-17-2002 at 01:29 PM..
Old 06-17-2002, 02:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Next time some guy in a a Viper or something wants to "race" me, i'll make sure to tell him to pull over and I will explain to him that according to some guys on the Cobra Forum it's only concidered "racing" if he meets me up at the track. If it's not called "racing", what is it called?

I wasn't saying that the 429/460 engines were "copies" of the Big Block Chevrolet, I said that the same people that say Ford Big Blocks suck and that Chevrolet Big Blocks rule, say that the 429/460 is almost a "copy" of a Big Block Chevrolet engine.

If I was going to road race, I would use Superformance's "replica" of a Lotus 7 with the supercharged ZETEC engine in it.
Old 06-17-2002, 02:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Bandit,
Last week two innocent people were killed when two street racers slammed into their car while trying to out idiot one another in a Long Island NY street race.
Real men race on the track, assholes race on the street. Tell the guy you read that on CC.

Cranky
Old 06-17-2002, 03:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Any more details you would like to give (age of drivers, what kind of "street racing", type's of vehicle's, etc..). Let me guess, you drive the speed limit and you have never done a burn out or anything on the street...
Old 06-17-2002, 03:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SOLD: 2013 Boss 302 Mustang #2775 (both options). SOLD: 95 Mustang Cobra R #4 of 250 "Rosie's Diner" car. SOLD: CCX2-2505, #5 of 7 289 FIAs ever produced at Contemporary! my first Cobra: Unique 427SC w/ 428CJ moder!
Not Ranked     

Quote:
From Bandit:
Next time some guy in a a Viper or something wants to "race" me, i'll make sure to tell him to pull over and I will explain to him that according to some guys on the Cobra
Bandit,

No its not considered racing, its considered being 'smart'.

God forbid, you used your brains instead of yer Johnson and maybe ignored him.

Quote:
From Bandit:

Any more details you would like to give (age of drivers, what kind of "street racing", type's of vehicle's, etc..). Let me guess, you drive the speed limit and you have never done a burn out or anything on the street...
...And WHAT sense does this logic even make?????????????

Just stay away from me on the street.

BTW - Yes, I have raced on the street when I was a little younger but I was a lot more stupid.

Last edited by John McMahon; 06-17-2002 at 03:39 PM..
Old 06-17-2002, 04:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You both like to put EVERYONE in one category or another, it's a wonder you two think any High Performance car or motorcycle should even be on the street. If someone on this Forum doesn't have the money and/or time to race at some track somewhere then there "killers", "waxers," or something else.
Old 06-17-2002, 05:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bandit,

I'm not categorizing anyone.

I have done it too, but I have found a better way to get my ya-ya's.

You think I have the $$$ to race at a track?

All I know is $300 for 2 days of track time is cheaper than a speeding ticket. And if anyone gets hurt, it's me from my own mistakes.

You still didn't answer my question.

Last edited by John McMahon; 06-17-2002 at 05:02 PM..
Old 06-17-2002, 05:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Bandit,
Instead of spending my money on a 520ci 600hp street engine I spent it on some driving schools.
When you mature perhaps you will too.

No burnouts, no wax, no bull****

Just Cranky

Hey who put those stars in there?
Old 06-17-2002, 07:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

If you both are "men" and anyone on this forum that goes over the speed limit, does burnouts, races on the street in any shape or form, etc., are "inmature" and are all up there with rapist and drunken murders, then I suggest you post that on the main Cobra thread. You all don't know me or anything I do and because I race a Viper or something for 2 - 3 car lengths in the middle of some road with no cars, dogs, cats, people, or anyone else around you all think you can judge me and the people on this forum by putting us in the same category as some 16 year olds "racing" in and out of traffic or some school zone, get real...
Old 06-17-2002, 08:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Cranky - I drove a Diasio that was very modified about a year ago and it was the fastest damned thing I ever drove. That from a guy that raced blown Panteras a few centuries ago. Found out for sure then what I always knew anyway. That is, any edge I had then is long gone now. I was impatient with myself because my mind knew what to do but I couldn't do it. As for that track, I will tune/sort my cobra there soon I hope. Mom don't let me out much to play but maybe I can bump heads with your bunch at mid Ohio or something maybe next year or the end of this summer. Glad to hear that you let waxers in to!
cobrashock
Old 06-18-2002, 05:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ron,

Folks think Chaterhams and Lotus Super 7's are good in the corners? Well they haven't seen the Diaso. That car runs like its on rails. Not bad for a Rice Burning race car.

I'm glad that you understand what we try to do with Club Cranky.
Everyone is invited, we just ask Cobra owners (and others) to come out, have some fun! Watch, cook, turn wrenches, BS, wax, whatever!

We've never said we were professional racers, just a group of like minded individuals that enjoy improving our driving skills without killing ourselves.

Cooking at the track is fun too and don't forget the nightly bonfires at the Seneca Lodge when we're at the Glen!

Hope to see you one day soon!

JM
Old 08-24-2002, 06:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Small Block but Mighty

Beware-- the unsuspecting FE
Attached Images