Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2006, 09:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #1048, 392w
Not Ranked     
Default South Bay Roads?

Getting ready for these sunny days, I'm looking for some good road surfaces, twisties (over 35mph)/sweepers/and secluded straights, in the south bay. I'd love some suggestions for small loops, or longer trips if any of you have any...

So far I've tried out:

McClellan Rd - short little jaunt starting at the end of Stevens Creek. Road is really nice until you hit the split off for Stevens Canyon Road... so its a short trip. Continuing up Mt Eden Rd is too tight and the road degrades and there are plenty of driveways down pierce road back to Saratoga Sunnyvale Rd.

I know about highway 9, but am not sure which sections are best - doing the whole bit to Santa Cruz is a significant time commitment. Any interesting sections of highway 35?

I've been out in my Jeep up Mt. Hamilton road (starting in Milpitas?) up by Lick Observatory... which is too twisty to have any fun, but on the backside down San Antonio Valley Rd, and then Out Del Puerto Canyon Road (to Frank Raines Park OHV) it could be a pretty secluded and spirited ride. There isn't anything out there, no gas, and, again to get over Mt. Hamilton it'll take an hour, then at the end of it, you are sitting at the entrance to I5.

-n

Last edited by nblumberg; 03-26-2006 at 10:35 AM..
Old 03-26-2006, 09:54 AM
Beam Me Up Scottie
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1049 Titanium w/black stripes, 351W with Trick Flow Heads, Tremec 3550
Send a message via MSN to wtm442
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

When I was out your way on work/vacation, I found some dynamite roads just north of the SanFran bridge. No cars, no houses - just nice twisty roads. I must have worn 20K miles off the rental car tires in a week.
Old 03-26-2006, 01:08 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1019
Not Ranked     

For great road trips in CA, then check out this site: http://www.pashnit.com/motoroads.htm

Its seems that they now require site registration
Old 03-26-2006, 08:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I also have tried Hicks road - not very good.

Today I tried out Hwy 35 (Skyline) from Saratoga to Woodside - good fast roads (still a little wet). Lots of toys out playing.
Old 05-23-2006, 04:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Got up to the hills again today - if anyone cares...

Went up Woodside to Kings Mountain Rd and popped over the hill using Tunitas Creek Road - STAY OFF this road - its junk. Got out to hwy 1, and it was gorgeous... had to convince myself not to go down to Santa Cruz. Anyhoo, turned inland again on 84 La Honda Rd - and MAN, smooth, wide, FAST... and took me to 4 corners/Alices where I had a 7up and drove back down the hill to 280 and then home. I highly reccomend 84, and takes you right to San Gregorio Beach - part towards the east is a bit tight, but you'll be lovin those sweepers coming down to the coast.

-n

Last edited by nblumberg; 05-23-2006 at 09:50 PM..
Old 05-23-2006, 09:39 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1980 Arntz 427W, Webers, TKO600, Jag IRS
Not Ranked     

-n

Watch for the End Of Summer Cobra Run, Sept 9th at http://www.baccevents.com/ Alices for breakfast, down 84, down 1, Davenport for lunch. Did it last year and it was great.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I don't know if I'd be hungry for lunch the way I was driving today... I guess I should have enjoyed the view
Old 06-24-2006, 11:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

went on another exploratory ride today – somewhat depressing to know that to get to a good drive, you have to hit the highway for 15-20minutes first… anyway, I thought I’d keep sharing.

I’d always liked the roads in between Watsonville and Morgan Hill, so I decided to start at a place I remember some Porsche sponsored rally started out a few years back. I got off of 85/101 at Bernal Rd. and turned south on Santa Teresa Blvd, then Right on Bailey Ave. That takes you up to the Calero Reservoir, and a left takes you on McKean Rd out by Cinnabar Hills Golf Club. Heading south on what turns into Uvas Rd, is a simply nice countryside ride. The ~60-90mph sweepers are nice with the road being somewhat bumpy, but not to the extent it is uncomfortable or challenging to keep balance. Through tree covered areas, narrow bridges, and farmland, it is gorgeous… no one out there this Saturday morning except some bicycles and a couple of stray cars. Further down you come out of the trees to see Uvas Reservoir in front of you which you then follow its for around 2 miles. Some sense of a still tranquility was cut down the middle with the sound of 4 cylinders roaring in each ear – a delight. Upon reaching Watsonville Rd, I turned left and made my way through Morgan Hill back to 101N. Nearly escaped a 5-6 car CHP speed trap on my way back…

To potentially extend the trip (which I may do in the future), a right on Watsonville Rd. will take you down to 152 Hecker Pass Rd (Mt. Madonna) to drop you in to Watsonville – which from there you can play on 1, etc. I know there are some drop dead gorgeous roads tucked in to what I think is north of 152 and west of Uvas Rd. Perhaps I’ll get out there with the Jeep and a GPS to figure out where they were…

Last edited by nblumberg; 06-24-2006 at 11:33 AM..
Old 06-27-2006, 09:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz/Bennett, FE with lots of shinny parts that make it go fast
Not Ranked     

Or check out Tour de Vin

http://www.baccevents.com
Old 06-27-2006, 10:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I will if I can - looks like I have to be in seoul shortly after, so not sure if I can make it... seems I miss all the fun stuff - I haven't made it to one breakfast yet!