Old 11-29-2006, 01:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#1751 CHP 427
Not Ranked     
Default LAE Cobra $30K

Hello Friend

A member in this forum had his car for sale, asking for $30K

I do not know anything about cobra, is there a place you can get "PPI" (pre purchase inspection" for this type of car, and do you think $30K is a fair price ?

Priced to sell: $30K with SB100

He had the car for 2 1/2 year, with 10K miles on the car and engine rebuild last year

I plan to drive down to Ventura this Friday, other than test drive / look at the car. I do not kow what to ask/check

Any advice would be helpfull

Thanks
TC_SJ
Old 11-30-2006, 11:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Any one can share some advice please
Old 11-30-2006, 12:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LA Exotics, 351C/T-5 trans. Guardsman Blue
Not Ranked     

Yes, I'd have to say that $30K is a VERY good price for the LAE, especially since it's already SB100 registered in CA. I also have an LAE that's CA SB100. Mine has a 351C with a T-5 and I wouldn't take less than $30K for it. IMO)
Old 11-30-2006, 12:16 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Hire a decent mechanic to bring with you...one day's pay (maybe half).
Old 11-30-2006, 12:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thank for all replies, if I buy a car with $30K, and I need th soft top, which cost $1695,price would be close to $32K

why are the top is cost so much, does all 427 top are the same or must be custom made by B&B to fit LAE

Thanks
Old 11-30-2006, 12:56 PM
Regularly Offensive
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: spf
Not Ranked     

don't buy a top........you will take it off right after you put it on and never put it on again....they are noisy, can't stop the wind and it may blow off while traveling.....and no you can't just put anyones top on your car they are all differant........ my $.02

Too close for missles, switching to guns.........
Old 11-30-2006, 01:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks, I don't know how I am gonna drive the car from Ventura to San Jose with the cold wheather we have now in CA IF I decide to buy the car

Regards
TC
Old 11-30-2006, 07:00 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Dress like you're going skiing!
Old 11-30-2006, 08:58 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1980 Arntz 427W, Webers, TKO600, Jag IRS
Not Ranked     

That’s right, like your skiing. I wear levis and sweat pants, tee shirt and sweat shirt and fleece ski jacket and gortex ski parka. Ski hat and ski gloves. Clear goggles. I have driven in 32 degrees and today to Carmel at 49 degrees. Dress warm and it’s great. More HP when it’s cold out.
Old 12-01-2006, 05:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LA Exotics, 351C/T-5 trans. Guardsman Blue
Not Ranked     

TC: be VERY darn careful when you drive the Cobra (test drive AND on your way home IF you buy it!!). These cars are a "handfull" and can get away from you in a heartbeat! There was one guy here in San Diego who bought a new BD and wrecked it less than 2 miles from the place where he bought it. Please be very careful driving ANY Cobra until you have some seat time in and are extremely familiar with the car and what it will and won't do. Also note that in WET weather, it's extremely hard to keep a car like this under control. I know the rear end of my LAE continually wants to swap ends with the front in DRY conditions. I honestly would NEVER drive my Cobra in wet conditions. As for the TOP issue, I personally would never put one on mine. Too ugly and, as already stated, almost useless. IMO.
Old 12-01-2006, 08:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique, Southern Automotive stroked 351W 396 ci. 450hp. SOLD IT!
Not Ranked     

TC: I considered buying this car at one time. If it would have been closer to me I might have. I think it's a good buy. It did seem like the roll bar was a bit tall and wide? maybe this is just "unique" to LAE? I don't know.

I agree with Jim, be VERY carefull if you drive. Especially this time of year...cold weather...cold pavement = bad traction...your dream coming to reality and right foot "quiver" can = bad things! Consider buying the trailer he has for sale with the car as a package for 35K (or less ya never know) the trailer looks like it works well. My .02

TC: be VERY darn careful when you drive the Cobra (test drive AND on your way home IF you buy it!!). These cars are a "handfull" and can get away from you in a heartbeat! There was one guy here in San Diego who bought a new BD and wrecked it less than 2 miles from the place where he bought it. Please be very careful driving ANY Cobra until you have some seat time in and are extremely familiar with the car and what it will and won't do. Also note that in WET weather, it's extremely hard to keep a car like this under control. I know the rear end of my LAE continually wants to swap ends with the front in DRY conditions. I honestly would NEVER drive my Cobra in wet conditions. As for the TOP issue, I personally would never put one on mine. Too ugly and, as already stated, almost useless. IMO.[/quote]
Old 12-01-2006, 08:50 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I wish I had a top for my ERA, thinking about getting one. I DID have a top for my Excalibur and used it a LOT!

It's the SUN you see, not the rain. Here in Hawaii the sun can be brutal! Heres a picture of my Excal during an SCCA 'cone racing' event. Note I had the top on. There is ZERO shade at Hawaii Raceway Park. Plus, I thought the top looked pretty good on the Excal.

But from time to time we DO get some pretty fierce 'down pours' with little or no warning. I kept the top in the trunk and it DID help with the occasional rain. OK, I still got wet, but hey, it helped!

Last edited by Excaliber; 12-01-2006 at 08:53 AM..
Old 12-01-2006, 09:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I went to Moorpark today and checked out the car today, Russell showed me his car, nice car and fast, he is very honest and tell me every little things about the car. I thing he got burn in the past, when he purchased the car and cost him ~8K to rebuild the engine. I have not made my offer yet, cause I still need to check out a couple more.

Due to liability, I could not test drive the car, so I can not feel how good the car handle/response, but seem like damn FAST.

Thanks for all the warning,and advice.
BTW I owned Porsche/BMW/Benz, but can not compare to Cobra, so I can not said about the handling

Thanks
TC
Old 12-03-2006, 02:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic CCX 3970: 1965 427 Cobra S/C, Shelby aluminum 427 CSX 290 (468 cu in) engine
Not Ranked     

Lots of good advice for you here, tc_sj. But in the Bay Area, you don't need no stinkin' top. Those things barely work and they really do look ugly; my opinion, of course. Sorry, Ernie. These things are *roadsters,* for cryin' out loud. Wear a hat (securely bolted on) and lots of sunscreen during the summer and lots of layers when it gets colder. Actually, in the heat of the day in summer, I do my driving in the mornings and late afternoons. When the rain clouds gather, keep it in the garage. These things are hard enough to keep pointed down the road when it is dry, let alone when the streets are wet and slippery. Rich
Old 12-03-2006, 08:23 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I like the Cam Back on the Coupe, wrinkle finish on my valve covers and a soft top on my Cobra. So there!
Old 12-04-2006, 06:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LA Exotic
Not Ranked     

I think I called Russell while you were there looking at it...I have an LAE and love it so far...just got it 6 weeks ago...