Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
September 2024
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30          

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-26-2006, 05:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1965 Shelby GT350
Not Ranked     
Default 427 SOHC help.

Hello. I have a 1966 Fairlane GT and am wondering if anyone makes aftermarket SOHC parts, heads, etc? I already have a genesis block, just want to go more wild.
Old 07-26-2006, 05:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000, 427
Not Ranked     

www.doveengineparts.com
"After jumping into an early lead, Miles pitted for no reason. He let the entire field go by before re-entering the race. The crowd was jumping up and down as he stunned the Chevrolet drivers by easily passing the entire field to finish second behind MacDonald's other team Cobra. The Corvette people were completely demoralized."
Old 07-26-2006, 08:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Findling 001 - starting scratch build
Not Ranked     
Wink SOHC parts

Several people are supposedly tooling up to do new SOHC heads in
aluminum. Other cammer bits and pieces aren't that hard to find, but
VERY pricey. A new cammer build will probably be in the mid $30's at
a minimum. NOS cammers appear from time to time, quite pricey as well!

....Fred
Old 07-28-2006, 08:36 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 S.O. Dual Quad / Cobra undecided
Not Ranked     

I have a builder friend with an original set of aluminum cammer heads and he turned down an offer of 6 grand for them,he also has a gear driven timing set up instead of that 7 foot chain that is usually used, that gear drive is simply NOT for sale... so when Fred says pricey.............
Old 07-28-2006, 08:49 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

An interesting foot note on a 64 Thunderbolt 427 CENTER oiler with the very first Hemi Heads:

This car number 10, is even rarer. It was Ford's first experiment with a Hemispherical head engine. Car number 10 was the second "Thunderbolt" sold to Mickey Thompson for $1.00. He also purchased car #7 which was driven By Butch Leal as an unaltered factory original. It was the car #10 that Mickey entered into a contract with Ford to design and engineer a hemispherical head version of the Ford 427 Center oiler engine. The heads were cast from Chrysler hemi heads and machined to fit the Ford block. The intake manifold was designed with the carburetors side by side. The name "Thompson" was cast directly into the valve covers.

Old 07-28-2006, 10:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 w/496 Side Oiler, roller, dual quads
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber
...The intake manifold was designed with the carburetors side by side...
The intake in the picture appears to be a ram induction unit (the right carb feeds the left engine bank, etc.) as used on the two Paxton Supercharged Cobras. It's possibly a modified FE unit, but that's obviously a guess on my part.

Dan
Old 07-29-2006, 12:35 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Dan are you saying there were 2X4 side by side intakes available or used on an FE BEFORE or during 1964?

Perhaps this is also the FIRST example of such an intake (side by side 2X4). Makes me wonder now what the source was for Shelbys twin paxton setup in 1965 or 1966. Where did HE get his manifold?

JOKER21, go for twin 4's side by side on that SOHC application, that would really be different!
Old 07-29-2006, 06:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #726 427 SOHC
Not Ranked     

Gerald Coon makes billet stub cams, teflon chain guides and other misc. parts.
Rotophaze has cam cores that you can send to Crane.
Kevin Jackson should still have some things available.
Spark plug tubes, cam bearings, and timing chains are available reproduction.
I'm working on a mold for spark plug boots.
If you're really after power get a sheet metal intake made. (Hogans)
What other parts are you looking for?

Steve
Old 07-29-2006, 10:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

For cammer parts: Cammer parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber
Dan are you saying there were 2X4 side by side intakes available or used on an FE BEFORE or during 1964?

Perhaps this is also the FIRST example of such an intake (side by side 2X4). Makes me wonder now what the source was for Shelbys twin paxton setup in 1965 or 1966. Where did HE get his manifold?
The Shelby twin Paxton (actually McCullogh) used an Edelbrock 2x4 crossram.
Mickey Thompson produced 2x4 crossrams for any number of engines including the FE, BBC, Pontiac...

The Edelbrock crossram allowed the use of the stock (or at least a regularly driven) distributor. The M/T crossram for the FE required the distributor's drive be extended, with a spliced in piece. This led to some spark issues at higher rpm's when using the M/T manifold with a distributor.
Old 07-29-2006, 11:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 w/496 Side Oiler, roller, dual quads
Not Ranked     

Ernie, the keyword in my post is appears. I can't find a quality picture of the crossram used on the Paxton Cobras, but you can make out the runners on this one, while under restoration:

The crossram was the first intake to make one hp per cubic in. on Edelbrock's dyno in the late '50s, on a smallblock Chevy such as this one:

The intake on the Cobra appears quite similar to the one on the Thunderbolt you posted; you may have to enlarge the image.

Dan
Old 07-29-2006, 12:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4083, NOS 427 SOHC, serial number 589. Dyno'd in 1967 at 629HP with single 4v 560 Holley. Now with 4 Webers.
Not Ranked     

Here is the custom SOHC Weber manifold built for my cammer car by Hogan's Manifolds in CA and being finished by Inglese Inductions in CT:
Old 07-29-2006, 02:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1965 Shelby GT350
Not Ranked     

Well, after much consideration I believe I have decided to bore and stroke my engine to somewhere near 520ci, and I believe I am going to have hogans make me a 2x4 intake. I wanted a SOHC, but the engine alone is around $35,000. A bit too pricey for me.
Old 07-29-2006, 02:56 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

An interesting topic, this history of cammers, Hemis and 2X4 intakes.