Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
September 2024
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30          

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-31-2006, 07:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP
Not Ranked     
Default Single or dual carb?

I like the look of the Stellings & Hellings air cleaner (with a K&N element). However, we all know that you cannot flow nearly enough air through one on a BB, especially the larger displacement high performance BBs that are made today. My understanding is that a single carb is easier to live with and is more driveable than a dual carb set-up. However, if my goals are to keep a somewhat stock or period look (not necessarily 100% accurate, but I don't want an Xtreme lid or an 18" filter), to get great performance and driveability, and have a motor that stays in tune (I want to drive, not tinker), should I go with a dual carb set-up with S&H air filters (and K&N elements) since two small filters should flow twice as much air as one small filter,or just stick with what I have?

I have a KC 482 ci Shelby BB with a single Pro Systems carb that makes about 630 hp/tq. It drives really well currently and I don't want to mess that up. However, I am not sure what I am missing, so I am not sure if doubling the air filter area will make things even better. I also want to keep the stock KMP hood scoop.

Thanks

I'm no expert.
Old 08-01-2006, 04:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000, 427
Not Ranked     

Don't nascar sb's make 750+ HP with a single carb?
"After jumping into an early lead, Miles pitted for no reason. He let the entire field go by before re-entering the race. The crowd was jumping up and down as he stunned the Chevrolet drivers by easily passing the entire field to finish second behind MacDonald's other team Cobra. The Corvette people were completely demoralized."
Old 08-01-2006, 04:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison, 434 cid
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony
Most are closer to 850 these days and now that they're getting the new D3 head figured out the Fords guys have reported 860.
Old 08-01-2006, 05:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 S/C 427 FE S.O. 484 cu in
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew Ledyard
I like the look of the Stellings & Hellings air cleaner (with a K&N element). However, we all know that you cannot flow nearly enough air through one on a BB, especially the larger displacement high performance BBs that are made today. My understanding is that a single carb is easier to live with and is more driveable than a dual carb set-up. However, if my goals are to keep a somewhat stock or period look (not necessarily 100% accurate, but I don't want an Xtreme lid or an 18" filter), to get great performance and driveability, and have a motor that stays in tune (I want to drive, not tinker), should I go with a dual carb set-up with S&H air filters (and K&N elements) since two small filters should flow twice as much air as one small filter,or just stick with what I have?

I have a KC 482 ci Shelby BB with a single Pro Systems carb that makes about 630 hp/tq. It drives really well currently and I don't want to mess that up. However, I am not sure what I am missing, so I am not sure if doubling the air filter area will make things even better. I also want to keep the stock KMP hood scoop.

Thanks
Lew, Don't mess with something that ain't broken.
Old 08-01-2006, 05:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane 427S/C, KC/Pond aluminum 427/482 SO, TKO 600
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony
But they're not using a single Stellings air filter,...
Old 08-01-2006, 06:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

"Don't nascar sb's make 750+ HP with a single carb?"

Not with the 8" Stellings & Hellings air filters.

I am not trying to determine whether a dual carb set-up makes more power than a single carb set-up in general. I am looking for guidance as to whether a dual carb high performance big block motor with two Stellings air filters makes more power and is just as, or even more, driveable than a single carb big block set-up with one Stellings air filter (with all else being equal).

It seems one argument for a dual carb set-up might be a way to keep the Stellings air filters (for those of us who like that look) and allow a little better breathing (since there are two small filters rather than one). I am curious as to whether there are any trade-offs.

I'm no expert.
Old 08-01-2006, 06:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naumoff
Lew, Don't mess with something that ain't broken.
That's very good advice that I should follow.

I'm no expert.

Last edited by Lew Ledyard; 08-01-2006 at 06:21 PM..
Old 08-01-2006, 06:32 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF2089
Not Ranked     

Lew:Yes that is very good advise, and you should follow it. I have a feeling you wont.
Old 08-01-2006, 06:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: titanium,blk stripes 427 ERA-682 428SCJ 2x4 toploader
Not Ranked     

Lew; I am using a 2x4 setup that I purchased from Carl's Ford Parts in Ohio.I believe a good single carb makes as much if not more power.I chose this induction system for the right look. I have no regrets as the car idles smooth,pulls hard with no coughs or stumbles. Check out my photos,I am also running stellings with K&n filters. Regards Jack
Old 08-02-2006, 03:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Lew,
I went with the 2x4s for the look. That being said I have not touched my carbs with 6000miles on the Cobra and regularly make milk runs aswell as cruises.

If you go by all the calcuators for sizing carbs for your engine 2x4 1200cfm is to much.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:45 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I think the sizing calculators for carbs are a lot like the drag race calculators for cars. An interesting guideline, not to be taken to seriously. Real world conditions, in many cases, just cannot be reconciled with the carb calculations.

1200 cfm, all though a bit small, will work. 1350 would be 'just right'! Seriously, it IS true that in plenty of cases for 'street' car over carbing is a common problem. I'd rather be 'rich' than 'lean' however.

During the GT-40 days when Shelby needed more horse power he went to a 2X4 setup. A single four is the best call for easier tuning and engine management, it's not always the best call for horse power.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:56 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 S.O. Dual Quad / Cobra undecided
Not Ranked     

The dual quads do look nice, mine is set up for primary running on one carb only, but the second can be brought into play quickly, and must be done so carefully.
The other picture is the K@N dual quad filter, I lost about 7hp using this filter as opposed to no filter at all.

Last edited by lineslinger; 08-02-2006 at 10:08 AM..
Old 08-02-2006, 12:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Nice engine Lineslinger.

Ernie
Old 08-02-2006, 07:24 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 S.O. Dual Quad / Cobra undecided
Not Ranked     

Thanks Naumoff...you too man.
Old 08-02-2006, 07:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default A different way to get there.

Lew, because you like the Stellings air cleaner look and want to stay with it have you ever thought of making your own air cleaner that replicates the Stellings, but a bit larger?
Find a shop, or do it yourself. I see a sheet of SS used for the top and bottom (able to polish like chrome without the hassles of chrome wear). Form the top to look like the Stellings yet make it larger for your needs and match it to an easily attainable air cleaner element that fits the needs too. Just an idea.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:31 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: owned Kirkham for 11 years
Not Ranked     

Lew.

I have the Stellings on 2 660`s sitting on a tunnel wedge intake.

Seems to make good power up to the chip at 6500.

I like the look and the feel of the acceleration they provide, and don`t notice any breathing problems.

664 hp at 5800

Go for it,
Maurice Lawrence
Old 08-07-2006, 08:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Maurice:

Did Keith Craft provide the dual carb set-up?

Thanks,

Lew

I'm no expert.
Old 08-07-2006, 09:40 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Paint:Metalflakes Royal and Abalone stripes registered in France in 1973. Engine: Ford Shelby aluminium block, 482; two 4-barrels 600cfm Holley; Edelbrock Performer Aluminium heads,,fluid damper,4-speeds Aluminium Toploader (short), 2.88rear
Send a message via Skype™ to BOURRET
Not Ranked     

I have a Keith Craft 428 with two four barrels Holleys ( 2 X 600 cfm) equipped with a single big oval filter (Green K/N)
Old 08-08-2006, 08:27 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: owned Kirkham for 11 years
Not Ranked     

Hi , Lew

Yes, Keith did supply the Dove manifold and engineered the fit to the heads and installed spacers as he saw fit to make it all work.

Maurice
Old 08-08-2006, 08:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427SC w/427so, ERA GT #2002
Not Ranked     

Lew: Another considered when choosing 2X4's versus a single four-barrel doesn't have anything to do with performance or looks, but with insurance coverage. A lot of insurers, justified or not, won't insure a Cobra or other performance cars equipped with multiple carburetion. Check with your insurance man, then go with curb appeal if 2x4's are no problem. Them dual fours sho' do look good.

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough HORSEPOWER." Mark Donohue