Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
September 2024
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30          

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-25-2006, 03:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 94' ccx33835, Shelby dark blue street style, 428PI, toploader.
Send a message via AIM to NKOTB Send a message via Yahoo to NKOTB
Not Ranked     
Default Holman Moody Steel 427SO coming

Hi fellas,

I didn't see any posts about this, but made a call last week to Holman Moody, based on a parking lot conversation I had last weekend at the Riverstone Parkway Cruise-in here northwest of Atlanta. I spoke to Mr Holman (one of the son's) last week, and they think they are about 6 months from getting their 1st castings right on a steel 427 block.... I think he said it would be somewhere in the $4500 price range... He also said a more robust model would follow in time with re-enforced pieces for turbo and SC applications...

Whaddya think of that? How about a csx4### with a full tilt HM block? Cool eh? "They's just goes together like peas an carrots", as Forrest would say
DD
Old 08-25-2006, 03:57 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Cool! .
Old 08-25-2006, 04:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000, 427
Not Ranked     

aren't genesis iron 427's $3500, and for $4500 you can have an aluminum pond or genesis 427.
"After jumping into an early lead, Miles pitted for no reason. He let the entire field go by before re-entering the race. The crowd was jumping up and down as he stunned the Chevrolet drivers by easily passing the entire field to finish second behind MacDonald's other team Cobra. The Corvette people were completely demoralized."
Old 08-25-2006, 10:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: -Sold- Contemporary 427S/C # CCX-3152 1966 427 Med Rise Side Oiler, 8v 3.54:1 Salisbury IRS, Koni's.. (Now I'm riding Harleys)
Not Ranked     

They are, but they are not really 427 side oilers... I don't want to start a wizzing match but there is something really different about the sound of a real 427 that the arrruumminum block and head engines don't have.

I spent $10k for a rebuilt 427 that was .015 over in pieces. I would love to have found a NOS block but they were 5k at that time and they generally need plenty of machine work and prep. I'd go $4500 for a new OEM side oiler with the machining done and ready to assemble.

A man that is young in years, may be old in hours, if he have lost no time. But that happeneth rarely. Generally, youth is like the first cogitations, not so wise as the second. For there is a youth in thoughts, as well as in ages... Sir Francis Bacon (1561-1626)
Old 08-26-2006, 03:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOBRAC
They are, but they are not really 427 side oilers... I don't want to start a wizzing match but there is something really different about the sound of a real 427 that the arrruumminum block and head engines don't have.

I spent $10k for a rebuilt 427 that was .015 over in pieces. I would love to have found a NOS block but they were 5k at that time and they generally need plenty of machine work and prep. I'd go $4500 for a new OEM side oiler with the machining done and ready to assemble.

Using that thinking then the only "real" 427 S/O block are those that were made by Ford. H/M falls exactly in the same catagory as Pond and Genesis. I see no benefit, other that the name, over the others.
Old 08-26-2006, 06:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 94' ccx33835, Shelby dark blue street style, 428PI, toploader.
Not Ranked     

I think the value's in the name AND the ability to piece together an exact reproduction... Iron heads and all. now someone just needs to produce a bell housing that protects like steel/aluminum, but looks like the OEM Ford cast ones... I think I'm more fond of putting together a visual time machine, than I am an all out performer. IMHO.
Old 08-26-2006, 06:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

And which chassis is an 'exact reproduction'?
Old 08-26-2006, 11:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The Genesis block is practically, from the exterior, an exact duplicate of the OEM block. It even has the correct Ford casting numbers for the 427 S/O (as Pond does too). I can't imagine how H/M's offering could look any more correct than the cast iron Genesis.
Old 08-26-2006, 02:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane 427S/C, KC/Pond aluminum 427/482 SO, TKO 600
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOBRAC
They are, but they are not really 427 side oilers...
Mine is a side oiler,.... I'm not really sure what you mean???

Brad
Old 08-26-2006, 02:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane 427S/C, KC/Pond aluminum 427/482 SO, TKO 600
Not Ranked     

Are you saying it's not an original, vintage, "REAL" side oiler block?
Old 08-26-2006, 03:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic CCX 3970: 1965 427 Cobra S/C, Shelby aluminum 427 CSX 290 (468 cu in) engine
Not Ranked     

Michael: You have my curiosity up, just what is "something really different about the sound of a real 427 (I presume you mean 'original 427') that arruminium block and head engines don't have?" I've always thought that 427s sounded similar, of course depending upon how high the compression is, how radical the valve timing is, how minimal the exhaust is, etc. Of course I often have my earplugs in when I hear some of these beasts... Rich
Old 08-26-2006, 03:21 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Well the it sounds to me like an alloy block and heads is NOT what I had in mind when I bought my car. I wanted a vintage 427 side oiler WITH iron heads.

I'd take a modern iron block over an alloy block as well. I don't know, alloy just doesn't 'sound right' to me for MY 'time machine'. When I rebuilt the motor I also went with a flat tappet cam, because, well, a 'roller' cam just didn't 'sound right'.

As far as 'true side oiler' goes, the Shelby blocks are not really 'side oilers'. Perhaps they are even better, but thats not the point. As for HM, Pond or Genesis, I don't know if there true side oilers or not.

Yeah, I KNOW it's a replica, so what does it matter? Well if it doesn't matter to you why don't you run a VW engine and put an auto trans behind it? After all, it's 'only' a replica, put some nice 20" chrome wheels on it, maybe a big air foil in the back and some cool neon lights under the side pipes while your at it. After all, it's only a replica. Where do YOU draw the line? I wanted a side oiler, period, my car my choice, do what you want with yours (as so many screwed up replicas attest to)!

If you can't appreciate a side oiler, you might want to follow this guys lead (warning VW powered):

Last edited by Excaliber; 08-26-2006 at 03:32 PM..
Old 08-26-2006, 03:52 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKOTB
Hi fellas,

I didn't see any posts about this, but made a call last week to Holman Moody, based on a parking lot conversation I had last weekend at the Riverstone Parkway Cruise-in here northwest of Atlanta. I spoke to Mr Holman (one of the son's) last week, and they think they are about 6 months from getting their 1st castings right on a steel 427 block.... I think he said it would be somewhere in the $4500 price range... He also said a more robust model would follow in time with re-enforced pieces for turbo and SC applications...

Whaddya think of that? How about a csx4### with a full tilt HM block? Cool eh? "They's just goes together like peas an carrots", as Forrest would say
DD

Possibly they're going to partner with Genesis, who's a relative unknown, lending their BRAND name to Genesis' product for a markup, to bring a Genesis block up to $4,500 (machined and actually ready to use).

Personally, and I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think there's enough choice today as far as FE blocks go.

All these guys developing blocks and (SOHC) heads, do they KNOW that in less than a year there's going to be a new SOHC FACTORY 427 ENGINE called (currently) the Hurricane (though likely to be called Boss when finally introduced)? And the new Boss engine'll have SOHC's, VVT, DOD and EFI, from the factory?

If you're putting non-original, non-vintage motors in, why not put in a modern engine? It's going to be basically a 21st century FE.

If anyone's going to develop a new block, develop one that'll allow someone to bolt on a new set of Boss heads with the related injection hardware since it'll have veeeerrrrrry close to the same bore spacing. With a little creative offset cylinder casting, we could have a bolt on situation.
Old 08-26-2006, 04:26 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Why not? WHY NOT????? I can think of a bunch of reasons!
Old 08-26-2006, 05:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

DavidNJ,

I would say the new csx4### frames, the custom - from original plan built ones & .... Oh yeah! Contemporary ;-)

Undy, OK I'll defer to you on this one, but maybe Genesis and Pond get some price pressure now & poor 428 guys like me can afford a 427 one day like the more fortunate ones. (I do have a little engine envy, can you blame me)

DD
Old 08-26-2006, 05:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, Pond Aluminum 482FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgs
Mine is a side oiler,.... I'm not really sure what you mean???

Brad

Yeah, I don't really understand that comment, either. The Pond blocks are really sideoilers.
Old 08-26-2006, 05:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

DD - The Contemporary frames are not true to original - they simply have round main rails with a slightly thicker wall, than the original CSX's. Other than that they are not much alike. Just lettin ya know. Is your car painted yet?

Michael - I'm hearing ya man - an original solid lifter fourtwentyseven has a sound all it's own.
Old 08-26-2006, 07:22 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 228, Roush 342R, 457HP/428TQ, modified AOD
Not Ranked     

Ernie,

C'mon, don't tell me that you don't want your Cobra to look like that.

It certainly is "different".

Cheers!
Dave
Old 08-26-2006, 08:54 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Kind of gives a whole new meaning to 'bundle of snakes' for the exhaust system.

It DOES pain me a little to suggest their might be 'short comings' with anothers guys interpretation of his replica. I'm sure the owner was very proud of his work and it is 'different'. The car has been on Cobra Country offered for sale for MONTHS at $12K. If you want to do it YOUR way, just plan on keeping it for awhile.
Old 08-26-2006, 09:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey Cracker,
Can't I still fantasize? At least it's got some round tubing. ;-)

No. No paint yet... Bruce is a bit busy... maybe next month. thx for asking.

DD