Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
September 2024
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30          

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-29-2006, 07:17 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham/Southern 427 SO finally on the road
Not Ranked     
Default installing new intake gasket on sideoiler

I've got a small oil leak at the rear of my Edelbrock intake manifold, on an original '65 sideoiler. Is it best to pull the carb, thermostat housing, etc and then remove the intake, or can I do a good job using a "cherry picker" to lift the entire "kit and kaboodle" off the block? Any other pearls of wisdom? thanx
steve meltzer "never enough time to do it right, always enough time to do it over"
Old 08-29-2006, 09:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

Have you thought of trying to apply a "Dab" of a sealant such as "The Right Stuff"? It is an unvulcanized rubber that cures and does a very good job, much better than silicone. That would sure save you a lot of effort and time. Clean with Carb or Brake cleaner or lacquer thinner before applying. Good stuff!

http://www.permatex.com/brand_right_stuff.htm

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way

Last edited by Rick Parker; 08-30-2006 at 08:32 AM..
Old 08-30-2006, 07:16 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Rick, thanx for the idea. i tried regular "copper" silicone, but it didn't work. I'll try your idea and thanx again. s
Old 08-30-2006, 08:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

Steve you have PM

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 08-30-2006, 09:43 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I prefer to remove the carbs and what ever accessories from the intake so I can totally focus on setting that intake down EXCATLY in the right position. I simply used basic silicone seal, front and back, no leaks.
Old 08-30-2006, 01:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 w/496 Side Oiler, roller, dual quads
Not Ranked     

I've left the carbs on, but I prefer to remove the water pump and whatever is in the way of doing that; otherwise you've got to install the intake at an angle with the front of it down to get the bypass hose on. It's my opinion the front seal can get messed up installing the intake that way. As Ernie stated, it's better to set the intake straight down.
I hope you're able to patch the leak as Rick suggested.

Dan
Old 08-30-2006, 04:03 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

thanx for all of the advice. i'll clean off all of the RTV I've caked on and try Rick's idea and let you know. Iffin it doens't work, I'll take it apart. thanx again. s
Old 08-30-2006, 10:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I don't want to beat a dead horse but those of you that haven't tried this product owe it to yourself to do so. It has quite a bit more body that RTV, or silicone, and it doesn't flow or squirt out as quickly. It works excellent for front covers, oil pans, front & rear mains, and thermostat housings. I use this exclusively since I discovered it.

Old 08-30-2006, 10:37 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Good tip Rick, I think I'll check it out.
Old 08-31-2006, 07:42 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sure sounds like heresey to me! So even on valve cover gaskets and water pumps, etc, you use the "Right Stuff" instead of silicone? In all applications where you use it, do you use it just like you'd use silicone? I started the clean up of the old RTV I'd slathered on the manifold leak, in anticipation of using "The Right Stuff" this weekend. I'll keep you posted. thanx again. steve
Old 08-31-2006, 10:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

While it's great to have another option, silicone works fine for me, so I see no reason to change products at this time. Is there a price difference between the two Rick? If I could save a bit and still have acceptable results I might be persuaded. I also accept bribes...

Dan
Old 08-31-2006, 09:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Carnut427: No, quite the converse."The Right Stuff" comes in an aerosol can like that cheese you put on crackers except a little larger, its about $10 bucks a can. It works! Silicone is no longer in my vocabulary.

Old 08-31-2006, 10:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Rick, I respect your opinions; however, since I'm quite satisfied with silicone, it makes no sense to me to pay more for a different product that does the same job. Your priorities are obviously different, and I'm cool with that.

Dan
Old 09-01-2006, 10:39 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates, Genesis 427 S/O
Not Ranked     

Steve,

It is very important to let the silicone or the right stuff dry for 8-10 hours before you restart the engine!

Chris
Old 09-05-2006, 09:29 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Rick, I put "The Right Stuff" in the area of the leak, after cleaning it well. I let it dry for 24 hours and then drove it about 10 miles...dry so far! thanx for the good help. It looks very promising! steve